Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When (if it did for you) did the music die?

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

"Modern music is rubbish"

Said every middle-aged person in history.

No they didn't - plenty on this thread, me included, are not saying that at all.

Get with the beat Baggie...
    You're not middle aged though P, you're old
  • Options
    iainment said:

Shrew said:

It's still alive n kicking, and older musicians are also still making great music as well.

I'm enjoying the new releases of Nick Cave, Sufjan Stephens, Radiohead, Nis Frahm, The National, Father John Misty, Explosions in the sky, Iron and Wine to name a few. My 17 year old like many of his age have access to music from the 1950s up to now and are listening to it all with so much wider tastes then we had at 17. I think its a really exciting time for music and great new things will come out of it.

But they are rooted in the old days. It's not new in the sense I meant.
    What rock/pop/soul isn't rooted in the past?

It all comes from blues, gospel, country or other rock and roll.

Roll over Beethoven
  • Options
    Not heard too much contemporary chart music I like, and that includes all genres not just pop, but that's also because I'm not looking or listening to the radio... But I'm always delving into YouTube and I've just got a trial for iTunes. Found myself getting into more classical and also extreme metal! I'll never get tired of finding new music
  • Options
    To put what I'm going to say into context, my first musical experience was my Mum's Matt Munro albums going round on the radiogram. The first album I actually bought, aged 10, with my own pocket money was Summer Holiday (Cliff + The Shadows), having seen the movie.

I've listened and enjoyed almost everything ever since. I quickly swerved away from regular pop in my teens. And really have taken a dislike to certain main-stream performers, for example U2. But, yeah, I'm 65 but still listen to all sorts of stuff. The last two albums I had playing in the car were Florence + The machine and The Chemical Brothers.

Now, I still have a big preference to listen to a whole album in one go. I don't much like dipping in and out of different stuff on shuffle.

There's been a big change: I can't remember the last time I actually bought an album as a physical item which I regret. There was always something special about holding a magical piece of vinyl or its cover.
  • Options
    The gradual yet overt monetisation of "popular" music (by which I mean stuff that's geared toward the charts, rather than everything that isn't art/classical music) hasn't meant music has died for me. Rather, the way I consume music, and the way I look for new music, has changed immensely from when I was younger.

Chart music has become ever more formulaic with less emphasis on musicianship and the creative process, so I've looked towards jazz and other such more grassroots/organic artists. Sure, some of them would be relatively popular - take Snarky Puppy or Robert Glasper, for instance - but it's about finding artists/labels/producers who allow musicians more freedom to actually make something that sounds cogent and authentic.

Going to see bands live is always great. And playing music is another way to continually keep everything going.
  • Options
    If a busker is playing in the street then music lives, or if a parent sings to a child....there are loads of examples.
  • Options
    When did the music die?

The day Roland took over.
  • Options

I think it is perception. Henry irving recently posted something on here about every 7 years or something ie at 17 the music is best and that summed it up well.

I remember in my early teens thinking the best music was the 60s with the beatles, kinks, who etc and it was all crap nowdays but now look back to the 90s with the dance music and Oasis etc and think it was amazing.

Everytime I think music has had it a great song or band comes along. Arctic Monkeys...some of their stuff is pure poetry for example. Even Hard Fi who aren't everyone's cup of tea really resonated with me on their first album. Killer's Hot Fuss is pretty flawless as an album and there are so many brilliant bands and artists.

The Blossoms "My Charlemagne" (last year I think) sounds like if Liam Gallagher had been the front man of Suede and is on loop in my car. Also people coming through with bangers like rag n bone man etc and the odd new dance tune keeps it optimistic.

Oh and not to forget this corker of course....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_nrI9crkGg

WTF is that ? :neutral:
  • Options
    music is still VERY MUCH alive ..
  • Options
    Disappointed that no one has quoted Don McLean
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something does get right on my tits and it's this obsessive bollocks around the term 'collaboration'

It's mainly in the sort of hip hop, r'n'b genre where you get some
    artist who does okay and then they go 'who would you like to collaborate with'. They invariably say kayne west or some bollocks like that. It's all very very vomit inducing. It's record labels being lazy. For the most part, there's a team of producers and fuck knows what else that goes into delivering hits for a lot of modern musicians (particularly in this genre), and because a lot of is manufactured, they all have to leech off one another's popularity, because their longevity is questionable

It's not just that genre, but they have a high percentage of it

One of the worst is madonna. At 68, she's tried to stay current by attaching herself to modern artists

Retire love, your last good song was vogue in 1990. That was 27 years ago
  • Options

I alluded to him.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Something does get right on my tits and it's this obsessive bollocks around the term 'collaboration'

artist who does okay and then they go 'who would you like to collaborate with'. They invariably say kayne west or some bollocks like that. It's all very very vomit inducing. It's record labels being lazy. For the most part, there's a team of producers and fuck knows what else that goes into delivering hits for a lot of modern musicians (particularly in this genre), and because a lot of is manufactured, they all have to leech off one another's popularity, because their longevity is questionable

One of the worst is madonna. At 68, she's tried to stay current by attaching herself to modern artists

Someone didn't hear Ray Of Light ffs
  • Options
    Music is never as good as when you were a teenager. Listening to 6music 9 hours a day has taught me that there is still some good music around. However, for me nothing touches music from the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    I have no pretensions musically. I know what I like and that tends to be sixties and seventies in the main. However three daughters occasionally point their Old Man in a modern direction and the Foo fighters Glastonbury set impressed me. Kasabian, Florence And The Machine and Palma (?spelling) Violets have been pleasant listening when they've subjected me to them.
  • Options
    When did record labels dominate what we listen to? Mainstream music has always been substandard to be honest.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

cabbles said:

Someone didn't hear Ray Of Light ffs
    Beam of despair more like
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I've recently found a new genre that I didn't know existed, just by spending some time browsing Itunes. Some brilliant stuff. Lunatica, Within Temptation, Tarja, Sirenia, Achillia, Nightwish, check them out. (If you're not familiar already).

If you haven’t come across it already, enjoy this.

https://youtu.be/LFskwQjQQ_E
  • Options
    1994 when Kurt killed himself.
  • Options

I was kinda relieved :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hip Hop, House, rave music, dance culture - it all left me behind.
    I kind of stopped listening in about 1993.
    Oddly, I have been enjoying music from my youth that at the time I thought was uncool, square and my parents shit, simply because I find that now it evokes pleasant memories of my parents or my childhood,
    Frank Ifield anyone? :blush:
  • Options
    I think that almost all post 1990 music is a repeat of something previously recorded.
  • Options
    Despite popular perception, music from the Gulag is not dead yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aExpNlSzqRg
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I find as I get older I really enjoy the grass roots stuff, which doesn't get much media attention.

Loads of youngsters (and oldies) all making good music - and some of the best, is stripped down and acoustic.
    And we're not really talking folk music here, although there is good creative and contemporary folk around too.

It's all around you. You just have to make the effort to find it.

That's what I was getting at when I said the internet has opened up a whole new world of possibilities, Oggy. Sadly the majority are happy to listen to whatever is pumped at them by the mainstream, and it is just the same thing repackaged over and over and over. There are one or two exceptions, but they don't get much exposure either.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Music hasn't died and never will. It's just that as time goes by people remember the good stuff and forget all the shite. There's plenty of good music around now.

Sadly I remember plenty of Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion songs only too well... :cold_sweat:
  • Options

Uboat said:

Music hasn't died and never will. It's just that as time goes by people remember the good stuff and forget all the shite. There's plenty of good music around now.

Sadly I remember plenty of Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion songs only too well... :cold_sweat:
    No way Michael Jackson should be pumped with those two!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Uboat said:

No way Michael Jackson should be pumped with those two!
    Okay - Rockin' Robin was alright.
  • Options
    I am fortunate in that I know a young person who introduced new stuff to me, and new genres.
    Music snobbery is quite depressing to me, as long as a person is being authentic and honest there is virtue. Formulaic and cynically exploitative is less virtuous.
  • Options
    Can't remember specifically but I stopped listening to music radio, what now seems a long time ago. Not necessarily because of the music, more to do with bollocks waffle from the DJ's

I used to think I could keep abreast by watching "Later with Jools" but I've stopped watching that because I find I'm liking the artists music less and less.

So the only time I may hear what's current, if it is, is when in shops or restaurants and for the most part what I hear comes across as dross!

I even emailed a restaurant I was in recently to complain about the music, it was bloody awful. The reply I got was "we want to create a bit of a buzz" and then asked how old I was?

I wished I'd replied the only "buzz" you create is the sound of a dying wasp!

I do think for me it's age, the only music I listen or go see these days is of "My Generation" hmmm now where have I heard of that before?