Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Vincenzo said:
    'the vote is costing the Treasury 440 million pounds a week, far more than the U.K. ever contributed to the EU budget' - Boris, Gove, Redwood, Mogg and any other members of disgusting bunch of professional self-servers who promoted this nonsense ought to have the indelibly tattooed on their foreheads. Words do not exist which adequately convey my contempt for them.
    Quite. Its a good job that HM Opposition is there to resolutely oppose these tossers and provide the British people with a coherent alternative.

What? oh....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/url-jeremy-corbyn-brexit-economic-labour-party-cheap-labour-migrants-eu-a8460696.html?amp
  • Options
    Surely it is the job of their fellow Conservatives to oppose them and deal with them!
  • Options
    So it turns out that leaving with no deal risks the payment of pensions to Brits living abroad in the EU.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

So it turns out that leaving with no deal risks the payment of pensions to Brits living abroad in the EU.

I think there is risk to the payment of pensions to Brits living in the U.K. If we leave with no deal!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bobmunro said:

Surely it is the job of their fellow Conservatives to oppose them and deal with them!

Corbyn in relation to Brexit has been a complete and utter tosser.

Blind faith, Mutts?
    More not blind opposition.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    There have been no real reassurances for us Brits abroad and it is a concern but I think the government are reluctant to do much for fear of alienating many of the Brexit voters who have a mindset that people living abroad are 'traitors'. Sadly the worst affected are the retired or soon to be retired, including servicemen and women who deserve the right to enjoy their well earned retirement that they spent so long working and planning for.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Blind faith, Mutts?
    Hey, I'm a Labour man - no blind opposition from me.

So you believe Corbyn has performed well when it comes to the Brexit debate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Blind faith, Mutts?

He's been nothing short of an absolute disgrace.
    Agreed (and I’m a labour voter)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Blind faith, Mutts?

He's been nothing short of an absolute disgrace.
    Agreed (and I’m a labour voter)

Yep. Me too

• Options
    I said this early on in the old (closed) thread. It doesn't matter if you're pro-leave or pro-remain, the current and previous showers of shite are simply incapable of delivering an outcome that won't damage the country massively.

Therefore, the only logical thing to do was vote remain, even if you wanted to leave, and hope that there'd be another opportunity when somebody with the intelligence and skills required to deliver a successful Brexit was in power.

As it stands either Brexit is going to fuck us all, or it will be abandoned and the brexiters unsightly rush to force it through now may mean it won't happen for a generation or more, if ever.
  • Options
    Ed miliband could munch a bacon sarnie on good morning britain every morning and be further ahead in the polls than corbyn at the moment.

We long past the point where any semblance of a good opposition would've torn down this tory government.

And i don't buy the "its not our job to oppose brexit" when the complaint pre-corbyn was that labour where just austerity-lite. Well now they're just "hard brexit-lite".
  • Options
    cabbles said:

collectively, our political parties are a shower of shit. Brexit has shone a light on them and they have been found drastically wanting.

I'm sure there are some decent individuals in all of the parties, but when they operate as a collective (particularly those in cabinet/shadow cabinet roles), they are a disgrace

I totally agree cabbles.
    I did not vote in the last general election. It was the first time I had not voted since I became eligible to vote at the age of 21, many years ago.
    There was not a party I felt I could support.
    This parliament are taking our country along a dangerous path.

I note that our new foreign secretary has already starting the usual Tory blame game of everyone else's fault if we cannot get our own way in negotiations.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

collectively, our political parties are a shower of shit. Brexit has shone a light on them and they have been found drastically wanting.

I'm sure there are some decent individuals in all of the parties, but when they operate as a collective (particularly those in cabinet/shadow cabinet roles), they are a disgrace

I think there have been some very honourable exceptions. Dominic Grieve is what I always imagined a senior politician should be. Fiercely intelligent, knowledgeable, principled, articulate, patriotic, country before party and having a deep understanding of and loyalty to our democratic values and processes. I am truly shocked every time I see Gavin Williamson and realise that he is in the cabinet and has leadership ambitions while Grieve is destined to always be on the back benches! Compared to Grieve Williamson has the intelligence and integrity of a dog turd.

Anna Soubry has been courageous in the face of the obnoxious Nazi Brexiteers in her own party.

Chukka Umma has been consistently and articulately fighting the Remain cause in the Labour Party.

As for Vince Cable, the leader of the party I voted for at the last election (the first time I did not vote Labour in my life time) I cannot find the words to adequately describe what a complete ineffectual twat and waste of space he has been!
  • Options
    Labour on brexit has been totally useless.
    My fall back position is to assess the individual who wants to be my local MP.
    Luckily, despite being Labour, she is opposed to the official party line on brexit.
    Labour should stick to being an opposition of this nightmare Tory administration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still a Tory twat obv ;)
  • Options

cabbles said:

I think there have been some very honourable exceptions. Dominic Grieve is what I always imagined a senior politician should be. Fiercely intelligent, knowledgeable, principled, articulate, patriotic, country before party and having a deep understanding of and loyalty to our democratic values and processes. I am truly shocked every time I see Gavin Williamson and realise that he is in the cabinet and has leadership ambitions while Grieve is destined to always be on the back benches! Compared to Grieve Williamson has the intelligence and integrity of a dog turd.

Anna Soubry has been courageous in the face of the obnoxious Nazi Brexiteers in her own party.

Chukka Umma has been consistently and articulately fighting the Remain cause in the Labour Party.

As for Vince Cable, the leader of the party I voted for at the last election (the first time I did not vote Labour in my life time) I cannot find the words to adequately describe what a complete ineffectual twat and waste of space he has been!
    I'd like to give an honourable mention to Lady Sylvia Hermon, it's nice to know that we have one thoughtful and honourable politician over here (and I'm saying this as someone who would never vote for her, admittedly, mostly because she's elected in a constituency more than 70 miles away).
  • Options
    Add to those mentioned already heseltine who I thought argued the remain cause to most effect before and after the referendum, and clegg. Britain is crying out for an effective party of the centre, where are you chukka your country needs you?
  • Options
    Vince Cable... I've laid cables that would make a better leader
  • Options
    When his party needed him, Chukka did a runner. Don't need people who talk a good game then disappear when it really matters.
  • Options
    I think the illusion of what we want Chukka to be is much better than the reality.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

When his party needed him, Chukka did a runner. Don't need people who talk a good game then disappear when it really matters.

Did he, it was far more complicated then that, and there is nothing to say he would of won. The problems started when the wrong Milliband won.

By the way, @RedArmySE7 transition from Lexiter to hard core remainer is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen, feel like a proud father

• Options

Add to those mentioned already heseltine who I thought argued the remain cause to most effect before and after the referendum, and clegg. Britain is crying out for an effective party of the centre, where are you chukka your country needs you?

I think that the biggest problem in getting a credible centrist party off the ground is that many 'centrist' Labour MPs would be very reluctant to jump ship (the likes of Chukka, Yvette Cooper, Rachel Reeves, Stephen Kinnock etc.). They understand the need for someone to fill the centrist space but, I feel, are hoping that it will ultimately be Labour after the cult of Corbyn has died out.

I think Soubry, Grieve, Morgan and co. would leave the Tories in a heartbeat and who could blame them.

Sadly, this could have been the Lib Dem moment but, for a whole host of reasons, their credibility is low.

I really hope such a new party does happen but not sure if enough MPs yet have the appetite to shift. Also, whilst it's clear that many posters on this thread are keen to see a new centrist party, will the country as a whole welcome it in the same way France did with Macron?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!