Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Options

Totally agree on Jake Ball - useless long streak of piss.

I never thought anybody could have a worse Ashes tour than Boyd Rankin did four years ago, but Ball has managed it comfortably.

Curran has a bit of Darren Gough about him - going to be a superstar.

His brother is the one who is going to be the superstar in his family imo.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Pleased that cantersaddicks boy came good. Tom Curran has that star quality in the 50 over game and could still develop into a test player as well. The only problem in the world cup is going to be that England can't keep their pace bowlers fit. Morgan gambled at the end with a sick Ball bowling but got over the line with the Surrey Swagger and Zimbabwe Zeal.
  • Options
    Sorry calling you caters, cantersaddicks, But have had so little sleep with the Tennis and Cricket from Aussie that I feel as dizzy as Jake Ball.
  • Options
    Thank you so much Callum !
  • Options
    Watched most of the game earlier. Dissapointing from the middle-lower order not to add to the good start the top order had. Brilliant bowling performance especially from Tommy C. Even more so given that this was our second string bowling attack.

I've said before TC has the temperament and big game mentality for international cricket. When the going gets tough he steps up. In limited overs cricket he has the skills to back it up. I'm not convinced he quite has it for test cricket. I think he will be a useful back up test bowler at home. Not sure about away though. Going to be big in the limited overs stuff though.

Ball was clearly struggling from the start of his second spell even before he went down. The trouble was root had hurt his rib and didn't look comfortable to warm up let alone bowl. Personally don't think Ball has it to be a regular at international level. He can be alright but dint thibk he has the quality or consistency to do it regularly. Not a major issue when you consider he is about 7th choice for one of the quick bowler slots behind, Woakes Stokes Plunkett Wood Willey T.Curran (and Sam Curran soon). He's alongside Jordan/Finn/Overton in the group that could do a job but won't be regulars unless there are injuries. I can deal with that.
  • Options
    A lot has been made of the depth we have in our batting in limited overs stuff. And it's true that is an area we are strong. One of our batsmen will have to drop out to allow stokes back in and the likes of Billings, Malan, Vince Livingstone can't get in. But I reckon our depth in quick bowlers is just as good.

Spinners is questionable but Mo Rash and Root is a good combination. And Dawson and Crane have both put in some promising performances.

I would love to see England play an England XI.
  • Options

Watched most of the game earlier. Dissapointing from the middle-lower order not to add to the good start the top order had. Brilliant bowling performance especially from Tommy C. Even more so given that this was our second string bowling attack.

I've said before TC has the temperament and big game mentality for international cricket. When the going gets tough he steps up. In limited overs cricket he has the skills to back it up. I'm not convinced he quite has it for test cricket. I think he will be a useful back up test bowler at home. Not sure about away though. Going to be big in the limited overs stuff though.

Ball was clearly struggling from the start of his second spell even before he went down. The trouble was root had hurt his rib and didn't look comfortable to warm up let alone bowl. Personally don't think Ball has it to be a regular at international level. He can be alright but dint thibk he has the quality or consistency to do it regularly. Not a major issue when you consider he is about 7th choice for one of the quick bowler slots behind, Woakes Stokes Plunkett Wood Willey T.Curran (and Sam Curran soon). He's alongside Jordan/Finn/Overton in the group that could do a job but won't be regulars unless there are injuries. I can deal with that.

Surprised me how many got out going for big heave against Tye and got caught with bottom hand coming off off his slow ball

I'd forgotten about how far down the line Jordan has gone (thank god) - and also with Mills to come into the T20 line up?
  • Options
    looking forward to the World Cup next year.
  • Options
    Many thanks Callum - really enjoyed watching that as I had listened live on the radio.
    How brave was Roooooot after that terrible blow early on?

I want a set of those bails!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guys, is the other Overton twin Jamie a test player in the making. Craig shows some promise but I heard that Jamie has more pace.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Tom Curran is our next big thing, the kid has the game for the big time.

International cricket is a tough old game, some rise to it, like Tom Curran, others sink, like Jake Ball.

You can’t teach it, you either have it or you don’t.

Ah. Understand now. He is Southern African...
    Zimbabwean parents. Spent much if his youth in S.A. as Curran snr was coaching there until his tragic death. Then moved to England and were picked up by Surrey who "found" him a school.
  • Options
    It's the Surrey way .
    Bicknall brothers
    Hollyoak brothers
    Curren brothers
    Excuse spelling
  • Options

It's the Surrey way .
    Bicknall brothers
    Hollyoak brothers
    Curren brothers
    Excuse spelling

And the most famous of all, the Bedser twins
  • Options
    In a couple of years it will just be Yorkshire and Surrey v Test Nations.....

Roy
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Ballance
    Stokes (once we've signed him)
    Curran T
    Curran S
    Foakes
    Meaker
    Yorkshire Quick Bowler but i cant think of his name yet
  • Options

Tom Curran is our next big thing, the kid has the game for the big time.

International cricket is a tough old game, some rise to it, like Tom Curran, others sink, like Jake Ball.

You can’t teach it, you either have it or you don’t.

Ah. Understand now. He is Southern African...
    Zimbabwean parents. Spent much if his youth in S.A. as Curran snr was coaching there until his tragic death. Then moved to England and were picked up by Surrey who "found" him a school.
    Not entirely wrong but also not all you're pretending it is. The boys had been scouted by an ex Surrey player back in SA. When their mum was looking to relocate back to the UK after Curran snr' s tragic death Surrey offered them (all 3 Curran boys) a place in the academy and may have used some influence to get them in Wellington College. Nothing wrong with that.

I believe the boys had linked up with Surrey's academy on tours and in the UK multiple times before.
  • Options
    England have shown a lot of faith in Jake Ball, yet he rarely delivers. Remember he was in the Test team at the start of the series, and was then dropped in favour of uncapped bowlers and Curran who wasn't even in the squad.

Impressive bowling by Curran, during his Test appearances he looked to me more like a white ball cricketer as he had great changes of pace, but didn't have the express pace or movement needed for the Test game at the moment.
  • Options
    The irony about England at the moment is that we three or four vacancies that we are struggling to fill in the Test Team but, with the ODI side, we are blessed with 15/16 players that are interchangeable.
  • Options

England have shown a lot of faith in Jake Ball, yet he rarely delivers. Remember he was in the Test team at the start of the series, and was then dropped in favour of uncapped bowlers and Curran who wasn't even in the squad.

Impressive bowling by Curran, during his Test appearances he looked to me more like a white ball cricketer as he had great changes of pace, but didn't have the express pace or movement needed for the Test game at the moment.

If Curran can do the same as Woakes did and get his pace into the mid-140s then he will be fine in Test cricket.

There are obviously technical issues involved in both batting and bowling at Test level but the number one requirement is having a great big pair of bollocks and believing in yourself - and he has that well covered.
  • Options
    Jofra Archer was bought by Rajasthan Royals for £790,000 and it seems that, as a result, he might never play for England. He is required to spend 210 days per year here 'til his qualification period ends in 2022-23 but he has been out of the country for much of the time since the season ended for Sussex on 28th September. He's played in the Bangladesh PL as well as the Big Bash and is also in the draft for the Pakistan PL.

So, when one considers how much Archer can earn through T20 and still play for the West Indies without having to wait more than four years to qualify for England?

Talking about the IPL and its effect, Joe Root must be absolutely gutted not to be picked up. Stokes, providing he is "free" to play, will earn more playing in the IPL than Root does as England captain.

Kent will potentially lose their captain, Sam Billings, for the first couple of months of the season and that in itself has caused some issues at the County with some supporters questioning why they would give the captaincy to someone who is likely to be absent for so long especially if he is called up for other England internationals over the course of the season.

These are examples of how the T20 revolution has impacted on both country and county. Is it for the better?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The irony about England at the moment is that we three or four vacancies that we are struggling to fill in the Test Team but, with the ODI side, we are blessed with 15/16 players that are interchangeable.

It's the captain that needs to be interchangeable. Another very poor series and I don't see how he can carry on until 2019. Needs sorting now.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's the captain that needs to be interchangeable. Another very poor series and I don't see how he can carry on until 2019. Needs sorting now.
    Morgan is not under pressure simply because we are winning and he is making some good decisions when out in the middle. This series and the previous one against the West Indies were poor but he averaged in his previous six 69, 53, 43, 42, 57 & 60.

Ultimately, Stokes for Morgan might happen which would strengthen the bowling options and mean that Bairstow, Roy and Hales would all retain their places. To think that Rashid, Plunkett and Curran will between them occupy our 9/10 berths only serves to confirm what a strong all round side we have. We do need, at times, to be a bit more savvy in recognising the wicket early on because to keep giving overs away by being all out isn't clever cricket and cost us one game and could easily have done so yesterday too.

It's no use being the best all round side in the world if you don't play like one and repeating this in a final would be a disaster. The right players at the crease for the final 10-12 overs could result in 100-120 runs.
  • Options
    Is he making good decisions? Surely everything is planned beforehand by the white ball experts Bayliss and Farbrace?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Riviera said:

Morgan is not under pressure simply because we are winning and he is making some good decisions when out in the middle. This series and the previous one against the West Indies were poor but he averaged in his previous six 69, 53, 43, 42, 57 & 60.

Ultimately, Stokes for Morgan might happen which would strengthen the bowling options and mean that Bairstow, Roy and Hales would all retain their places. To think that Rashid, Plunkett and Curran will between them occupy our 9/10 berths only serves to confirm what a strong all round side we have. We do need, at times, to be a bit more savvy in recognising the wicket early on because to keep giving overs away by being all out isn't clever cricket and cost us one game and could easily have done so yesterday too.

It's no use being the best all round side in the world if you don't play like one and repeating this in a final would be a disaster. The right players at the crease for the final 10-12 overs could result in 100-120 runs.
    One thing we do lack is a gun fast bowler a la Starc, Cummins to blow away the tail in ODI's. I thought Wood would be that , and he is certainly doing well, but it would be nice to have another up our sleeve - not quite sure Plunkett can do it.
    I sorta agree with Morgs going to enable us to retain Roy,Bairstow and Hales, and bring in Stokes, but as AA says, and even Oz commentators said, he is a good captain and his decision making has proven to be very good.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    A line-up of Roy,Bairstow,Hales,Root,Stokes,Buttler,Woakes,Ali,T Curran,Rashid,Wood is going to scare the hell out of most teams.
    And a team that can only get better - with most in their mid-twenties.
  • Options
    I thibk Morgan has captained brilliantly. I thibk he is still good enough (just) with the bat to carry on a bit longer. As said above if results start to drop he will be called in to question.

There is going to be some selection headaches in the next year.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Is he making good decisions? Surely everything is planned beforehand by the white ball experts Bayliss and Farbrace?

Some things are planned but not all bowling changes and field placings are "from the book" and some are based on intuition according to who is in, how the game is at that time. The best, if one ever listens to him when "miked up" in the BB, is undoubtedly McCullum who does make things happen.
  • Options

I thibk Morgan has captained brilliantly. I thibk he is still good enough (just) with the bat to carry on a bit longer. As said above if results start to drop he will be called in to question.

The opposite sort of selection headaches to The Ashes !
  • Options

Canters - just to point out that the "n" is the one next to the "b".

The Grammar & Spelling Police
  • Options
    I Wonder what his Dara Analysis documents cum out like?