Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“We have a very, very small squad"

124»

Comments

• Options

wmcf123 said:

Scoham said:

3 months ago we were told we would have two players competing for every position , bla bla bla

We do, just not two players equally as good like R
    wmcf123 said:

“There’s less time for things to go wrong. Listen it’s going to be hard to find better than what we’ve got.”

He has given himself a get out if he isn't allowed to bring anyone of note in.

I don't think it's going to be that hard to find better than Magennis
    It is unless you're willing to pay a big fee. Proven strikers aren't cheap and for all his weaknesses Magennis is a good player at this level.

They're probably hoping someone scoring regularly will be available at a cut price, like when we signed BWP.
    Absolutely, which is why he is currently first choice for a notably successful Northern Ireland team.

@wmcf123 whom did you have in mind? And how would you tempt them to come to 3rd division Charlton, even if a transfer fee was agreed?

He plays on the wing for Northern Ireland.

Magennis is useful, but just don't think he's good enough to go up with as a main striker. As to whom we could get in, I've got no idea what our budget might be. Assuming Magennis cost 100k, I think you could probably get better for not much more. I'm afraid my knowledge of league one strikers isn't that sensational to give you names.

While I'm aware that strikers will cost more money, we've picked up really good players in other positions (Caskey, Pearce, JDS, Holmes, Clarke, possibly Reeves and Marshall) so I believe it should be possible to get a reasonable striker too.

Not always; first time I saw him live, as I've several times written, was out here in Prague for NI against the Czechs when he came on as a direct replacement for Kyle Lafferty in a 4-4-2 and scared the shit out of the Czech defence (which lets face it is a few levels above the average Div 3 defence). I agree that the lone man up front may not be his best role, but that isn't his fault. There is no alternative formation, is there?

Don't we know that Wigan expect £1m for Will Grigg? If so I am not sure he is ten times better than Josh, in fact i am not sure he is better at all.

I'm sorry I don't have as much confidence as you do in the buying capabilities of this regime. What we know from the SCP title winning regime is that you do your business as early as possible in summer, having lined targets up in advance, and that applies to strikers more than most. This summer we seemed to have learnt that lesson, and then things gummed up again. We started the job but we did not finish it.

Anyway as far as I am concerned Josh is a great player at this level so I am always going to defend him.

I don't disagree with very much that you say. I reiterate that we've bought well in other areas and I don't think we'll go up with no goalscorer. Josh is a hard working forward, whose hold up play is reasonable and he is fantastic in the air. I'm delighted we have him as an option, I'd just like better.

• Options

the only positive with karls humoungous gob is if he leaves hes unlikely to stay quiet.

Imagine the squirrel and him in the same room.
  • Options

WSS said:

Promises, promises.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15568516.Robinson_reveals_the_transfer_guarantee_Charlton_owner_has_given_him/

When asked if Duchatelet has given him any guarantees over January transfer business, Valley boss Robinson said: Yes. You’re going to get me in trouble with the owner!

“I think the owner knows. We felt it was too late to do anything at the beginning of the season - it would've been a risk [to sign more players].

“I back myself and my players. It’s hard sometimes as a manager when you can’t get exactly what you want.

But we felt having a small squad was important and then if we’re close enough [to promotion in January] it’s less of a risk.

“There’s less time for things to go wrong. Listen it’s going to be hard to find better than what we’ve got.”

He's chatting absolute bollocks there. No manager in the world has ever been, and probably never will be, happy with a small squad. They would all like as many options as possible. Does he seriously expect us to believe that if RD had said to him, "here's 2m, go and buy 3-4 more players" he'd have said no thanks, it's important we maintain a small squad.

And as for it being too late to do anything at the start of the season, why not do something in July instead then?

Please just shut the fuck up and concentrate on getting results like yesterday.
    I wonder what a GP offers for verbal diarrohea.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Promises, promises.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15568516.Robinson_reveals_the_transfer_guarantee_Charlton_owner_has_given_him/

When asked if Duchatelet has given him any guarantees over January transfer business, Valley boss Robinson said: Yes. You’re going to get me in trouble with the owner!

“I think the owner knows. We felt it was too late to do anything at the beginning of the season - it would've been a risk [to sign more players].

“I back myself and my players. It’s hard sometimes as a manager when you can’t get exactly what you want.

But we felt having a small squad was important and then if we’re close enough [to promotion in January] it’s less of a risk.

What will be deemed 'close enough' to promotion for RD to get the chequebook out? 4th? 2nd? Probably top and 10 points clear.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

WSS said:

Promises, promises.

What will be deemed 'close enough' to promotion for RD to get the chequebook out?
    4th? 2nd? Probably top and 10 points clear.
    Or any other owner .....
  • Options
    Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

He has given himself a get out if he isn't allowed to bring anyone of note in.

I don't think it's going to be that hard to find better than Magennis
    They're probably hoping someone scoring regularly will be available at a cut price, like when we signed BWP.
    Yep, we nicked BWP for around £75,000 from Plymouth, who were then in dire financial trouble.

They were originally hoping for £300,000.

Don't forget he'd scored 13 goals in just 17 appearances for Argyle in the first half of that season - and they were desperate for a sale at any price to raise some income.

• Options

Personally, I want a settled 14/15 to rely on .. too many players can spoil group harmony and make life difficult for the manager .. you only had to look at the spirit amongst the players yesterday (admittedly after a win and a hat trick) to see that they have settled in well together .. too many outsiders could spoil this dynamic

Over the years many managers have said as much - that they prefer a smaller tight squad with good camaraderie and everybody feeling a part of the team effort, in comparison with having a squad with too many unhappy un-involved players rocking the boat.

The problem with small squads is not only the inevitable injury and suspension - but the wear and tear of the same players, often playing twice a week. Over a period it can take a toll on those with niggles, who should otherwise be taken out of the team to recover but end up playing with injury or rushed back to the 1st team too soon.

And that's without putting unrealistic expectation on a bunch of young inexperienced kids, who are often found not yet physically or mentally ready to compete at this level.

• Options
    WSS said:

Promises, promises.

I think this sentence states that they knew having a small squad was something important to sort, however so long as they're close enough to promotion come January it is less of a risk... because it is. We will still need players but if we're largely undamaged come January and pick up 1 or 2 more players we'll likely be sorted.

However pick up too many injuries and we won't be near promotion and we won't be able to afford the players needed to get us over the line.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Oggy Red said:

Personally, I want a settled 14/15 to rely on .. too many players can spoil group harmony and make life difficult for the manager .. you only had to look at the spirit amongst the players yesterday (admittedly after a win and a hat trick) to see that they have settled in well together .. too many outsiders could spoil this dynamic

Over the years many managers have said as much - that they prefer a smaller tight squad with good camaraderie and everybody feeling a part of the team effort, in comparison with having a squad with too many unhappy un-involved players rocking the boat.

The problem with small squads is not only the inevitable injury and suspension - but the wear and tear of the same players, often playing twice a week. Over a period it can take a toll on those with niggles, who should otherwise be taken out of the team to recover but end up playing with injury or rushed back to the 1st team too soon.

And that's without putting unrealistic expectation on a bunch of young inexperienced kids, who are often found not yet physically or mentally ready to compete at this level.

But then on Saturday, Konsa made his second league start of the season, while Sarr played his first league game full stop, and both were excellent. I can imagine Rosler thinking we must have one hell of a squad for them to barely feature all season, plus have Marshall and Reeves returning on the bench.

Our squad may not be as large as we would like (most obviously up top), but there is an argument that KR perhaps hasn't rotated enough the players that he does have. Why keep playing Solly when he has clearly been struggling for example?