Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW POLL - Did you attend Saturday or not?

13»

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

It'd be interesting to know how many of those staying away at the moment will truly reconnect with the club after a change in ownership. I know that's the intention, but there are so many saying they don't even bother to watch the goals, or even check the scores, that you have to wonder.
    If you fall out of love with someone, is it possible to fall back in love just because you want to?

It's a risky game, is all I'm saying

I'll gladly return when they go, so that my 13 year old son can re-connect with the club.
    As things stand now I feel no connection with this current version of Charlton Athletic. I still don't want us to get promoted, as despite what other people seem to believe I feel that Roland is less likely to sell if he gets any form of success.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

JamesSeed said:

It'd be interesting to know how many of those staying away at the moment will truly reconnect with the club after a change in ownership. I know that's the intention, but there are so many saying they don't even bother to watch the goals, or even check the scores, that you have to wonder.
    If you fall out of love with someone, is it possible to fall back in love just because you want to?

I'll gladly return when they go, so that my 13 year old son can re-connect with the club.
    As things stand now I feel no connection with this current version of Charlton Athletic. I still don't want us to get promoted, as despite what other people seem to believe I feel that Roland is less likely to sell if he gets any form of success.
    Fair enough for you of course, but 13 yr olds don’t tend to do what you hope they’ll do. I’d be surprised if he re-connects with the club. Hope he does of course.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Fair enough for you of course, but 13 yr olds don’t tend to do what you hope they’ll do. I’d be surprised if he re-connects with the club. Hope he does of course.
    I think that he will if it happens soon. After a few years of him not being that bothered about Charlton and more interested in Man Utd/Barcelona he finally found the love for CAFC during the 2011/12 League One winning season.
    Even though he has not been to a home game for about 2 years now he still talks about "we" and "us" when talking about the club.
    I'm still hopeful!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Spot on James and I worry I may fall into this bracket.

Been a supporter for 50 years this season although I have been boycotting for the last two seasons. I have really been enjoying my free time every other Saturday which is spent either fishing on my own or with my eldest grandson, watching my youngest grandson play football or pub lunches and days out enjoying life.

If and when these owners are gone it will be interesting to see how I feel about giving up half a day on a Saturday and giving up all of the above things I am enjoying.
  • Options

Worth noting @JamesSeed thst this does happen all the time. I can see many people I know in those Mercury mugshots who have fallen out of love with Charlton / football and not been going at all long before Roland and Meire rolled up.

It's just majorly escalated since then.

I think many have fallen out of love with football itself - all the hype around the Prem hasn't really helped fans to feel connected.
    Go non-league.
  • Options

Re. the comment above about poor home attendances impacting negatively, perhaps, on Charlton Life.
    For me, Charlton Life takes on a greater relevance at the present time. I don't attend games, but I do read CL and engage in 'conversation' on it. It's a useful, interesting and valuable forum for many - whether they attend games, or not.

Couldn't agree more. It would be a total disaster without this site, which at least keeps us engaged.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Yes...after all the comments at the beginning of last season about only going to away games, we haven't exactly been "doing a Cologne" with our away attendances since...
    'Only doing aways' isn't the same as 'doing all aways', which some posters seem to have taken it to mean.
    You are right though. I don't think I've been to an away game for over a year, despite my original intentions.
  • Options
    For me CL has become an important part of my life, I don't go to matches anymore, but I can keep up with all that is going on at Charlton and a lot more with all the topics that are discussed on here.
  • Options
    Yep we're all addicted(or addickted) to the site that is CL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Spot on James and I worry I may fall into this bracket.

Been a supporter for 50 years this season although I have been boycotting for the last two seasons. I have really been enjoying my free time every other Saturday which is spent either fishing on my own or with my eldest grandson, watching my youngest grandson play football or pub lunches and days out enjoying life.

If and when these owners are gone it will be interesting to see how I feel about giving up half a day on a Saturday and giving up all of the above things I am enjoying.
    Let's meet in the Anchor & Hope for a pint before your (eventual) return to The Valley!
  • Options
    Only go to Northern away games as I'm oop there
  • Options
    Can't really afford to go the games! I'm a carerange for my partner, would love to go support the lads but cant
  • Options
    Sometimes you don't want to go to a game because the team are playing like shit/oppositions shite/weather is dire/trains are not running etc but you make the effort to go out of sheer love for the club. That was me in the lousy 80's or buying a five year season ticket to help the club I love. But when the owner treats us fans in contempt and can't be bothered to go himself it puts a whole new perspective on the loyalty situation i.e if I go, I put money into Roland's pocket. I'm inclined not to go at the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

For me CL has become an important part of my life, I don't go to matches anymore, but I can keep up with all that is going on at Charlton and a lot more with all the topics that are discussed on here.

Same for me too.

Having said that, even coming on here is wearing a bit thin, because of all the moaning and I include myself in that criticism.

Funny, I was gonna post a topic "Why do you moan" in reference to the usual tirade that comes after a bad result.

We all know the problems with, ownership/management/squad/injuries etc,but how do we change things?

I know CARD and others are doing there bit but there just seems to be no solution to the clubs plight, as yet.