Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catalan Independence vote

Comments

• Options
    The Mossos are just as baton happy given the right motivation. At the minute, their previous crimes are being forgiven as the current need is for heroes and villains.
  • Options

Been off this for a while - I was away from Catalunya, and also fairly sick of the whole thing. Driving back from Andalusia on saturday listening to the radio made me remember how Little I missed all of this. A couple of fun quotes when the article 155 was invoked and ten, The mayores of Barcelona, Ada Colau said it was the worst day in 40 years for Barcelona, neatly forgettint the 17 people who died in a terrorist attack on the Ramblas two months ago, Another member of the Catalan Independence movement said they were in 'shock' after the attack on democracy here. To be honest, this sort of childish victimism is really beginning to grind my gears. They neatly forget that they were the ones who invoked an utterly undemocatic referéndum and then tried to apply the results over the heads of all the people who were born here and don't want to see the economy destroyed over such a foolish issue. At the momento, over 400 companies have relocated out of Catalunya, all of which is revenue lost (probably forever if the example of Quebec is to be believed) to the republic.

The pride of place however goes to the CUP anti capitalist party, who only have a limited number of seats but also control the balance of power as they allow the Indepes as they are called, to have a majority in parliament. They were on the radio this morning in all their glory. The curret plan is that Catalunya dosen't need Europe or the Euro, as Europe is equally fascist as Spain. Instead, they will make treaties with other similar countries and trade with....wait for it....Venezuela, Cuba, and some country I can't remember in the Caucasus. You can see the attraction to big businesses to invest here when members of the Govern view the future like that.

As @i_b_b_o_r_g says, it'll be an interesting week. One ting that has come to light here is how much money the Catalan government has been spending with public funds on promoting Independence for the last decade. One ex president handed over 1,000,000 euro to found a radical pro Independence newspapaer, Ara ('Now' in English) and they continue to subsidise it. Ither payments include inviting possibly friendly members of the international press here to explain how badly Independence is neede, and to offer presents for a good write up. Yet more has been spent on kiddies books explaining how Spain has systematically robbed Catalunya forever, and continues to do so until the Catalans shake off the chains of oppression.

I guess my take is still that this could have been avoided if the idiotic Mariano Rajoy had actually offered constructive dialogue six years ago, instead of pompously waving the Catalans away. But the more the covert Independence machinations come to light, the more angry I get that these people are sabotaging the entire country for their inflated egoistic ideas of Independence. Various groups (teachers and members of the Catalan government among others) have already stated that they will not under any circumstance obey orders from Madrid, so there will probably be a head on collision later in the week. For the rest of us, tourism is already calculating a billion euros in lost bookings and cancellations, the property and construction markets have stalled. That is two major players in the Catalan economy. As a friend of mine said yesterday, was it really so bad here that they had to do all of this? And for what gain? Idiots.

Did they not look at increasing trade relations with Bangladesh? Apparently this is the way forward for newly independent, stand alone, 'we've taken back our sovereignty', countries.

When the history books are written it will be a close run contest to decide which is the most stupid, moronic, self-destructive decision by a population in the 21st century, Brexit or the Catalan independence vote.
  • Options
    Saw today that two thirds of the thousands of companies leaving Catalonia amidst the uncertainty there are setting up in Madrid. Along with hoping to attract many financial companies and other industries post-Brexit, Madrid has been very much on the up economically in the years I've been here. When I got here it was in a right slump but things have improved no end, and I guess it will be well placed to take advantage of the Catalan situation.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of Catalan politics, but a recent article mentioned that some regions within Catalonia (admittedly quite small) would have a right to vote to secede from it if it seceded from Spain. What would happen if those areas that were least in favour of independence decided to opt out of Puigdemont's vision?

Say, for example, Tarragona (and I have no idea of the political views there, I just know it would be economically important for all those trade deals with Venezuela, Cuba, etc.) decided to remain Spanish.

It's just that I get the feeling that there is a very vocal, but often localised, percentage of the community that is in favour of independence.

Mind you, I'm amazed at how much uncritical English language media attention the independence side are getting.
  • Options
    Theres a move afoot for Taragona and Barcelona to secede from the secession. I don't know how much support it will get but Barcelona is fairly cosmopolitan and a lot of people there are looking a bit further ahead than closing all the frontiers.
  • Options
    Latest news from English edition of El Pais, Spain's main newspaper:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/10/25/inenglish/1508915104_749277.html?id_externo_rsoc=FB_CM_EN
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Just picked up this article from the same page. Laughable that Catalonia’s deputy premier and head of the economy department for the region, claims guaranteed access to the European Single Market. Also states over 1,300 companies have changed their registered address in recent days.
    Also interesting point about "Savings are guaranteed". It says "new Catalan state would have no access to European Central Bank (ECB) liquidity and would therefore have trouble financing a bailout or guaranteeing deposits".

https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/10/24/inenglish/1508829623_178407.html?rel=mas
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

Just picked up this article from the same page. Laughable that Catalonia’s deputy premier and head of the economy department for the region, claims guaranteed access to the European Single Market. Also states over 1,300 companies have changed their registered address in recent days.
    Also interesting point about "Savings are guaranteed". It says "new Catalan state would have no access to European Central Bank (ECB) liquidity and would therefore have trouble financing a bailout or guaranteeing deposits".

https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/10/24/inenglish/1508829623_178407.html?rel=mas

Literally same thing happened in both the Scottish and Brexit referendums, both the secessionist campaigns claimed they would automatically enter the single market.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It's like a chess game here at the moment with both sides being very careful with each move. Puigdemont has been told to come to the senate to explain what is happening but is refusing to do so and it feels a bit like a stalemate at the moment.

It also feels like the independents are playing for time now as they are realising they don't have widespread support amongst Catalans or a proper plan for independence. As Ken earlier said there is also a big division within Catalunya itself with Tarragona and Barcelona being far less supportive of independence than Girona and Lleida of the four provinces. The central government's strategy now seems to be playing the long game/don't do much approach to see if the various factions of the independence movement implode and bicker amongst themselves.

Meanwhile the impact on the economy of Catalunya continues. Today some of the cruise companies that dock in Barcelona and unload passengers for day trips said they will suspend this for fear of tourists getting involved in civil disturbances. That is very unlikely to happen but it's a risk I guess tourists and tour companies don't want to take. This and the thousands of companies that have already left is having a massive impact in the region for what looks like a lost cause for the separatists.
  • Options
    The news this morning is that 1500 companies have moved their headquarters or fiscal addresses out of Catalunya since october 1st. Some big names too, including the very Catalan Caixa bank, who have made clear this is not an interim measure, but a definitive move. The news here tends to reflect very much who is telling it, so most of what I could report is a bit dependent on who is telling it. There were strong rumours up to recently that the Independent side are trying to tread wáter hoping for a mistake from Madrid that they can sell as 'repression` to the rest of the world. They seem to have believed their own propaganda regarding an instant acceptance into the EU on declaring Independence, and that business would flood into Catalunya, not out as is the case, so I am guessing the current stalemate may reflect the more level headed looking to consolidate the result of the referéndum in order to declare Independence down the line, as opposed to the ultra hard leftlike the ERC and the CUP who wanted to declare last week and are pushing for Independence tomorrow.

The idea here with Independence tomorrow is to try and avert a takeover from Madrid by getting everyone out onto the Street and closing things down, while 'protecting' the Generalitat from arrests by surrounding it with a human shield. How long they can maintain that sort of seige is a bizarre question. Whether they would seriously push ahead like that, supposedly hoping for another heavy handed response by the pólice to wave to journalists, is up in the air. There are certainly hot heads in the mix who regard this as a show down with the rmenents of Franco's regime.

One thing that stuck out for me this week was a report on the catalán TV3 channel. There were huge reports about the damage all this is doing to the toursit trade, so they offered a report denying this and explaining how september had been a bumper month, way above normal business. It was. But I work in tourism. Sincé the 1st of october, bookings have vanished. Cancellations are ongoing. The hotels are screaming for something to happen as a good year is turning to ashes. It's had a knock on effect in Madrid as some of my contacts report cancellations of groups that were visiting both cities. My very pro Independence neighbour was happy about that - it was like talking to someone whose house had burnt down celebrating the fact that the guy next door lost his shed. And that sort of reaction makes me worry this will carry on yet.

Tomorrow, the Generalitat will announce their response. The Independence parties have closed the Catalan parliament since the referéndum, but they are opening it tomorrow to 'debate' their response to article 155. The government in Madrid will also be unveiling their versión of what exactly article 155 will involve. After that, we get to see how the locals react. I doubt very much that cruise line passengers would be targeted as they have no role here, but I can see the logic in what was published yesterday about staying on the ship being a better course of action. I'm due back in the UK the week after (hoping to see the Truro game) but at the moment I wonder if the airports will be open. Interesting times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The news this morning is that 1500 companies have moved their headquarters or fiscal addresses out of Catalunya since october 1st. Some big names too, including the very Catalan Caixa bank, who have made clear this is not an interim measure, but a definitive move. The news here tends to reflect very much who is telling it, so most of what I could report is a bit dependent on who is telling it. There were strong rumours up to recently that the Independent side are trying to tread wáter hoping for a mistake from Madrid that they can sell as 'repression` to the rest of the world. They seem to have believed their own propaganda regarding an instant acceptance into the EU on declaring Independence, and that business would flood into Catalunya, not out as is the case, so I am guessing the current stalemate may reflect the more level headed looking to consolidate the result of the referéndum in order to declare Independence down the line, as opposed to the ultra hard leftlike the ERC and the CUP who wanted to declare last week and are pushing for Independence tomorrow.

The idea here with Independence tomorrow is to try and avert a takeover from Madrid by getting everyone out onto the Street and closing things down, while 'protecting' the Generalitat from arrests by surrounding it with a human shield. How long they can maintain that sort of seige is a bizarre question. Whether they would seriously push ahead like that, supposedly hoping for another heavy handed response by the pólice to wave to journalists, is up in the air. There are certainly hot heads in the mix who regard this as a show down with the rmenents of Franco's regime.

One thing that stuck out for me this week was a report on the catalán TV3 channel. There were huge reports about the damage all this is doing to the toursit trade, so they offered a report denying this and explaining how september had been a bumper month, way above normal business. It was. But I work in tourism. Sincé the 1st of october, bookings have vanished. Cancellations are ongoing. The hotels are screaming for something to happen as a good year is turning to ashes. It's had a knock on effect in Madrid as some of my contacts report cancellations of groups that were visiting both cities. My very pro Independence neighbour was happy about that - it was like talking to someone whose house had burnt down celebrating the fact that the guy next door lost his shed. And that sort of reaction makes me worry this will carry on yet.

Tomorrow, the Generalitat will announce their response. The Independence parties have closed the Catalan parliament since the referéndum, but they are opening it tomorrow to 'debate' their response to article 155. The government in Madrid will also be unveiling their versión of what exactly article 155 will involve. After that, we get to see how the locals react. I doubt very much that cruise line passengers would be targeted as they have no role here, but I can see the logic in what was published yesterday about staying on the ship being a better course of action. I'm due back in the UK the week after (hoping to see the Truro game) but at the moment I wonder if the airports will be open. Interesting times.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are. If you tell people they are being victimised they'll sign up to anything even if it it's against their own interests.

The independence leaders as you say want a heavy handed response so they can rattle on about repression and claim that this is the worst act by a government since the beginning of time. Franco and the Civil War will surely get a mention again.

The independence leaders like most politicians seem completely unconcerned about the economic impact.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I actually have some real news happening now. My wife went into Barcelona to visit some hotels. When she tried to park the car in a comercial centre (the Corte Ingles), she found the entrance was blocked by a group of students in republican flags. There were a couple of local pólice (Mossos) watching, though their car was part of the problema. She asked when the parking would be open again, and the Mosso told her 'when the protesters feel like it'. So the situation is that the students can close down a business in order to protest against 155, and the pólice basically sit and watch. All of which makes the idea of a big protest afer a declaration of Independence a eal concern. To follow @CharltonMadrid and his chess analogy, if the Generalitat declare Independence and the militant supporters hit the streets (or block the motorways with tractors as they did on 3rd october) whet will the response be? I would asume they can close any bank accounts of the Generalitat to remove funds, but eventually will they have to send the pólice and or the army in to restore order against 'peacefull protesters'? If todays little event gets repeated on a major scale, it would be anarchy.
    Cn't these arseholes just throw some plastic pigs onto the pitch at the Camp Nou?
  • Options
    Latest update is that Carles Puigdemont will announce Catalan elections on 20th december. A lot of very angry independence politicians - this will cause a stir. He was supposed to make a stayement at 14.30 but it's been delayed.
  • Options

I actually have some real news happening now. My wife went into Barcelona to visit some hotels. When she tried to park the car in a comercial centre (the Corte Ingles), she found the entrance was blocked by a group of students in republican flags. There were a couple of local pólice (Mossos) watching, though their car was part of the problema. She asked when the parking would be open again, and the Mosso told her 'when the protesters feel like it'. So the situation is that the students can close down a business in order to protest against 155, and the pólice basically sit and watch. All of which makes the idea of a big protest afer a declaration of Independence a eal concern. To follow @CharltonMadrid and his chess analogy, if the Generalitat declare Independence and the militant supporters hit the streets (or block the motorways with tractors as they did on 3rd october) whet will the response be? I would asume they can close any bank accounts of the Generalitat to remove funds, but eventually will they have to send the pólice and or the army in to restore order against 'peacefull protesters'? If todays little event gets repeated on a major scale, it would be anarchy.
    Cn't these arseholes just throw some plastic pigs onto the pitch at the Camp Nou?

Why should they not be allowed to carry out peaceful protest? I know it's a hell of an inconvenience, but from what you've said they don't seem to be doing anything that falls outside of the law.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Latest update is that Carles Puigdemont will announce Catalan elections on 20th december. A lot of very angry independence politicians - this will cause a stir. He was supposed to make a stayement at 14.30 but it's been delayed.

Apparently cancelled, the Parliamentary sitting tonight and tomorrow should be "interesting".
  • Options
    No elections. Puigdemont eill go to patliament with the results of the referendum and discuss the oncoming article 155.
  • Options
    Another great speech from Ines Arrimades pointing out to Puidgemont that as President his job is to represent all Catalans, which he is not doing at all by sowing division and ruining the economy.
  • Options
    I have to say I found C's a bit odd when they first appeared, but I have agreed with every word Ines says lately. I see Puigdemont couldn't say a word when she pointed out she'd been declared persona non grata where she lives for expresding her views, and asked him if that was what independent Catalunya would be like.
    Rumour is he begged for immunity in return for elections and the PP turned him down flat. Good. He can rot in jail for all of me.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Would like to see C's take more of an individual role in the country as so far they have seemed to be little more than PP-lite, propping up Rajoy's government. Maybe the Catalan crisis will see them carve out more of a distinctive path; Arrimades has definitely been the voice of reason in all the debates I've seen and has really raised her profile in the country.

It looks a right mess for Puigdemont now and I saw he was met with cries of traitor from CUP supporters today when he went into parliament. He looks very weak and indecisive, and today's events gave further indications that he doesn't know where this is going.

Tomorrow the Spanish Senate will discuss and no doubt ratify Article 155, and it will be interesting to see how each party makes their keynote speech about it. The Socialists, Podemos and C's will have an eye on the aftermath of this situation and as opposition (or junior coalition in the case of C's) parties they should be able to make a lot of political capital from the government's mishandling of it.
  • Options
    Charlton Life at its best, I have caught up with all of this tonight as I am on holiday back in Córdoba (Province). My views echo those of @CharltonMadrid, @Leroy Ambrose. @ken_shabby and @i_b_b_o_r_g (and whoever thought Big Rob would be in that company!).

My best mate here who has friends and family all over Spain pretty much agrees with what has been said by the above and says that it is a mad political mess with the Catalan independence being an unholy alliance. He says that he has heard first hand stories of non-Catalans getting a hard time (verbal). Two things he has added that have not yet been written on here yet is that there is a link back to Russian money funding the independence movement and something to do with IT and Estonia possibly via Russia. That was my interpretation of what he was saying speaking Spanglish (and me having a bad cold), he mentioned specific names but I have forgotten them so this might all be bullshit but he is well connected.

Secondly he says that lots of town halls in Catalonia are run by socialists (not the groups supporting independence) and he thinks that they will hold steady if push comes to shove on independence as they oppose it.

Just to add a bit of history Madrid stood for two months longer than Barcelona and suffered heavy reprisals and no part of Spain was left untouched by Franco and the nationalists. They took Seville early and killed 6,000 and then marched on to Córdoba and shot another 8,000. I am told that Franco was desperate for Cordoba as his favourite sister lived there, I am also told that the lingering resentment to Morocco was because Franco used Moroccan troops as part of the Army of Africa and they were particularly viscous/encouraged to be viscous, has anybody any evidence of that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Charlton Life at its best, I have caught up with all of this tonight as I am on holiday back in Córdoba (Province). My views echo those of @CharltonMadrid, @Leroy Ambrose. @ken_shabby and @i_b_b_o_r_g (and whoever thought Big Rob would be in that company!).

Yeah, well done @ken_shabby @Leroy Ambrose and @CharltonMadrid . You've all excelled yourselves
  • Options
    and thanks for the kind words @Cordoban Addick
  • Options
    Looks like they'll vote for independence in the next hour. Still wittering on about honouring thw will of the Catalan nation expressed in the october 1st referendum, and that article 155 shows how undemocratic Madrid is. The fact that the vote for the referendum didn't even arrive at the 90 votes needed ny the Catalan constitution is a mere sideshow.
    The idea is that they want to get the population on the streets and defy the government, and ignore article 155.
  • Options

My best mate here who has friends and family all over Spain pretty much agrees with what has been said by the above and says that it is a mad political mess with the Catalan independence being an unholy alliance. He says that he has heard first hand stories of non-Catalans getting a hard time (verbal). Two things he has added that have not yet been written on here yet is that there is a link back to Russian money funding the independence movement and something to do with IT and Estonia possibly via Russia. That was my interpretation of what he was saying speaking Spanglish (and me having a bad cold), he mentioned specific names but I have forgotten them so this might all be bullshit but he is well connected.

Secondly he says that lots of town halls in Catalonia are run by socialists (not the groups supporting independence) and he thinks that they will hold steady if push comes to shove on independence as they oppose it.

Just to add a bit of history Madrid stood for two months longer than Barcelona and suffered heavy reprisals and no part of Spain was left untouched by Franco and the nationalists. They took Seville early and killed 6,000 and then marched on to Córdoba and shot another 8,000. I am told that Franco was desperate for Cordoba as his favourite sister lived there, I am also told that the lingering resentment to Morocco was because Franco used Moroccan troops as part of the Army of Africa and they were particularly viscous/encouraged to be viscous, has anybody any evidence of that?

At the start of the Civil War, the majority of Franco's forces were from the Spanish Army of Africa (including the Spanish Legion), this article (apologies, cannot get the link to work properly on my phone) -http://www.historytoday.com/tags/spanish-civil-war, makes clear that Moroccan troops had a reputation for brutality.

Without the German and Italian support (not least transferring troops from Spanish Morocco at the start of the war), the Nationalist rebels would have failed dismally. Most who rose up in mainland Spain were heavily outnumbered and isolated (almost all of the Navy, Air Force and Army in Spain did not support the attempted coup). The Army of Africa appeared to be enthusiastic members of the rebellion - and, as it was considered to comprise the most professional and effective of Spanish military units, there is every chance that relations with their foes than might even have been the case in a normal civil war (it's not unlike the historical reputation of foreign troops across Europe, they were not generally welcomed, England's 18th Century Hessian mercenaries being no exception).

So, on a general level, if you were anti-Fascist, all things Moroccan would be suspect.

• Options
    Barcelona are one step closer to playing in the Premier League then !

Will be interesring to see what happens now.
  • Options
    Catalan parliament dissolved by Spanish government and proper elections called for 21st December. Now all Catalans' voices can be heard without fear of intimidation, and the majority who don't want this hijacking of their region can be heard.

How the Spanish central government deal with the removal of Puigdemont and his allies will be crucial though: going in too heavy handed will cause a flashpoint, which is exactly what the separatists want. Every step now from both sides is crucial and level headedness is needed to avoid violent confrontations.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I use to admire Barcelona FC and its proud supporters and the fact the club's identity was so closely tied to the region. I now have zero sympathy for Barcelona and Catalonia. They are just another example of small minded arrogant deluded nasty nationalism.