Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone ever torn their miniscus in their knee

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Yeah I tore my meniscus playing footy a few years back. Because I tore a little ACL and had a hairline fracture of my tibia it's hard to tell what exactly was the meniscus versus the other things.*

*Muggins over here waiting nine months to go to the doctor.

Definitely swimming. Swimming is zero (or low) impact on your joints, AND has the benefit that it can help strengthen the knee and surrounding muscles.

I'm an avid runner, and I was probably back to running within two or three weeks with a very big brace on. Note, I WOULD NOT NECESSARILY RECOMMEND THIS. My inability to rest things properly means that I often end up hurting myself worse**. But I'm like you in that I really like my exercise, so being immobile is hard for me. But, as time goes on, hopefully if it interest you you can do some jogging.

My other big piece of advice is, if you can and if the NHS offers it, do physical therapy to recover. Because I was kind of shitty about mine, I've never really gotten the strength and range of motion back properly. PT will help immensely with that.

**The day I did my knee I had a dead lead, and took so much Aleve and put on so much Bengay/Tiger Balm that I was able to play. Will never really know if the two were related, but I suspect it wasn't an accident that the dead leg was the same leg where my knee was hurt. Let it be a lesson to let things heal properly.

thanks sd.

I've also torn and had surgeory on my acl before. I thought it was that that had gone again. i'm def gonna go for swimming, seems to be the recommendation
  • Options
    I second the swimming suggestion but would recommend one of these to stop you kicking...

• Options
    Had mine done a couple of years ago at Sidcup. Keyhole surgery. No real pain afterwards. Remember that every case is different, with different experiences. My only advice would be make sure the muscles around the knee are as strong as possible before you go in. Afterwards follow advice from the hospital. I found swimming was fine, though only crawl. I am back playing football and running. Good luck.
  • Options
    Read the thread title as ''missus" - thankfully this thread is not what I expected.
  • Options
    I've never done my knee @bobbles but last May I tore the ligaments in my right ankle. Do not rely on NHS physios to do anything but print you out an A4 sheet with some vague exercise instructions and then tell you to politely f*ck off.
  • Options
    Did mine a couple of years back, not seriously. Was advised to concentrate on strengthening the muscles which support the knee. The advice was age related also (63) and it cleared the problem.

Managed to avoid any MRI scan and surgery.
  • Options
    I have never torn the miniscus in my knee but I have ripped the crotch in my underpants once or twice!
  • Options
    Forgot to mention @cabbles you might want to think about getting one of these set ups if you're getting pain...

Basically an upgrade on ice pack/packets of peas with compression too. I'm sitting here with one on now. Lot more convenient as you can move around with it on and less faffing about.
  • Options
    I have just been diagnosed with a torn meniscus after 3 years of agony and several MRI scans. On one occasion I was told I had a sprained knee, and basically told to get on with it. Needless to say I changed GP's. Investigations now show a torn meniscus, but I'm still waiting to be seen by MSK services who will refer me to Orthopaedics if required.
    I wish the powers that be would realise just how debilitating this condition is and speed up the process of treatment rather than send you from pillar to post.
    I sympathised with you for the pain you are suffering and hope you get relief quicker than me.
    I am seriously considering going private, the cost of which is approx. £3500.00.
    I feel I have suffered long enough and want my mobility back. I am no spring chicken but hope I still have a few years left in me.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Forgot to mention @cabbles you might want to think about getting one of these set ups if you're getting pain...

Basically an upgrade on ice pack/packets of peas with compression too. I'm sitting here with one on now. Lot more convenient as you can move around with it on and less faffing about.

Yes! My brother had one of those when he tore his ACL. We actually both did our knees within a week of each other. Highly recommend it.
    muzzy said:

I have just been diagnosed with a torn meniscus after 3 years of agony and several MRI scans. On one occasion I was told I had a sprained knee, and basically told to get on with it. Needless to say I changed GP's. Investigations now show a torn meniscus, but I'm still waiting to be seen by MSK services who will refer me to Orthopaedics if required.
    I wish the powers that be would realise just how debilitating this condition is and speed up the process of treatment rather than send you from pillar to post.
    I sympathised with you for the pain you are suffering and hope you get relief quicker than me.
    I am seriously considering going private, the cost of which is approx. £3500.00.
    I feel I have suffered long enough and want my mobility back. I am no spring chicken but hope I still have a few years left in me.

I'm so sorry muzzy. I'm completely baffled by this. It's not like a torn meniscus is an obscure injury. I've heard, and it has been echoed on this thread, that the NHS isn't great with ligament injuries, or sport injuries in general, but this is still beggars belief. I hope you get the treatment you need.

For you, and @cabbles, I want to reiterate what a lot of others have said, make sure to strengthen the muscles around the knee. Getting physical therapy is great, but a lot of the work is just doing daily exercises that are kind of tedious but that make a huge difference and help take pressure off the joint.

You can get resistance bands on Amazon for like $5-$10, and just doing different movements with those can really help. I am not good with stationary workouts, I get bored and fidgety, but do it while watching telly or something. I sprained my knee around this time last year and those workouts really helped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The eve of my 31st birthday, climbing out of the work van, and I tore meniscus in my right knee. Did t realise till I woke up on my birthday and almost fell down the feckin stairs. NHS fixed it up, didn't have any troubles.

Fast forward to the eve of my 42nd birthday, played indoor, left knee felt a bit sore afterwards, woke up on my birthday, went to stand up from bed and hit the feckin deck as I couldn't load bare on my right knee. Had Private surgery over here in oz, and had problems for about a year with the right knee. I changed my training and strengthened it up considerably, where as I can now play indoor again.

My tip? Don't have birthdays!!
  • Options
    I'm having problems with my right knee too.
    GP said strained ACL and recommended physio.
    Went private and they said it was the miniscus, so continued physio for 3 months. After that had a couple of runs and felt ok. Went back to playing 5-a-side football on a Monday night and the pain is back.
    Going to insist on an MRI scan now as I'm sure it's not going to be sorted by physio alone and I want a proper diagnosis.
    So I sympathise with you @cabbles - Good luck fella.
  • Options
    Cheers all. Some great replies

Went swimming this morning and was doing my squats in the pool after my swim so that helped

Also some breakers young lady in a red swim suit very similar to what they used to wear in baywatch got into my lane, so there is an upside :-)
  • Options
    I've had a problem with my right knee for the last couple of months, no running, just walking, was averaging 50-60 miles plus a week. Over Christmas, it was so bad I couldn't walk or bend it.
    Result of MRI scan.
    Horizontal tear posterior horn medial.
    Peaking of tibial spines.
    Chondromalacia patella
    Subarticular bone bruise in the patella. Doc asked me what I had done to it, I said nothing.
    Joint effusion.

Doc has just left it with me, as since I've been resting it (30 miles a week) it's been ok.
    I'm sure once I go back to my normal routine, the problem will return.
  • Options

I've had a problem with my right knee for the last couple of months, no running, just walking, was averaging 50-60 miles plus a week. Over Christmas, it was so bad I couldn't walk or bend it.
    Result of MRI scan.
    Horizontal tear posterior horn medial.
    Peaking of tibial spines.
    Chondromalacia patella
    Subarticular bone bruise in the patella. Doc asked me what I had done to it, I said nothing.
    Joint effusion.

Doc has just left it with me, as since I've been resting it (30 miles a week) it's been ok.
    I'm sure once I go back to my normal routine, the problem will return.

I saw your activity on Twitter mate - hope it gets better soon

I’m yet to even have the ct scan on mine

It’s okay as long as I don’t do certain movements. Have managed to get back on the Kung Fu so pleased about that, but can’t do any kicking with my left leg as right can’t support it.

Yours sounds worst than mine though Guiness. Good luck
  • Options
    Good old Charlton life. I must have missed this first time round.

It is suspected I've torn the meniscus in my right knee.
    I slipped while passing the ball back onto the pitch during my boys football match about 5 weeks ago. It Hurt the next morning but was off work anywy so rested it for a couple of days. Went back to work and although it was still a bit niggly it was easy to manage and wasn't stopping me doing anything.
    Fast forward two weeks and I was crouching down to get something out of a kitchen cupboard. When I went to get up the pain through my knee was unbearable. It locked up and I couldn't move it. I was in agony. My missus who was in the living room at the time thought I'd been electrocuted!.
    I went off to A&E the next day after a non existent night's sleep. They x rayed it, not much use for a meniscus I know, but nothing broken. Gave me some crutches. I saw the doctor about a week after, and he suspects meniscus tear. I've got an MRI in 10 days (NHS)
     So I've been off work for 3 weeks. Doc said I can go back when it eases up and if I don't do much physical work.
    I can now walk on it without the crutches but it still isn't right and feels tender if I do anything more than pottering around indoors.
    I'm pretty sure I tore the one in my left knee a couple of years ago, but with some physio and swimming etc that's been ok and it was never this bad. I never had it scanned.
    I'm just a little concerned about how long this latest one is taking me to get back on my feet.
  • Options
    The problem I had, disappeared and it’s been ok since then.
  • Options
     That's good to hear mate. 
    Were they reluctant to operate? I guess that was the right choice if it's ok now.

I had the same with my left knee a few years back. After a series of physio and plenty of swimming it got better.

It's worse this time with my right knee.
  • Options
     That's good to hear mate. 
    Were they reluctant to operate? I guess that was the right choice if it's ok now.

I had the same with my left knee a few years back. After a series of physio and plenty of swimming it got better.

It's worse this time with my right knee.
    They didn’t do anything or suggest anything. 
    It’s my right knee and being a left footer, all the stain during my footballing (Gaelic also) would have been through my right leg and I thought it was for only standing on. Just wear & tear, not saying it won’t play up I years to come.
    My left ankle has been a problem since I ruptured all the ligament in it at 20. Had two ops on it seven years ago ( micro surgery and new ligaments) and was due another one where they were going to take cartilage out of my left knee and put it in my ankle and then off set my heel bone. I didn’t go ahead with that at the time. Need to lose a couple of stone and that would help.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I tore mine in Sept 2019 & had an op in Jan 2020 to remove the tear. Consultant explained that the tear is like having a flap that moves & can be very painful when it has moved to certain places especially against nerves. Took 6 to 8 weeks to be ok after the op.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had it confirmed today after my MRI that I've torn my Medial meniscus.
    Quite a bad tear according to the doc and they would usually try and get me in quick for surgery.

Covid's put a spanner in that. Bastard!!

Hope everyone's well.
  • Options
    Had all four removed
  • Options
    Quite a bad tear according to the doc and they would usually try and get me in quick for surgery.

Hope everyone's well.
    After I tore my cartilage back in 2017 when I started the thread, I was able to pretty much manage my exercise with a knee brace, until I tore my ACL again in the same knee as my torn cartilage last year (2019) :-(

after numerous mri/ct scan/x-rays and missed appointments through Lewisham’s system checking me out of their database, I will have two operations now.  One to repair the ACL that has to be done first, then all likelihood one for the meniscus.  It’s annoying as I did my ACL back in 2000 when I was 18.  I could never play football again despite surgery.  I think mine is quite a mess to be honest.  The surgeon said that I have a slope in my knee that is at a greater angle than most people, which means cutting into the bone as well.

I’m pleased it’s progressing to the Operation stage though.  Next year sometime, maybe.....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Hope everyone's well.
    After I tore my cartilage back in 2017 when I started the thread, I was able to pretty much manage my exercise with a knee brace, until I tore my ACL again in the same knee as my torn cartilage last year (2019) :-(

after numerous mri/ct scan/x-rays and missed appointments through Lewisham’s system checking me out of their database, I will have two operations now.  One to repair the ACL that has to be done first, then all likelihood one for the meniscus.  It’s annoying as I did my ACL back in 2000 when I was 18.  I could never play football again despite surgery.  I think mine is quite a mess to be honest.  The surgeon said that I have a slope in my knee that is at a greater angle than most people, which means cutting into the bone as well.

I’m pleased it’s progressing to the Operation stage though.  Next year sometime, maybe.....
     Hope so mate. I was quite surprised of the urgency on which they'd normally try and get it done. Weeks more than months/years.. and this is on the NHS.
    But we'll have to see.

One good thing from today was the large queue of hospital staff waiting to get the vaccine. Hopefully we are now on the front foot to beating this bugger.
  • Options
    Had all four removed
     Really. How are you now? Did you have them replaced?

• Options
    Which hospital you at? I've had the same surgeon on all my last three knee ops...covering 12 years!
  • Options
    Had all four removed
     Really. How are you now? Did you have them replaced?

Had the last one removed when I was 22. Now I’m nearly 65. My knees have been basically knackered for 40 years. Total knee replacement four years ago. 
  • Options
    So. Had my op this afternoon  All went well. Not able to repair so had the torn bit 'shaved'.

Was well groggy and in a bit of a daze for a while after the op.
    Got back on the ward and wasn't sure if I was awake or dreaming.

Picked up my phone and checked Charlton score.

Definitely awake!!

• Options
    Following this with interest now Carly. I’m booked in for my repair on 31 March. So let me know how your recovery goes. Good luck. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Following this with interest now Carly. I’m booked in for my repair on 31 March. So let me know how your recovery goes. Good luck. 
     Actually feel ok at the moment @Curb_It but don't think the anaesthetic has fully worn off yet. Got my codine at the ready for when it does.

Been told recovery is 2-6 weeks. Definitely can't drive for 6.

Made me laugh a bit. The surgeon said he could have done a repair if he'd got in to operate the week after I'd done it back in November

I'm on the NHS. I was amazed I got it done within 3 months!