Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Back to The Valley - Mercury 1992 supplement with lots of fans mugshots

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    History of that paper was a bit sad. The idea was that the Mercury would sell the advertising and the club could sell it and keep the cover price. Instead the club decided to produce its own magazine publication.

Both were then printed in 1991 on the assumption we were going back that year, even if a bit late. But of course the saga dragged on for another year. By then it was all a bit late and a lot were given away or scrapped, I thInk. Still a nice souvenir, I hope.

Remember going to High Wycombe to see it on the "stone", which was very unusual.

The supporter pics are paid insertions, so self-selecting not chosen by the paper.
  • Options

Not many of those pubs left.
    Nor the ahem ladies offering total massage, very friendly massage etc. At least you would hope not :smile:
  • Options
    Great pictures.

Our support looked so normal and non- weird back then. WTF happened!
  • Options

Nor the ahem ladies offering total massage, very friendly massage etc. At least you would hope not :smile:
    Not a happy ending then
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Lee Clarke getting some rough treatment in that top picture lol. Always thought he hated us. Now I know why.
  • Options

Great pictures.

Our support looked so normal and non- weird back then. WTF happened!

Erm...Stavros Demetriadis looked very dodge!
  • Options

The Fox and Firkin and Bird's Nest are still going and that's all that matters.
    McDonnells still going, as the Antigallian.
  • Options
    A friend tells me Mandy's still going
  • Options
    Superb stuff
  • Options
    Having copied and pasted all that code, just wished it was an 8-page supplement !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Recognised 23 of the Addicks in the mugshots pages.

Sadly, at least 2 of them are no longer with us.
  • Options
    As the Simpsons Sea Captain says "ARR Not a looker among 'em!!"
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Looks like a rogues gallery that lot. Also didn't know we were supported by Bobby Ball, Ben Elton, Ted Roach from The Bill or the guy from Kadergoogoo.
  • Options
    Recognised a small hand full from the mugshots. I thought id recognise more of them as there weren't that many of us at Sellout and Trumpton. Ive got a ton of these newspaper clippings up in my shed ready to return home along with countless programmes and VOTV's. Had to laugh at the welcome back from the Asian Masseuse.
  • Options

Looks like a rogues gallery that lot. Also didn't know we were supported by Bobby Ball, Ben Elton, Ted Roach from The Bill or the guy from Kadergoogoo.

The last bloke is too shy to admit it though.
  • Options
    I don't remember that paper, but I'm in it!, recognise lots of old faces in those pics.

Roy Ripper is the greatest name ever

also nice to see how many 'massage parlours' welcomed us back home ;)
  • Options
    Now I know why Bjorn and Benny made so much money.They had a decorating business and a Massage Parlour as well
  • Options

And Mr Tumble
  • Options
    and some belgian merkin thinks he can take the michael.
  • Options
    Stavros from Plumstead could almost be the Harry Enfield character as well !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

I don't remember that paper, but I'm in it!, recognise lots of old faces in those pics.

Roy Ripper is the greatest name ever

also nice to see how many 'massage parlours' welcomed us back home ;)

Or Woy Wipper as Woy Hodgson and Johnathan Woss would say.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Stavros from Plumstead could almost be the Harry Enfield character as well !

Funny you should mention this.
    The original Stavros (who Harry Enfield based the character on), now lives in Clacton......his grandson and nephew, who both live in Bromley, are both Addicks.
  • Options
    That's a cracking find. Those "massage" ads!

Quite funny to see all those Deptford and New Cross/Peckham pubs tapped up to place an ad in a Charlton supplement. Dog & Bell in Deptford still going strong - Charlie and Eileen only retired a couple of years back, I believe.
  • Options
    I'm trying to print off a better copy of the pub page. John's still in the Herbert but Jean and Brian retired from The Star. Both pubs still going though.

Thanks for posting Derek.
  • Options

The Fox and Firkin and Bird's Nest are still going and that's all that matters.
    McDonnells still going, as the Antigallian.
    Yes but the Fox and Bird's Nest are the best pubs in South East London.
  • Options
    Remember the Mercury asking fans to pay to have their picture printed, glad I swerved it at the time. Some very familiar faces including a former chief exec amongst that log.

God @Miserableoldgit we’re you ever that young? Ha ha
  • Options
    BDL said:

Remember the Mercury asking fans to pay to have their picture printed, glad I swerved it at the time. Some very familiar faces including a former chief exec amongst that log.

God @Miserableoldgit we’re you ever that young? Ha ha

Aged, when he had his van hit in the car park, whilst laying carpet for the return.
  • Options

That's a cracking find. Those "massage" ads

Tried calling them all I get is "number not recognised"
  • Options
    edited September 2017

That's a cracking find. Those "massage" ads

Tried calling them all I get is "number not recognised"
    It has been a "long time".
  • Options

That's a cracking find. Those "massage" ads!

Quite funny to see all those Deptford and New Cross/Peckham pubs tapped up to place an ad in a Charlton supplement. Dog & Bell in Deptford still going strong - Charlie and Eileen only retired a couple of years back, I believe.

Proper pub the Dog & Bell, been a while since I last visited, glad to hear it's still going.