Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“We have a very, very small squad"

Comments

• Options
    And if the kids on the bench are any good they get sold anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It pains to me say this but the ambition shown by Millwall last January's transfer window is exactly what teams looking for promotion must be doing. Their business was excellent and ensured they were always in the hunt for the top 6.

We are currently 9 points off top place and 5 points off second place. I cannot see that gap remaining anything below double figures for second place, when we reach the next transfer window.
  • Options
    Overheard conversation.

"No Roland chuck I wasn't complaining about numbers Oh Great and Holy One honest like.

What I meant when I said we had a small squad is that they are are a bunch of midgets. I know Katrien has done her best to offload Solly to Gillingham and I ring Wilder everyday trying to get him to take Holmes"
  • Options
    Results start to dip. Manager makes comments to distract fans with false hope. By the time the January transfer window opens drop a few comments about having to sell before we can buy blah blah blah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    doronron said:

How many clubs in div one have even medium size squads,hardly any,all we need is a bit of tweaking in the January window and top six here we come,easy.

They tend to have season fit and balanced squads though. Players that can play a couple of positions and ones with guts.

Not every squad has all of this granted but what Karlos has done is build a first 11 that apart from the back 5 all play in very specific roles. He's put all of his eggs into one system that I don't believe with the players we have offers any flexibility. We have 1 centre forward, 5 wingers/outside forwards none of which I think can fill in anywhere other than advanced wide positions apart from Holmes playing behind a striker and two midfielders. To counter that if I was an opposing manager I'd play a back 3 and pack the midfield. only need to nick a goal then

The players are not blameless and I think we I'm the main have players that the support deserves, they signed for the money which is fair enough as they are professional footballers but the other side of that coin is they won't be hanging around once things go to shit again even out of a sense of loyalty to the club because they know they are nothing more than a commodity because that is the personality of our club now. Like Belgium, flat, weird, cabbage smelling, characterless.
  • Options

'and once we get to January we will have a right go in the transfer market'

think you will find we won't Karl

A bit of wishful thinking...

Having said that, under RD we've never been in promotion contention in January, so maybe this year could be different. Personally I think RD would be happy for mid table mediocrity in the Championship ad infinitum, so maybe he'll spend a bit this January to get us back to those "giddy " heights
  • Options
    There's a reason why we have never been in promotion contention come January
  • Options

'and once we get to January we will have a right go in the transfer market'

think you will find we won't Karl

A bit of wishful thinking...

Having said that, under RD we've never been in promotion contention in January, so maybe this year could be different. Personally I think RD would be happy for mid table mediocrity in the Championship ad infinitum, so maybe he'll spend a bit this January to get us back to those "giddy " heights
    He might be happy with it, but I doubt he'd be happy to fork out for it
  • Options
    When did we sign Ashley Barnes?
  • Options
    3 months ago we were told we would have two players competing for every position , bla bla bla
  • Options
    small in numbers and generally small in stature
  • Options

3 months ago we were told we would have two players competing for every position , bla bla bla

And Aribo is the new Viera bla bla and Dodoo will get in behind defenders bla bla...
  • Options
    We have a mid table squad and mid table is a realistic expectation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

se9addick said:

Why didn't we have a "right go" in the summer transfer window?

because we didn't sell Konza and all the Lookman money is meant to be going on the training ground.
    Or mostly on Footscray Rugby Club's site and CACT, as has actually been most of the work/investment this summer? Lookman for rugby facilities - you know it makes sense!
  • Options
    He is an excuse artist, up there with Mourinho.

There is no such thing as a deep squad in League One. That's why we are in League One. As well as everyone else.
  • Options

se9addick said:

because we didn't sell Konza and all the Lookman money is meant to be going on the training ground.
    Or mostly on Footscray Rugby Club's site and CACT, as has actually been most of the work/investment this summer? Lookman for rugby facilities - you know it makes sense!
    That's a bit of a cheap shot. The work going on there means the rest of the work can be done. It might be taking an age I grant, but let's get the facts a bit more balanced.
  • Options

se9addick said:

That's a bit of a cheap shot. The work going on there means the rest of the work can be done. It might be taking an age I grant, but let's get the facts a bit more balanced.
    Which are?
  • Options
    ...... that it’s all on schedule
  • Options

se9addick said:

Which are?
    Fact - the academy prior to the current regime had to train in the dark because the previous regime and the one before could not organise fixing flood lights.
    Fact - the community trust, by having their own picth and facilities mean the academy won't have to leave the atro early as it's been booked by a community session
    Fact - the facilities today even when they are not complete are far better than I have seen and the academy have experienced in 8 years at least.
    Fact - the pitches now mean far less call offs and flooding
    Fact - when finally complete Charlton will be Cat 1 academy and will benefit from no longer seeing their best players easily picked by the bright lights and shiny car parks of other clubs.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

se9addick said:

Which are?
    Fact - the academy prior to the current regime had to train in the dark because the previous regime and the one before could not organise fixing flood lights.
    Fact - the community trust, by having their own picth and facilities mean the academy won't have to leave the atro early as it's been booked by a community session
    Fact - the facilities today even when they are not complete are far better than I have seen and the academy have experienced in 8 years at least.
    Fact - when finally complete Charlton will be Cat 1 academy and will benefit from no longer seeing their best players easily picked by the bright lights and shiny car parks of other clubs.
    Thanks,

The first four are all valid and it's true Sparrows Lane had become very shabby but the fifth isn't a fact as it hasn't happened and there is no clear idea when it will.

That's the question about why the rugby club first before the main building has even started when it was meant to be all done by December 2016.

The regime has been here for nearly four years now and planning permission was in place before they came.

Especially since the £8m from Lookman is said to be paying for it all.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Which are?
    Some interesting clarifications there. Pity the whole project is so far behind despite the Lookman money ... if that is where it is going.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Which are?
    Thanks,

The first four are all valid and it's true Sparrows Lane had become very shabby but the fifth isn't a fact as it hasn't happened and there is no clear idea when it will.

That's the question about why the rugby club first before the main building has even started when it was meant to be all done by December 2016.

The regime has been here for nearly four years now and planning permission was in place before they came.

Especially since the £8m from Lookman is said to be paying for it all.
    I agree it's taking far too long - we had a presentation about the new facilities around 3 years ago and we were told Cat 1'will' happen. My only view on the Rugby club pitch happening first, is the change in design. The original plans did not have them getting the new facility in the Rugby Ground, I'm pretty sure the community were going into the current 1st team building and they would then use the Sparrows access and the pitch for them, would be the first one as you drive in. Granted this has changed several times......... They still need to move the 18's pitch and demolish the small astro - they are not training on the new pitches yet, so a lot still to happen before we see a building emerging.....
  • Options

He is an excuse artist, up there with Mourinho.

There is no such thing as a deep squad in League One. That's why we are in League One. As well as everyone else.

Robinson was really banging on about the small squad again post match on BBC London. Specifically he said that he has about 8 kids in that squad with about a minute's senior time each, take them away and it really is a thin squad. His words, not mine. He keeps on about this, even after a good win, so he surely he believes it, and is sending a message. He has, after all, won promotion out of this division, as well as two play off seasons, so he knows what a decent squad looks like in this division. I don't know how strong a grip you feel you have on the strength of the other clubs squads, and knowledge of the players, but I would kind of expect KR to have a superior knowledge of it. That, after all is his job.

The frustration most of us have is that it is probably only 2-3 players short. However, you tell me. If we were facing Peterborough next week, with Magennis called up, what would be your line up, attack-wise?