Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Options

Jofra Archer was bought by Rajasthan Royals for £790,000 and it seems that, as a result, he might never play for England. He is required to spend 210 days per year here 'til his qualification period ends in 2022-23 but he has been out of the country for much of the time since the season ended for Sussex on 28th September. He's played in the Bangladesh PL as well as the Big Bash and is also in the draft for the Pakistan PL.

So, when one considers how much Archer can earn through T20 and still play for the West Indies without having to wait more than four years to qualify for England?

Talking about the IPL and its effect, Joe Root must be absolutely gutted not to be picked up. Stokes, providing he is "free" to play, will earn more playing in the IPL than Root does as England captain.

Kent will potentially lose their captain, Sam Billings, for the first couple of months of the season and that in itself has caused some issues at the County with some supporters questioning why they would give the captaincy to someone who is likely to be absent for so long especially if he is called up for other England internationals over the course of the season.

These are examples of how the T20 revolution has impacted on both country and county. Is it for the better?

I think as England Captain, plus still being involved in the white ball squad, Root probably has enough on his plate already!

I hadn't realised that Archer had to spend 210 days per year here, I wonder if he realises this and is keeping a diary of his whereabouts!
  • Options

Jofra Archer was bought by Rajasthan Royals for £790,000 and it seems that, as a result, he might never play for England. He is required to spend 210 days per year here 'til his qualification period ends in 2022-23 but he has been out of the country for much of the time since the season ended for Sussex on 28th September. He's played in the Bangladesh PL as well as the Big Bash and is also in the draft for the Pakistan PL.

So, when one considers how much Archer can earn through T20 and still play for the West Indies without having to wait more than four years to qualify for England?

Talking about the IPL and its effect, Joe Root must be absolutely gutted not to be picked up. Stokes, providing he is "free" to play, will earn more playing in the IPL than Root does as England captain.

Kent will potentially lose their captain, Sam Billings, for the first couple of months of the season and that in itself has caused some issues at the County with some supporters questioning why they would give the captaincy to someone who is likely to be absent for so long especially if he is called up for other England internationals over the course of the season.

These are examples of how the T20 revolution has impacted on both country and county. Is it for the better?

I think as England Captain, plus still being involved in the white ball squad, Root probably has enough on his plate already!

I hadn't realised that Archer had to spend 210 days per year here, I wonder if he realises this and is keeping a diary of his whereabouts!
    I don't think Root is happy. Apart from seeing your team mate earning £1m plus, England rested him for next month's triangular tournament on the basis that he would be in the IPL.
  • Options

I thibk Morgan has captained brilliantly. I thibk he is still good enough (just) with the bat to carry on a bit longer. As said above if results start to drop he will be called in to question.

There is going to be some selection headaches in the next year.

Canters - just to point out that the "n" is the one next to the "b".

The Grammar & Spelling Police
    Fat thumbs mean thibk is now a word remembered by my phone. Even when I get it right autocorrect changes it.
  • Options

I don't think Root is happy. Apart from seeing your team mate earning £1m plus, England rested him for next month's triangular tournament on the basis that he would be in the IPL.
    I'm not sure Root is an ideal T20 player, he's more someone who can build an innings rather than a brutal slogger. In England's 50 over matches he often tends to play the "sensible" innings, allowing others to slog around him
  • Options

I'm not sure Root is an ideal T20 player, he's more someone who can build an innings rather than a brutal slogger. In England's 50 over matches he often tends to play the "sensible" innings, allowing others to slog around him
    Forgotten our match against SA in the last WC already?
  • Options
    Possibly just me being a nerd but I really enjoyed reading this. One of the most interest if articles I have read in a long time.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/18411329/jarrod-kimber-why-cricket-proper-metrics-fielding?
  • Options
    Fascinating Canters. Makes you think that Australian teams are far ahead of this type of thing than over here.
    However, in saying that, i remember there being an army of Analysts in the England team (including Stuart Broads sister?) that dont seem to be there now?
  • Options
    I also found this BBC article interesting re cricket stats, however, i'm sure you would have already seen this..

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/42590656
  • Options
    I remember one Televised sky sports T20 game last year they had an England fielding coach on who was talking about them starting to do fielding analysis. It seemed even more basic than what CA are doing according to that article. Good to hear we are at least thinking about it. It can only be a good thing and over time it will develop into a key tool.
  • Options
    I see that the ECB suspended England U19 and top run scorer for disciplinary reasons from yesterday's match. They haven't given the reason but not thought to be drink or violence related.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I see that the ECB suspended England U19 and top run scorer for disciplinary reasons from yesterday's match. They haven't given the reason but not thought to be drink or violence related.

Sex, drugs or rock 'n roll then?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Sex, drugs or rock 'n roll then?
    Found out he supported palace
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42887129

Jofra Archer: All-rounder 'doing the maths' to achieve England 'dream'

Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer says he is "doing the maths" to ensure he qualifies for his "dream" of playing Test cricket for England.

Barbados-born Archer, 22, is not eligible for England until the winter of 2022, when he will have completed the seven-year residency period.

He needs to spend 210 days a year in England to complete his residency.

"I think I have a longer career in England than I would have in Barbados," he told Stumped on BBC World Service.

Archer, who was sold in this month's IPL auction for £800,000, impressed in Australia's Big Bash League with his pace and athleticism in the field.

He says he is able to manage the tournaments he plays in to ensure he meets the qualification criteria.

'Not playing Test cricket too young is a blessing'

Archer, who grew up in Barbados, played three times for West Indies under-19s but was left out for the World Cup in 2014.

His Sussex team-mate Chris Jordan, who was also born in Barbados, has gone on to represent England in Test and limited-overs cricket.

"It was really upsetting and I think I took it too seriously. That summer was the first summer I went to England," said Archer.

"After playing with Sussex, I really think the conditions in England suit me. I saw that it's possible to play for England."

Archer, who will be 27 by the time he qualifies to represent England, said the experience he will gain over the next five years would help him be more confident in his game.

"I'm still young now so I think it's a blessing really, not to play so young. Who knows - I could have a bad game or a bad series, and that could be me," he added.

"It's really good that I have some time to get to know my game inside out before I actually play Test cricket."

Archer has attracted increased attention since England lost the Ashes in January, with former England spinner Graeme Swann saying he is a "player to get excited about".

"I live with my bowling coach at the moment, so hopefully this year I can get my family over to come and see some of the [T20] Blast, some of the four-day stuff," he added.

"I hope to get my own place so I can bring most of my family over and let them experience some of England."
  • Options
    The irony is that, if and when Archer does qualify for England, he probably won't be able to spend 210 days here because when not playing in the BB, IPL, PPL, BPL etc etc, he will be abroad playing for England and will be spending more time back in the West Indies with his family.
  • Options
    Anyone know why the T20 tri-nation games are so spread out?

There's a gap of 3 or 4 days between every fixture, stringing it out a bit aren't they?

NZ for example, have a gap of 10 days between their first and 2nd fixtures!
  • Options

There's a gap of 3 or 4 days between every fixture, stringing it out a bit aren't they?

Chris, could you put the dates up on here?
  • Options

Chris, could you put the dates up on here?
    February (all matches are Twenty20)

2 Prime Minister's XI v England, Canberra (08:15 GMT)

3 Australia v New Zealand, Sydney (07:00 GMT)

7 Australia v England, Hobart (07:00 GMT)

10 Australia v England, Melbourne (07:00 GMT)

13 New Zealand v England, Wellington (Westpac Stadium) (06:00 GMT)

16 New Zealand v Australia, Auckland (06:00 GMT)

18 New Zealand v England, Hamilton (06:00 GMT)

21 Final, Auckland (06:00 GMT)

England then stay in New Zealand to play five one-day internationals and two Tests between 25 February and 3 April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38297773
  • Options
    He did that to Michael Yardy once too (and again it was the last ball that only went for 4!)
  • Options
    They got 138 and we chased it down in 12.4 overs. Dominating performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

He did that to Michael Yardy once too (and again it was the last ball that only went for 4!)

I was there when he hit Yardy for 34. Each six went further and further. Brutal hitting.
  • Options

Leuth said:

I was there when he hit Yardy for 34. Each six went further and further. Brutal hitting.
    And the 4 was only just short of a six.
  • Options

England easily beat the PM's XI, with Willey taking 34 of a Nathan Lyon over!

It's a completely different form of cricket, but you wonder how the Tests would have gone if they had been played after the white ball games, as our ODI/T20 players have made their bowlers seem much less dangerous, and maybe would have dented their confidence,

Willey has scored more in one over than Ali has taken off Lyon in 5 Tests .
  • Options

Leuth said:

And the 4 was only just short of a six.
    It was
  • Options
    I've always been a fan of Willey's batting. Should be higher than 9 in T20 even for England.
  • Options

I've always been a fan of Willey's batting. Should be higher than 9 in T20 even for England.

I see you avoided the trap saying you've always been a fan of willey :wink:
  • Options

Once bitten and all that.
  • Options

I'm just disappointed that Willey wasn't facing Travis Head...
  • Options
    Or Ball was bowling to De Kock.

Snigger.
  • Options

Once bitten and all that.
    You don't want your todger bitten that's for sure...