Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No doubt some Brexit politician with the usual shit for brains will pop up later and claim it is just more scaremongering!
    No, blackmail actually
    Or perhaps one of the most influential car makers on the planet setting out to protect the interests of its shareholders in the face of being threatened by perhaps the biggest shooting ones own feet fest the world of business has ever seen. If the one month closure also has the effect of one across the bows of this lunatic project then I’m sure we all see that as an added benefit.

As I said,blackmail...That you approve of apparently. Great to be a Remainer welcoming workers being laid off.
    I will dig a little deeper into your assumption.
    Correct me if I am wrong by the way, but you seem to be suggesting that German BMW/Mini are somehow blackmailing the UK by threatening to halt production in the UK the day after formal brexit.
    It seems to follow that if blackmail holds a threat, then the threat is that stopping production will be damaging in some way, to the UK.
    (If you don't see it as damaging then it is no biggie is it, or certainly as big as 'blackmail'?).
    So if blackmail is to exert some kind of influence, force change, or force action what do you believe BMW to be blackmailing the UK into? Into saying 'oh feck, BMW don't like it, we must call brexit off!' Or are BMW after some other result? Is what they do their own business, the same as what the UK does is it's own business?
    How are two entities going about their business be said to be one entity blackmailing another?
    Are you saying that BMW must, under some kind of compulsion, continue to have production? If so what kind of compulsion, legal? Moral? Financial?
    There is no blackmail going on because no demands are being set out by BMW.
    Unless you actually know what is written on BMW's 'or else' note.
  • seth plum said:

This is a Tory MP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bridgen

This is what he says:

Listen and weep.

Jesus Christ! it is becoming clearer by the day that the Brexiteer politicians are as dumb and moronic as the Brexit voters!
    And some wonder why there is no balance to these debates. Going to ignore this comment too @cabbles ? I'm sorry but this sort of keyboard warrior shit really pushes my buttons.

Why can't you just accept that some people have a view that's not the same as your's? You might then help the world to be a better place.
    He ignores every deliberately trolling post by Chippy so why shouldn't he ignore my posts?

Again judging me by your own standard...troll.... tell me a link I have posted except eu facts that was mailed to me....

That’s Spanish by the way Chips ;0)
  • clb74 said:

seth plum said:

This is a Tory MP:

This is what he says:

Listen and weep.

Jesus Christ! it is becoming clearer by the day that the Brexiteer politicians are as dumb and moronic as the Brexit voters!
    Thank f@ck I voted leave, wouldn't of wanted to be on the same side as you.
    John Smiths comes to mind.
  • seth plum said:

This is a Tory MP:

This is what he says:

Listen and weep.

And some wonder why there is no balance to these debates. Going to ignore this comment too @cabbles ? I'm sorry but this sort of keyboard warrior shit really pushes my buttons.

Why can't you just accept that some people have a view that's not the same as your's? You might then help the world to be a better place.
    He ignores every deliberately trolling post by Chippy so why shouldn't he ignore my posts?

Again judging me by your own standard...troll.... tell me a link I have posted except eu facts that was mailed to me....

You should be on University challenge you are so bright.
  • seth plum said:

This is a Tory MP:

This is what he says:

Listen and weep.

You are eminently more qualified than me.

• seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No doubt some Brexit politician with the usual shit for brains will pop up later and claim it is just more scaremongering!
    No, blackmail actually
    Or perhaps one of the most influential car makers on the planet setting out to protect the interests of its shareholders in the face of being threatened by perhaps the biggest shooting ones own feet fest the world of business has ever seen. If the one month closure also has the effect of one across the bows of this lunatic project then I’m sure we all see that as an added benefit.

As I said,blackmail...That you approve of apparently. Great to be a Remainer welcoming workers being laid off.
    Correct me if I am wrong by the way, but you seem to be suggesting that German BMW/Mini are somehow blackmailing the UK by threatening to halt production in the UK the day after formal brexit.
    It seems to follow that if blackmail holds a threat, then the threat is that stopping production will be damaging in some way, to the UK.
    (If you don't see it as damaging then it is no biggie is it, or certainly as big as 'blackmail'?).
    So if blackmail is to exert some kind of influence, force change, or force action what do you believe BMW to be blackmailing the UK into? Into saying 'oh feck, BMW don't like it, we must call brexit off!' Or are BMW after some other result? Is what they do their own business, the same as what the UK does is it's own business?
    How are two entities going about their business be said to be one entity blackmailing another?
    Are you saying that BMW must, under some kind of compulsion, continue to have production? If so what kind of compulsion, legal? Moral? Financial?
    I am saying that a German company that does not want us to leave the EU is threatening to lay British workers off when we do.
    If that is not blackmail what is?
  • seth plum said:

This is a Tory MP:

This is what he says:

Listen and weep.

You are eminently more qualified than me.

I am indeed.
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

I am saying that a German company that does not want us to leave the EU is threatening to lay British workers off when we do.
    Erm not.

It’s a business. It will do everything it can to protect that business and it’s shareholders profits. Quite simple concept. What would you have them do ? Think that even though Brexit is bad for their business they don’t have their own options and sanctions ?

• Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

They will be one of many who will hide behind brexit as a means of moving, shutting down and laying off, They know it too but dont have the bollocks to admit it. The other day some were talking about Jaguar and Land Rover, Indian owned run by a German...hardly remember them whining about steel workers jobs when the Indians were messing it up.
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Financial prudence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

They will be one of many who will hide behind brexit as a means of moving, shutting down and laying off, They know it too but dont have the bollocks to admit it. The other day some were talking about Jaguar and Land Rover, Indian owned run by a German...hardly remember them whining about steel workers jobs when the Indians were messing it up.
    Read that back and explain to me any part that has a foot in logic.

• Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

You on drugs tonight
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

You on drugs tonight
    Actually yes.

• Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

You on drugs tonight
    Actually yes.

I thought so at what point is a HVAC question going to come into it.
  • edited September 2018

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Erm not.

It’s a business. It will do everything it can to protect that business and it’s shareholders profits. Quite simple concept. What would you have them do ? Think that even though Brexit is bad for their business they don’t have their own options and sanctions ?

Let us hope that the Labour Party and the TUC, those defenders of the working class, oppose this attack on workers' living standards.
    Heard anything from them yet?
  • Stig said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Financial prudence.
    So you approve?
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Blackmail to what end?
  • seth plum said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Blackmail to what end?
    To accept whatever crap deal the EU offer us.
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Does it matter if they 'admit' what you say they won't admit anyway?
    You say they will blame business decisions on brexit, when really they are business decisions based on something else, but so what?
    Are you attempting to say that brexit is fine and dandy and fundamentally robust but failing businesses are using it as an excuse, an excuse to cover up...to cover up what?
  • Southbank said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Erm not.

Let us hope that the Labour Party and the TUC, those defenders of the working class, oppose this attack on workers' living standards.
    Heard anything from them yet?
    There is no attack on workers living standards though is there?
    When House of Fraser, or Toys Are Us folded was that an 'attack on workers living standards'?
    I looked like the consequence of something, not an attack on anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:

Stig said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Financial prudence.
    So you approve?
    They are a private business, as long as they don't break any laws it's up to them what they do. Whether you like it or not, big business is very jittery about what will happen after Brexit. There are no serious economists suggesting that things will be better, most are saying that they will be significantly worse, even Brexit proponents are saying that it may take 50 years to notice any benefits. What in the meantime, do you expect the likes of BMW to just soak it up and take a massive never ending hit?

Try stepping away from your hobby horse for a minute. What is in it for BMW? Absolutely nothing. Would you seriously prefer that they say nothing now and then pull out once the damage is done?
  • The only problem with Brexit is these foreign-owned firms not believing in it strongly enough. If only they'd get behind it and stop bothering so much about so-called "losing money". It's all project fear.

(Am I doing this right yet?)
  • Stig said:

Southbank said:

Stig said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Financial prudence.
    So you approve?
    They are a private business, as long as they don't break any laws it's up to them what they do. Whether you like it or not, big business is very jittery about what will happen after Brexit. There are no serious economists suggesting that things will be better, most are saying that they will be significantly worse, even Brexit proponents are saying that it may take 50 years to notice any benefits. What in the meantime, do you expect the likes of BMW to just soak it up and take a massive never ending hit?

Try stepping away from your hobby horse for a minute. What is in it for BMW? Absolutely nothing. Would you seriously prefer that they say nothing now and then pull out once the damage is done?
    What is in it for the owners of BMW is their desire to retain the EU status quo. It is perfectly within their right to use their financial clout to discourage Brexit. Just do not be naive and pretend this is simply driven by economics.
  • There is still a racist attitude from some people in this country. It is currently towards Eastern Europeans in the same way as it used to be towards black people in the 60s. Racism still exists but the targets are different.
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Blackmail to what end?
    I think you are saying that a private company, BMW, it attempting to blackmail a nation state, the UK, into accepting a third party 'deal' that has not even been offered.
    Can you add any detail to this allegation?
    For example how does liaison between the EU and this private company work? is it formal? can it be demonstrated clearly to be happening? How might your position square with the position of @Chippycafc who says it isn't blackmail, but general cost cutting hidden behind the excuse of brexit?
    Could it be that you're imagining things that simply aren't happening?
  • seth plum said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Blackmail to what end?
    I think you are saying that a private company, BMW, it attempting to blackmail a nation state, the UK, into accepting a third party 'deal' that has not even been offered.
    For example how does liaison between the EU and this private company work? is it formal? can it be demonstrated clearly to be happening? How might your position square with the position of @Chippycafc who says it isn't blackmail, but general cost cutting hidden behind the excuse of brexit?
    The EU and BMW have a convergence of interests. That would alone be sufficient reason.
    However, I love your suggestion that there are no links, discussions or common approaches between BMW and the EU establishment, so cute.
    Also the Irish border issue seems to be being solved as we speak, you must be very happy.
  • Southbank said:

Stig said:

Southbank said:

Stig said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Financial prudence.
    So you approve?

What is in it for the owners of BMW is their desire to retain the EU status quo. It is perfectly within their right to use their financial clout to discourage Brexit. Just do not be naive and pretend this is simply driven by economics.
    It is about economics, there is no denying that. There may or may not be non-economic reasons as well, but they would be 'as well as' not 'instead of'. Either way it really doesn't matter. As I said, as long as it is legal, it is their business what they do. I can't say I remember hearing too many Brexiteers complaining about Tim Martin's constant anti-EU diatribe and that was always political; never about Wetherspoon's economics. Or what about News International and their constant stream of anti-EU lies? Is not lying to the electorate not the epitome of anti-democratic behaviour? Again, no complaints from the Brexiteers there.
  • Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Rothko said:
    No, blackmail actually

Blackmail to what end?
    The EU and BMW have a convergence of interests. That would alone be sufficient reason.
    However, I love your suggestion that there are no links, discussions or common approaches between BMW and the EU establishment, so cute.
    Also the Irish border issue seems to be being solved as we speak, you must be very happy.
    I have been distracted, but i will now go hot foot to the Irish Border solution you speak of.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!