Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is social media, mobile phones and the internet the new God?

2»

Comments

• Options

stonemuse said:

Just watched the Edward Snowden film on Netflix.

I haven't listened to the News or read a Newspaper for a number of years now, so while I knew of him and a little of his actions not the full implications.

Of course it's a film, so no idea how accurate it is?

But of course it got me thinking. I never used to be bothered by the idea of being watched because, "I've got nothing to hide" was my attitude.

But I had been getting a little irked recently, that every time I entered a new contact into my mobile, sure enough, almost immediately on Facebook would be,"Do you know this person" and of course it would be the name to my contact.

I've also found myself getting increasingly pissed off, every time I buy something, sure enough the next set of ads on whatever site i might be visiting, would either be that item or items related!

So maybe the title of this topic should of been, not the new God but the new Government?

Most enjoy the internet and social media and maybe I've been totally naive in thinking it was for the benefit of the people but clearly it's not.

It's for the enjoyment of those who want to control our lives and yes, I've acknowledged how naive I've perhaps been.

But having now watched that film, is it scaremongering because right now I feel a little uncomfortable.

As you say you don't follow the news so maybe not a good idea to take a world view from a drama based on one person's life.
    I don't think I'm particularly taking on a world view, Henry but I think it's reasonable to assume what's being monitored in Britain and the USA, will be being monitored in other countries that have the ability to do so.

In my own eagerness to embrace technology through Computers, Tablets, Smart phones and the internet, I clearly hadn't given great thought to its implications.

Through our smart phones and bank cards we can now being tracked, wherever we are in the world.

It's clear our buying habits are being targeted by advertisers via our online purchases and our social and political leanings by social media.

I also hadn't been bothered by the amount cameras located around our towns and cities. Believing they were there for the good of us and of course there is that to them but it is another way of keeping tabs on everyone and I guess in the age of terrorism essential, there's no way of avoiding them now.

I'm not Edward Snowden and don't believe I do anything that's worth taking note of but are things getting a little too close to 1984?
    Unless you go off-grid, surveillance is both inevitable and unavoidable in a digital world ... and will only get more encompassing.

No point worrying about it ... nothing you can do except get on with your life.
    Interestingly on another post,there’s a conversation about VPN, which I know nothing about, other than it seems to be a piece of software that blocks others from seeing your ISP provider and your internet search history.

Which suggests people are concerned about the way things are going?
    Many people are and there is good reason for that. But the fact is, for most of us, we cannot avoid it.

I am not overly pleased with such monitoring but it is a reflection of the world we live in ,.. and little I can do to change it so I don’t let it worry me.
  • Options
    It's sad as I don't want to be a complainer or attempt to blame something I don't necessarily have to have in my life. It's all in my own hands.

I have thought about it and I can honestly say I really think social media has sucked up something from the human mind that we will now find it hard to let go of.
    It's not addictive, it's just a part of our lives now that we may now feel is a need. It's relied upon. It's too convienient to maybe let go of.

I think Facebook certainly has its uses. Psychologically though, I believe we would have 100% been better off without having it in the 1st place.

I think people or younger people, teenagers that are currently growing up with the easy access inclusion of this stuff, would have better and deeper friendships if Facebook never existed.

I also think the application makes it easier for people to "hide" and they somewhat rely on it.

It's a boasting, life comparing game. Whereas the human mind does not really want to know or consider what someone they knew 10 years ago had for breakfast or where they went on holiday.

The human brain, It doesn't care about that stuff, because it doesn't need to but yet the information is absorbed anyway as they scroll up or down.

• Options
    I've often wondered that if I inadvertently ended up in the public eye, the press would have a field day with my digital footprint on here