Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone ever torn their miniscus in their knee

13»

Comments

• Options
    How are you getting on @carly burn ?
  • Options
    Damaged mine just over a year ago, though physio has helped. Walking 10kms a day, but if I try running the miniscus problem returns, unfortunately. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Not too bad Curb it.

Laid up for the first couple of days and took codine for the first two nights to help me sleep more than anything. It wasn't overly painful,just enough to keep you awake at night.
    Have my stitches out this week. I'm still waiting to hear from the physio but my surgeon stressed the need to try and get the affected knee straightened as soon as I can without over doing it, Something I've not been able to do for 4 months.
    So yesterday I started the light exercises he gave me to try. I t was a little bit sore/achy during the rest of day yesterday but I am up this morning and it feels fine so the physio is going to play a big part in the recovery I think.
    When are you in?

• Options
    Are you in a brace at all? Can you get around your house ok? 

Mines not till the 31st. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Are you in a brace at all? Can you get around your house ok? 

Mines not till the 31st. 
     No brace. Been using a crutch for the best pat of a week but can get around pretty much without it now.
  • Options
    This is good to know. My boss had his one done last year and he was in a brace for weeks... I’ll check again what he had done. 
  • Options
    A word from experience. Once you have a cartilage removed your knee will never ever be the same. In older age it’s really quite bad. I have had all four removed and it’s stopped me playing sport for years. That knee replacement four years ago which stopped the pain but is hardly ideal. 
  • Options
    A word from experience. Once you have a cartilage removed your knee will never ever be the same. In older age it’s really quite bad. I have had all four removed and it’s stopped me playing sport for years. That knee replacement four years ago which stopped the pain but is hardly ideal. 
     Sorry to hear that mate.
    I didn't actually have mine removed but trimmed. I was in a situation where I couldn't get as far as the end of my road without being an a fair bit of serious pain.

In one way this lockdown has helped to reduce the exacerbation of my injury as I haven't been doing the things I would normally be doing. Any kind of physical activity was/is a struggle and I'm not just talking about sporty endeavours.
    Simple stuff like climbing a set of steps was difficult.
    So in short,if those kind of things improve I'll be happy.
  • Options
    I’m Desperate to get back to walking. I’ve done nothing since November. Tried at Christmas but just not worth the pain after. 

Mine is a repair job I believe. Hopefully...
  • Options
    I think the surgery is far more conservative these day and different from when I had all four of mine done back in the seventies. It’s routine “keyhole” these days but I have four 3 inch scars on either side of each knee. After surgery it was bed rest for two days and hospitalisation for five. 

Two things with my first two removals. The surgeon was a John Buck who was for many years the orthopaedic surgeon for Charlton Athletic. I remember his name used to be printed on the inside cover of the match day programme. Second thing. When I woke up from my first procedure my meniscus was on my bedside table in a little screw top glass jar in some formaldehyde. Had that little jar for years. No idea why. I think it mysteriously vanished after I got married. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    I’m Desperate to get back to walking. I’ve done nothing since November. Tried at Christmas but just not worth the pain after. 

Mine is a repair job I believe. Hopefully...
     Yeah. That was a possibility for me. 
    The surgeon explained to me prior to the op that although they had the MRI they wouldn't be able to say what the course of action would be until they had been in with the camera.
  • Options
    Im going in for a MRI scan in a few weeks , im finding it uncomfortable to walk short distances , and i am constantly pulling my leg up like something is jammed in my knee , it also feels like i have a large bubble moving around on the inside of my knee , i was told about 5 years ago that it was wear and tear , i have put it off getting  checked out during this COVID pandemic , but cant leave it any longer .      
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Im going in for a MRI scan in a few weeks , im finding it uncomfortable to walk short distances , and i am constantly pulling my leg up like something is jammed in my knee , it also feels like i have a large bubble moving around on the inside of my knee , i was told about 5 years ago that it was wear and tear , i have put it off getting  checked out during this COVID pandemic , but cant leave it any longer .      
    If your knee locks from time to time it is a classic symptom of torn cartilage. A piece or more of cartilage has broken away from the main body and is floating around in your knee joint. Every so often this will jam the knee, locking it until dislodged. Might well be that cleaning out the joint and nibbling at the tear might be sufficient to remedy your problems. If the damage is much greater than that the partial or total meniscectomy would be required. Good luck. 
  • Options
    After reading these posts I’ll shut up about mine. I think I’ve been lucky so far. 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
     Can you straigten the leg @fadgadget ?
  • Options
    Yes, but struggling to walk any distance without pulling up, stairs and inclines are a bit difficult
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Yes, but struggling to walk any distance without pulling up, stairs and inclines are a bit difficult
    Well I know from experience that a significant medial meniscus tear makes it almost impossible straighten the leg fully. 

At least you've got an MRI sorted.
  • Options
    Yes, hopefully get to the bottom of things, 
    My knees sound like a bowl of rice Krispies, snap crackle and pop
  • Options
    Gore mine two years ago. Was good they would repair with surgery but then they decided not to until it was so bad I was unable to walk. They felt surgery is not invasive and can speed up degenerative changes in the knee. I'm 56. Have managed it well through exercise. Strengthening the joint seems keey. Still flared up occasionally but I can bike and walk long distances without too much problem.
  • Options
    @Curb_It Brenda if you are not walking around make sure you do some exercises to maintain the muscles (quads) that support your knee. Its surprising how quickly the muscles deteriorate. Ask a physio on what you can do to maintain your muscles. Best of luck.
     I have had problems with my knee and had a cartilage remove in 1979. Finally ending up that i had to give up football and most sports.  I have also had my cartilage trimmed and knee cleaned from bone fragments. Since I dislocated and fracture my ankle in December 2020 it seems to have exacerbated the issues with my knee. X-rays and MRI scan reveals that my knee is ‘fucked’ (I think thats the technical term) riddled with osteoarthritis plus ligament damage and has gone out of line i.e. my knee is now at an angle. Orthopaedic consultant has agreed that it needs replacement. As I’m in too much pain to wait for our overworked NHS for an operation, I’ve decided its worth having the knee replacement done privately (Benenden) hopefully within the next 3 months. @ShootersHillGuru as you have had a knee replacement are you now out of pain and managing okay with your mobility?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck with the surgery Solid, getting a new knee sounds like the best course of action.  It’s no fun getting older is it!  
  • Options
    If it’s at all possible do as much exercise as you can to strengthen the leg muscles above the knee prior to surgery. Those are the muscles that will waste most quickly if you are struggling after the procedure.
  • Options
    I'm due for surgery on my knee in September but need double ligament reconstruction surgery first in May on my ankles. Ankles from innocuous slips although years of injuries have taken their toll.

If I was a racehorse they would of shot me by know.

• Options
    In the queue for a knee replacement after my last scan showed virtually no miniscus left.

Hopefully the regular climbs up and down the East Stand, plus scaling the heights of various other league one grounds will have kept the muscles in reasonable shape, cos I’m doing bugger all else in terms of exercise.
  • Options
    At age 45 I was still playing football and running regularly but tore my miniscus in the right knee and had it trimmed. At the time the scans showed I had lots of cartilage left in the knee. Fast forward 14 years and I have been told there is almost no cartilage left in my right knee and will need knee replacement at some stage. Also had 2 ops to replace ligaments in my ankle mostly due to overcompensating for the knee. I have given up football and running and now cycle and swim. I believe that once they cut into you it's all downhill from there. Sucks to get old.
  • Options
    I'm due for surgery on my knee in September but need double ligament reconstruction surgery first in May on my ankles. Ankles from innocuous slips although years of injuries have taken their toll.

If I was a racehorse they would of shot me by know.

Update, I've broken my right ankle in 2 places this evening so surgery could be brought forward 
  • Options
    Oh dear, I’m sorry to hear as I fractured my ankle in December and still recovering. Also I’m booked to have a knee replacement in May. I look forward to the day when I’m not in pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery.