Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catalan Independence vote

Comments

• Options
    @Anna_Kissed

55% of the population of Scotland voted to remain in the UK in a free and democratic election. I suggest that should be respected. Way bigger majority than Brexit ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Been off this for a while - I was away from Catalunya, and also fairly sick of the whole thing. Driving back from Andalusia on saturday listening to the radio made me remember how Little I missed all of this. A couple of fun quotes when the article 155 was invoked and ten, The mayores of Barcelona, Ada Colau said it was the worst day in 40 years for Barcelona, neatly forgettint the 17 people who died in a terrorist attack on the Ramblas two months ago, Another member of the Catalan Independence movement said they were in 'shock' after the attack on democracy here. To be honest, this sort of childish victimism is really beginning to grind my gears. They neatly forget that they were the ones who invoked an utterly undemocatic referéndum and then tried to apply the results over the heads of all the people who were born here and don't want to see the economy destroyed over such a foolish issue. At the momento, over 400 companies have relocated out of Catalunya, all of which is revenue lost (probably forever if the example of Quebec is to be believed) to the republic.

The pride of place however goes to the CUP anti capitalist party, who only have a limited number of seats but also control the balance of power as they allow the Indepes as they are called, to have a majority in parliament. They were on the radio this morning in all their glory. The curret plan is that Catalunya dosen't need Europe or the Euro, as Europe is equally fascist as Spain. Instead, they will make treaties with other similar countries and trade with....wait for it....Venezuela, Cuba, and some country I can't remember in the Caucasus. You can see the attraction to big businesses to invest here when members of the Govern view the future like that.

As @i_b_b_o_r_g says, it'll be an interesting week. One ting that has come to light here is how much money the Catalan government has been spending with public funds on promoting Independence for the last decade. One ex president handed over 1,000,000 euro to found a radical pro Independence newspapaer, Ara ('Now' in English) and they continue to subsidise it. Ither payments include inviting possibly friendly members of the international press here to explain how badly Independence is neede, and to offer presents for a good write up. Yet more has been spent on kiddies books explaining how Spain has systematically robbed Catalunya forever, and continues to do so until the Catalans shake off the chains of oppression.

I guess my take is still that this could have been avoided if the idiotic Mariano Rajoy had actually offered constructive dialogue six years ago, instead of pompously waving the Catalans away. But the more the covert Independence machinations come to light, the more angry I get that these people are sabotaging the entire country for their inflated egoistic ideas of Independence. Various groups (teachers and members of the Catalan government among others) have already stated that they will not under any circumstance obey orders from Madrid, so there will probably be a head on collision later in the week. For the rest of us, tourism is already calculating a billion euros in lost bookings and cancellations, the property and construction markets have stalled. That is two major players in the Catalan economy. As a friend of mine said yesterday, was it really so bad here that they had to do all of this? And for what gain? Idiots.

Did they not look at increasing trade relations with Bangladesh? Apparently this is the way forward for newly independent, stand alone, 'we've taken back our sovereignty', countries.

When the history books are written it will be a close run contest to decide which is the most stupid, moronic, self-destructive decision by a population in the 21st century, Brexit or the Catalan independence vote.
    F**f if you have nothing sensible to add
  • Options
    I must admit to not know too much detail on this and it has probably been covered earlier in the thread. However can some-one tell me why there the Spanish govt will not allow a proper vote on independence?
    It seems to me they are scared of losing power as all politicians are. Please correct me if I am wrong as I really do not have an idea on this and probably ought to
  • Options
    It was illegal in the sense that it was against the law, plus there seems to be even less mandate for Catalan independence demographically than there is for Scottish independence. You'd think people porporting to dislike the establishment would get that.
  • Options
    Any chance the violence level increases?
  • Options

I use to admire Barcelona FC and its proud supporters and the fact the club's identity was so closely tied to the region. I now have zero sympathy for Barcelona and Catalonia. They are just another example of small minded arrogant deluded nasty nationalism.

Surely the Nationalists are those who want to keep the region as part of Spain (the polar opposite to what you have said)?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I use to admire Barcelona FC and its proud supporters and the fact the club's identity was so closely tied to the region. I now have zero sympathy for Barcelona and Catalonia. They are just another example of small minded arrogant deluded nasty nationalism.

Surely the Nationalists are those who want to keep the region as part of Spain (the polar opposite to what you have said)?

I always thought the Catalans believed they are a special (all nationalists believe they are special) nation within a nation.
  • Options
    redman said:

Been off this for a while - I was away from Catalunya, and also fairly sick of the whole thing. Driving back from Andalusia on saturday listening to the radio made me remember how Little I missed all of this. A couple of fun quotes when the article 155 was invoked and ten, The mayores of Barcelona, Ada Colau said it was the worst day in 40 years for Barcelona, neatly forgettint the 17 people who died in a terrorist attack on the Ramblas two months ago, Another member of the Catalan Independence movement said they were in 'shock' after the attack on democracy here. To be honest, this sort of childish victimism is really beginning to grind my gears. They neatly forget that they were the ones who invoked an utterly undemocatic referéndum and then tried to apply the results over the heads of all the people who were born here and don't want to see the economy destroyed over such a foolish issue. At the momento, over 400 companies have relocated out of Catalunya, all of which is revenue lost (probably forever if the example of Quebec is to be believed) to the republic.

The pride of place however goes to the CUP anti capitalist party, who only have a limited number of seats but also control the balance of power as they allow the Indepes as they are called, to have a majority in parliament. They were on the radio this morning in all their glory. The curret plan is that Catalunya dosen't need Europe or the Euro, as Europe is equally fascist as Spain. Instead, they will make treaties with other similar countries and trade with....wait for it....Venezuela, Cuba, and some country I can't remember in the Caucasus. You can see the attraction to big businesses to invest here when members of the Govern view the future like that.

As @i_b_b_o_r_g says, it'll be an interesting week. One ting that has come to light here is how much money the Catalan government has been spending with public funds on promoting Independence for the last decade. One ex president handed over 1,000,000 euro to found a radical pro Independence newspapaer, Ara ('Now' in English) and they continue to subsidise it. Ither payments include inviting possibly friendly members of the international press here to explain how badly Independence is neede, and to offer presents for a good write up. Yet more has been spent on kiddies books explaining how Spain has systematically robbed Catalunya forever, and continues to do so until the Catalans shake off the chains of oppression.

I guess my take is still that this could have been avoided if the idiotic Mariano Rajoy had actually offered constructive dialogue six years ago, instead of pompously waving the Catalans away. But the more the covert Independence machinations come to light, the more angry I get that these people are sabotaging the entire country for their inflated egoistic ideas of Independence. Various groups (teachers and members of the Catalan government among others) have already stated that they will not under any circumstance obey orders from Madrid, so there will probably be a head on collision later in the week. For the rest of us, tourism is already calculating a billion euros in lost bookings and cancellations, the property and construction markets have stalled. That is two major players in the Catalan economy. As a friend of mine said yesterday, was it really so bad here that they had to do all of this? And for what gain? Idiots.

Did they not look at increasing trade relations with Bangladesh? Apparently this is the way forward for newly independent, stand alone, 'we've taken back our sovereignty', countries.

When the history books are written it will be a close run contest to decide which is the most stupid, moronic, self-destructive decision by a population in the 21st century, Brexit or the Catalan independence vote.
    F**f if you have nothing sensible to add
    Thanks for the advice. I think you know where you can shove it!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @ken_shabby ....you stated that Madrid are afraid to hold a proper referendum because of the head start in propaganda terms that the separatists have. Yet over the last few weeks the population of Catalan have seen the hard economic facts of the consequences of independence beginning to actually happen with major companies moving their headquarters and jobs away from Catalonia, and the EU, individual countries within the EU and the US declaring they will not recognise an independent Catalonia. The separatists won't be able dismiss it as Project Fear. Has there been any polling of the Catalan population over the last week?
  • Options

@ken_shabby ....you stated that Madrid are afraid to hold a proper referendum because of the head start in propaganda terms that the separatists have. Yet over the last few weeks the population of Catalan have seen the hard economic facts of the consequences of independence beginning to actually happen with major companies moving their headquarters and jobs away from Catalonia and the EU, individual countries with the EU and the US declaring they will not recognise an independent Catalonia. The separatists won't be able dismiss it as Project Fear. Has there been any polling of the Catalan population over the last week?

Unfortunately as we saw in both the Scottish and Brexit referendums...populists simply do not trust economists.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

@ken_shabby ....you stated that Madrid are afraid to hold a proper referendum because of the head start in propaganda terms that the separatists have. Yet over the last few weeks the population of Catalan have seen the hard economic facts of the consequences of independence beginning to actually happen with major companies moving their headquarters and jobs away from Catalonia and the EU, individual countries with the EU and the US declaring they will not recognise an independent Catalonia. The separatists won't be able dismiss it as Project Fear. Has there been any polling of the Catalan population over the last week?

Unfortunately as we saw in both the Scottish and Brexit referendums...populists simply do not trust economists.
    But this is not economists predicting what will happen......it is already happening!
  • Options

@ken_shabby ....you stated that Madrid are afraid to hold a proper referendum because of the head start in propaganda terms that the separatists have. Yet over the last few weeks the population of Catalan have seen the hard economic facts of the consequences of independence beginning to actually happen with major companies moving their headquarters and jobs away from Catalonia, and the EU, individual countries with the EU and the US declaring they will not recognise an independent Catalonia. The separatists won't be able dismiss it as Project Fear. Has there been any polling of the Catalan population over the last week?

I just saw one in the catalan El Periodico. Alwsys a bit iffy to trust too much a poll, but this one said if there was an election (NOT a referendum) the scesdionists have gained 0.1% of the vote since elections in 2015, but would lose 2 seats in the Catalan Parliament. I believe that some pensioners are beginning to slide away ftom independence, but as I said, the people I have spoken to who are in favour of Independence see the current trend as a blip which will be restored once the new Republic is up and running. And there is nothing you can say that will sway them from that view.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Fiiish said:

But this is not economists predicting what will happen......it is already happening!
    Doesn't really matter. Look what happened on the Brexit thread. Actual, definitive figures that the pound is sliding and growth is slowing but all the Brexiters decry it as fake news or the elite liberal establishment trying to carry on project fear or talk down the economy to try to derail the negotiations.
  • Options

No, nationalists want their "country" to break away from the larger nation, think about who the nationalists are and what they want in Scotland and N.I.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

No, nationalists want their "country" to break away from the larger nation, think about who the nationalists are and what they want in Scotland and N.I.
    I could be misreading things a bit here, but if I'm not, a little whoosh is heading your way - the Catalan nationalists, steeped in Civil War propaganda mode, will understand Nationalist to mean fascist Franco supporters.

@i_b_b_o_r_g was being a bit crafty, IMHO.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I could be misreading things a bit here, but if I'm not, a little whoosh is heading your way - the Catalan nationalists, steeped in Civil War propaganda mode, will understand Nationalist to mean fascist Franco supporters.

@i_b_b_o_r_g was being a bit crafty, IMHO.
    Ah right, fair enough, whoosh it is.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    just wanted to say thanks mostly to CM and Ken Shabby for providing us with the Catalan/Spain viewpoint and detail re this.
    My ex in-laws live in Catalonia - but i'm not asking them for their opinion !
  • Options
    edited October 2017

thanks to the peeps giving background and first hand knowledge of whats going on----interesting. Lets hope they pull back from the brink of violence and return to the table with discussions on autonmy etc.

FFS would the anti Brexit bleaters give it a fucking rest !! im sure there is a huge thread where you can continue to vent,stamp,scream

It's a relevant point and it wasn't just Brexit, we were linking it to other populist movements such as Scottish nationalism and Trump where economists and other experts were ignored or labelled as trying to undermine democracy.

If you don't like it then don't post. Simple really. No need to swear either. Get a grip.
  • Options
    cant see any peaceful resolution to this the spanish (cowardly) heavy handed OB are without doubt going to go in and knock skulls with sticks again

cnuts

• Options
    edited October 2017
    So what choice would you offer @nth london addick ? Under virtually any objective arguement, this whole process in Catalunya has skipped laws, excluded the opposition and ignored over half the population. We are waiting on a statement from 'ex' president Puigdemont, but yesterdays statements were clear that the Catalan parliament is now free of Spain so don't need to obey any instructions from Madrid. If the militant side of the population obey a call to protect the government as a human shield, should Spain just shrug and let them do it? There are almost certainly going to be civil problems and casualties, but blaming the police rather lets the politicians who are manipulating the situation off the hook. When from a law abiding sense, they are the sole cause of any injuries that may occur. Plus the populace who walk out to defend an illegal secession.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Potential flashpoint tomorrow night when Girona host Real Madrid, and Real have been assured huge security as the visitors. Arriving by the team bus to the stadium could be like running the gauntlet.

Big pro-Spain rallies today in Madrid again as we wait to see what the next steps from both sides will be. As country after country refuses to acknowledge an independent Catalan state the separatists' cause looks increasingly lost. Have any countries said they would recognise it? Haven't seen any in the news here or looking on the internet yet and would be interested: maybe Venezuela, Cuba and Russia?

Waiting for the news to show Puigdemont's latest speech. Interestingly the Catalan parliament is still flying the Spanish flag from its roof...