Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When (if it did for you) did the music die?

I'm rereading Garth Cartwright's wonderful book about American music,
More miles than money, and tend to agree with him that the 21st century music business has more or less killed anything but processed money music off.
I struggle to think of any music after the millenium that has been more than the sum of it's parts or any musicians that will stand the test of time. I find myself going farther and farther back for music new to me.
Now is that just my age talking or am I right?
If you disagree give me stuff to change my mind.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I think it is perception. Henry irving recently posted something on here about every 7 years or something ie at 17 the music is best and that summed it up well.

I remember in my early teens thinking the best music was the 60s with the beatles, kinks, who etc and it was all crap nowdays but now look back to the 90s with the dance music and Oasis etc and think it was amazing.

Everytime I think music has had it a great song or band comes along. Arctic Monkeys...some of their stuff is pure poetry for example. Even Hard Fi who aren't everyone's cup of tea really resonated with me on their first album. Killer's Hot Fuss is pretty flawless as an album and there are so many brilliant bands and artists.

The Blossoms "My Charlemagne" (last year I think) sounds like if Liam Gallagher had been the front man of Suede and is on loop in my car. Also people coming through with bangers like rag n bone man etc and the odd new dance tune keeps it optimistic.

Oh and not to forget this corker of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_nrI9crkGg
  • Options
    I stopped listening to chart music from about 2000 and got more into heavy metal and hardcore if I'm honest

Now I find myself listening to old stuff but with my new music coming from genres like Americana, country and folk

To be honest I don't think I indulge music as much as some people. For example I can go to work without the need to listen to music

I also find myself listening to the same stuff over and over so that impacts on how much I listen to music

I wouldn't go near anything that is chart or pop music though. As an example, Adele is obviously top draw and has a great voice, but you'd have to pay me to listen to her
  • Options
    Don't agree with a lot of the artists you've posted RCT but I definitely agree with your points. I think it's a lot harder to find good music nowadays, there's just a hell of a lot more and you have to wade through a lot of shite but that said good stuff is still there.

Even if you don't find it go back and listen to old stuff, you'll find gems you've never heard or like artists you previously have written off. I've lost count of bands I've said are shit to only have them on my downloaded play lists 10 years later.
  • Options
    "I hope I die before I get old"

Just as our parents were asking if they were boys or girls and complained about not being able to hear the lyrics on TOTP so now there is music we don't get because it's not aimed at us.

My 18 YO listens to a lot of Oasis but also goes to festivals to see bands I've never heard of, as it should be.

As long as it's not jazz good for them.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I stopped listening to chart music from about 2000 and got more into heavy metal and hardcore if I'm honest

Now I find myself listening to old stuff but with my new music coming from genres like Americana, country and folk

To be honest I don't think I indulge music as much as some people. For example I can go to work without the need to listen to music

I also find myself listening to the same stuff over and over so that impacts on how much I listen to music

I wouldn't go near anything that is chart or pop music though. As an example, Adele is obviously top draw and has a great voice, but you'd have to pay me to listen to her

I agree about going back into other genres, I am finding a treasure trove of music in blues, country, jazz, folk and classical.
  • Options
    I think 2000 is a good benchmark, cabbles is about right. Just looked it up and napster started in 99. Pop Idol in 2001. Both massively influential in killing real music in the wider public consciousness. When out and about ersatz "music" is omnipresent.

However, for real music fans, the internet has opened up a whole new world of possibilities in fairness.
  • Options

Just as our parents were asking if they were boys or girls and complained about not being able to hear the lyrics on TOTP so now there is music we don't get because it's not aimed at us.

My 18 YO listens to a lot of Oasis but also goes to festivals to see bands I've never heard of, as it should be.

There's music I don't get but can recognise it's good. Like a lot of rap.
    But there's a lot of stuff that's nothing. I agree that it might be age or generation but I'm not absolutely sure.
  • Options
    there is so many good albums out there it would take me way past my lifetime* to get to hear it all. i guess it depends on what kind of music you like. if you only like a limited amount of genres or sub genres of music you might start to run out of new (new to you) music.

*for example i only just found out about a band called Lifetime. (for the punk rock thread)
  • Options
    iainment said:

There's music I don't get but can recognise it's good. Like a lot of rap.
    But there's a lot of stuff that's nothing. I agree that it might be age or generation but I'm not absolutely sure.
    No you are right - there is music that is nothing, and never will be anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We dropped Mans Not Hot last Saturday in the bar I work in at around midnight and the place went wild. Music isn't dead and won't ever die, but like technology, fashion and television, it's not necessarily aimed at your demographic anymore
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I think if you're describing "pop" or "top 40" music, then maybe. But then again people said that about Britney Speers and Backstreet Boys and N'Sync and that was all late 90s.

Because of the internet the barrier to entry is so low these days that you get some brilliant bands. There are certainly many problems in the music industry, including the fact that it seems very, very hard to make a living even with moderate success, but that's not to say the music is dead.

I think you're just getting old mate, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    The end of Top of the Pops was quite symbolic, I still miss it as it was something as an oldie I could watch to stay up to date (and fast forward through the rubbish ). Without such a 30 minute programme I lost contact with the current chart scene as I don't listen to music radio or "stream"
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I've recently found a new genre that I didn't know existed, just by spending some time browsing Itunes. Some brilliant stuff. Lunatica, Within Temptation, Tarja, Sirenia, Achillia, Nightwish, check them out. (If you're not familiar already).
  • Options
    There are loads and loads of good new bands out there if you look hard enough. Pop music has always been a factory, it hasn't necessarily changed recently. Our perception changes as we get older though.

I just got locked into the stuff I like by 30 and I'm really lazy at adding new bands to my core playlists.
  • Options
    Originally I thought when Stock, Aitkin & Waterman got involved, but then Brit pop came along & then bands such as Coldplay, Stereophonics etc breathed new life into the music scene but then along came Simon Cowell & manufactured bands & so for me it all died in the early 2000's
  • Options
    When Gary Glitter got arrested. My childhood hero became no more.
  • Options
    When some frog going bing bing over the Beavely Hills Cop theme was number 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:

It's still alive n kicking, and older musicians are also still making great music as well.

I'm enjoying the new releases of Nick Cave, Sufjan Stephens, Radiohead, Nis Frahm, The National, Father John Misty, Explosions in the sky, Iron and Wine to name a few. My 17 year old like many of his age have access to music from the 1950s up to now and are listening to it all with so much wider tastes then we had at 17. I think its a really exciting time for music and great new things will come out of it.

Sufjan <3<3<3<3<3

And I actually started going on about Explosions, who formed in 99/2000, and who I finally saw live on Thursday night, but I took it out of my post as my post basically just became one about fawning over them.

Also, if you don't already shrews, I recommend Olafur Arnalds. He's good mates with Nils Frahm and they've collaborated and toured together down the years.

The National, another great shout, are guys in their maybe mid-to-late 40s who have made some really good albums. I've just started listening to it, but really enjoying their new album.

One thing I'll posit is: because of the internet and growth of indie labels and lower barrier to entry, there is now so much music being made that it can be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Perhaps we should have a "great albums since the turn of the century" thread.
  • Options
    Current music ... not chart music ... is still terrific.

Music will never die.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

"Modern music is rubbish"

Said every middle-aged person in history.

No they didn't - plenty on this thread, me included, are not saying that at all.

Get with the beat Baggie...
  • Options
    iainment said:

cabbles said:

I agree about going back into other genres, I am finding a treasure trove of music in blues, country, jazz, folk and classical.
    I watched Disco at the BBC last night. Disco was a genre I hated at the time, but I sat there last night thinking, I like that one, I like that one, etc ...
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Current music ... not chart music ... is still terrific.

Music will never die.

Some current music is terrific, but I do find as I get older it seems a lot harder sorting the wheat from the chaff.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I find as I get older I really enjoy the grass roots stuff, which doesn't get much media attention.

Loads of youngsters (and oldies) all making good music - and some of the best, is stripped down and acoustic.
    And we're not really talking folk music here, although there is good creative and contemporary folk around too.

It's all around you. You just have to make the effort to find it.

• Options
    Shrew said:

It's still alive n kicking, and older musicians are also still making great music as well.

I'm enjoying the new releases of Nick Cave, Sufjan Stephens, Radiohead, Nis Frahm, The National, Father John Misty, Explosions in the sky, Iron and Wine to name a few. My 17 year old like many of his age have access to music from the 1950s up to now and are listening to it all with so much wider tastes then we had at 17. I think its a really exciting time for music and great new things will come out of it.

But they are rooted in the old days. It's not new in the sense I meant.
  • Options
    When Alan Wilder left Depeche Mode . :wink:
  • Options
    Music hasn't died and never will. It's just that as time goes by people remember the good stuff and forget all the shite. There's plenty of good music around now.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Uboat said:

Music hasn't died and never will. It's just that as time goes by people remember the good stuff and forget all the shite. There's plenty of good music around now.

I have recently been introduced to The War on Drugs......been around for a little while now but new to me.
    I like 'em!