Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Vegetarian Day .. Sunday 1st October

Comments

• Options

Beans
    Nuts
    Tofu
    TVP
    Quorn
    Mushrooms

Siv, did you eat much tofu before you moved to China? Cos I absolutely hated the stuff but now I can't get enough of it, even the smell of some stinky tofu as I'm walking down the road makes me peckish these days!

Sadly it's the end of mushroom season here in Yunnan but I just had a fantastic dinner with two amazing mushroom dishes! Still couldn't consider going full veggie though, the yak dish was still the best ;)
  • Options

@RodneyCharltonTrotta - quick guide for you.

That's excellent thanks very much AUN
  • Options
    It's also worth noting that the animals that some people claim are the only source of 'decent' protein got their protein from.......plants.
  • Options
    You're welcome @RodneyCharltonTrotta . That's by no means a definitive list but if you feel that you need to supplement then go to www.vivolife.co.uk . They do a lot of clean protein supplements which taste pretty damned good too.

My prime motivation for going fully vegan, as was my decision to stop eating meat over twenty years ago, was for the animals but there is no denying the positive health effects of adopting a fully plant based diet. In the eleven months since I committed myself I have lost over a stone in weight without really trying, my fitness has increased as evidenced by my annual work fitness test results and I hardly did much training. I just feel healthier now than I have ever done in my adult life. It's just a shame I waited this long. Now, if I could kick the smokes and vodka I'd be running marathons. Possibly.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm observing World Veggie Day today, I ate a whole pig yesterday and will be eating a large calf tomorrow though

; )
  • Options
    So out of interest, what veggie meal did people eat today?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I had leftover homemade lentil Dahl and saag pineer for my lunch.

Didn't intentionally have a vegetarian lunch just worked out that way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    The good thing about being a carnivore is we get the best of both worlds. I tried being a vegetarian in 2004 after having an argument with friends about the pros and cons of eating meat and lasted about 7 months until Christmas and broke when the option of having a nut roast was up against a turkey. The turkey won.
  • Options

I'm observing World Veggie Day today, I ate a whole pig yesterday and will be eating a large calf tomorrow though

; )

Oh Rob, you never change do you.....and that's why I adore you :wink:
  • Options

I had overnight oats with soya yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, peach, chia seeds and a bit of maca powder for breakfast. Currently in the process of making a spinach, chickpea and mushroom curry for my tea. Nothing special to celebrate such a splendid day.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

As a lot of carnivores have given up meat for the day I have decided to do the reverse and eat Boris Johnson.

Hope you've got a big supply of Rennies and Gaviscon.

• Options

I had overnight oats with soya yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, peach, chia seeds and a bit of maca powder for breakfast. Currently in the process of making a spinach, chickpea and mushroom curry for my tea. Nothing special to celebrate such a splendid day.
    What number is that curry on the menu? Fancy doing my bit but am struggling to find it.
  • Options

What number is that curry on the menu? Fancy doing my bit but am struggling to find it.

Look for a Chana Masala if you're down your local Indian. Mine is lovingly hand prepared in my kitchen where there are no rules when it comes to cooking.
  • Options

That sounds delicious. It's hard to get good curry sauce or paste here (in Eugene specifically, within like three miles of where my parents live in LA there are two quality Indian restaurants and an Indian grocer), and there aren't any good Indian restaurants. I desperately miss Indian food.
  • Options

Really considering going veggie for a bit mainly because I love animals (not sexually) but also think it would have health benefits particularly the way meat is mass produced nowdays.

Go to the gym regularly to maintain my adonis physique and am concerned as have read it is difficult to get sufficient protein without overloading on foods high in carbs etc.

/
    Any tips from our resident experts about how to get sufficient healthy protein when sacking off meat?

Am I the only who immediately thinks that whenever someone says "not sexually" they mean sexually? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    M&S Greek salad followed by 2 chocolate eclairs .. was tempted by the sushi, especially the fish selection .. BUT .. resisted ..

• Options
    Seriously though, the whole veggies can't get enough protein thing is an outdated myth. As long as you're conscious about what you eat, and AUN provided a great list to which I'd add the obvious beans, eggs, plus things like Quorn, and you should be good.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Seriously though, the whole veggies can't get enough protein thing is an outdated myth. As long as you're conscious about what you eat, and AUN provided a great list to which I'd add the obvious beans, eggs, plus things like Quorn, and you should be good.

most contemporary medical opinion is that eating red meat should be seriously discouraged .. more for the diet (including chemicals & antibiotics) force fed to the animals than any inherent issues with meat per se ..
    several times I have eaten meat, mostly venison, that was butchered from animals that lived and were hunted in the wild .. there is no comparison ethically or taste wise between that situation and 'farmed' meat
  • Options

Look for a Chana Masala if you're down your local Indian. Mine is lovingly hand prepared in my kitchen where there are no rules when it comes to cooking.
    Nah, you're alright
  • Options

No rules except no meat
  • Options

Travelling back from Spain today and after overdoing it yesterday I think I might have taken part without realising.
    I have attempted beans on toast, had pickled onion monster munch and a packet of quavers, now back home drinking fosters.
    The temptation of a kebab will spoil it though.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I had a nice breakfast and did a bit of shopping in this lovely big store just outside Skipton .. just look at all those lovely vegetables

• Options
    I wanted to get involved I really did but I have canine teeth that would feel betrayed if I did.