Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monarch Airlines

Comments

• Options
    Flights booked for 7 out to Turkey for half term. Going to be touch and go whether I'll get my money back on it, you can imagine that's not a small amount of cash, in the meantime need to find another flight
  • Options
    If you booked direct pre 15.12.16 you should get your money back. Or if booked via an ATOL protected agent at anytime. Not sure if post 15.12.16 with Monarch but maybe the card issuer whom you made payment with?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Flights booked for 7 out to Turkey for half term. Going to be touch and go whether I'll get my money back on it, you can imagine that's not a small amount of cash, in the meantime need to find another flight

We paid 458 for the two of us return. Now Easyjet want over £600 for one person. Cannot justify that expense. Plus I just went back in to look again and they've since sold out.

Pretty much going to give up and see if I can get any of my accommodation costs back.
  • Options
    I think the main reason has been stated, profitable routes being losing popularity due to the terror threat. But the pound will have contributed - it is effecting my business so I'm sure it is effected Monarch.
  • Options

Blame Brexit

Obviously part of the problem but not all.
    Is it? - Monarch's most popular destinations were Turkey | Egypt | Tunisia none of which are part of the EU

All three countries have been clamped down in terms of travel since Sharm El Sheikh and the various terror issues they've had has meant that Monarch havent been able to fly there meaning people have chosen other destinations and airlines which has meant a huge loss of income for the airline, something they've obviously not recovered from

If Brexit was even remotely to blame why arent EasyJet | Thomson | Jet2 in trouble themselves?
    Depends what you mean by "trouble". Everything is relative and Monarch were sailing close to the wind anyway.
    Easyjet have bases throughout Europe but earnings per share are still down from 138p to 108p. (When fares denominated in Euros should be giving them a bit of a boost when translated into GBP earnings); Thomson are Germany's TUI Group (and soon to be rebranded TUI) and also Europe-wide. While Jet2 are owned by Dart Group whose EPS is down from 60p to 52p. The latter, perhaps astutely, has been focused on Northern airports until recently where competition is perhaps a little less cut-throat?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Blame Brexit

Is it? - Monarch's most popular destinations were Turkey | Egypt | Tunisia none of which are part of the EU

All three countries have been clamped down in terms of travel since Sharm El Sheikh and the various terror issues they've had has meant that Monarch havent been able to fly there meaning people have chosen other destinations and airlines which has meant a huge loss of income for the airline, something they've obviously not recovered from

If Brexit was even remotely to blame why arent EasyJet | Thomson | Jet2 in trouble themselves?
    It's over a year since the rumours of Monarch going into administration started to seep through.

The other budget airlines have really done well to maintain revenue etc whereas Monarch have continued to leak funds.

It's not a surprise, but it is a disappointment.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Blame Brexit

Depends what you mean by "trouble". Everything is relative and Monarch were sailing close to the wind anyway.
    Easyjet have bases throughout Europe but earnings per share are still down from 138p to 108p. (When fares denominated in Euros should be giving them a bit of a boost when translated into GBP earnings); Thomson are Germany's TUI Group (and soon to be rebranded TUI) and also Europe-wide. While Jet2 are owned by Dart Group whose EPS is down from 60p to 52p. The latter, perhaps astutely, has been focused on Northern airports until recently where competition is perhaps a little less cut-throat?
    Out of curiousity how does that compare with some of the European Airlines (i.e. Norwegian Air Shuttle and Wizz Air being two of the main Low Cost Airlines that come from the Continent)? - Just thinking that you have to take into effect the fact that Air Berlin who I thought were doing okay and was shocked when they ran into this same trouble themselves.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

The only winner in this will be Michael O'Leary as his pilot shortage will now be sorted.

No it won't at least not in short order. Ryanair fly 737s Monarch's fleet were Airbus planes. They would all need re-training on the different planes.

Very sorry for all the customers and in particular the staff at Monarch. I have used them a number of times in recent years and thought they were far and away the best budget airline.

The BBC are saying the factors that did for them were, first that they were big flyers into Turkey & Eygpt and those customers disappeared because of the local troubles. Second they switched to Spanish routes which are highly competitive and third and perhaps most importantly all their costs are in dollars/euros but the income is in GBPs. So, the plunge in the value of sterling following the Brexit vote is directly responsible.
    Given Ryanair charge €27,000 euros for qualified pilots to train to fly their aircraft... it could be somewhat a tall order for those being made redundant to afford such training.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I think Monarch clearly focussed on a market - Egypt and Turkey which was less of an issue for them in terms of competition with the ultra budget airlines. When demand for that market fell off it is hard to out Ryan Air Ryan Air on teh more established routes. I have flown with Monarch a few times in the past and always thought it was a better, more old school experience than the big budget airlines give, but they get you where you want to go at a decent price and generally on time.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

The only winner in this will be Michael O'Leary as his pilot shortage will now be sorted.

No it won't at least not in short order. Ryanair fly 737s Monarch's fleet were Airbus planes. They would all need re-training on the different planes.
    Indeed... the Geek that I am enjoys going on Flight Sim Forums, and although my own knowledge of planes is very limited yet it appears piloting the 737 and A320 isnt like switching from driving a VW Golf to driving a Honda Civic

Two completely different pieces of kit in terms of controls etc.

Apparently as a real life pilot your either trained to fly Boeing 737s or Airbus A320s... You dont fly both
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

rikofold said:

We paid 458 for the two of us return. Now Easyjet want over £600 for one person. Cannot justify that expense. Plus I just went back in to look again and they've since sold out.

Pretty much going to give up and see if I can get any of my accommodation costs back.
    That's shit B, feel for you. Hope you get something sorted out.
  • Options
    Can't say I'm surprised about Monarch, they were the worst airline I've ever been on.
  • Options
    Sorry for those who have future bookings, as well as all the Monarch staff of course - hopefully your travel insurance will cover it, but not all policies do
  • Options

Sorry for those who have future bookings, as well as all the Monarch staff of course - hopefully your travel insurance will cover it, but not all policies do

A lot of policies exclude this but you are sometimes offered additional cover that will include it. Hopefully people will have booked through an ATOL operator. More info here: https://monarch.caa.co.uk/
  • Options
    We paid over £1,000 for the 7 of us for the outward bound flight with Monarch plus over £600 for the return with Norwegian.

No flights available direct from any airport in the UK on 13th so have raised a dispute with my credit card company for the Monarch aspect.

However, we can't use the Norwegian flight home , or the accommodation we have booked if we can't get there in the first place....so don't know whether the credit card company will reimburse for this too....

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully received .Thanks.
  • Options
    @Fanny Fanackapan check your travel insurance for the return and accommodation.
  • Options
    Monarch lost £300 million last year. THREE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS! I don't see how a budget airline can recover from that.
    I've been to Turkey twice this year, both times with easyjet who were excellent apart from the price. Circa £400 return once you've selected seat and booked a suitcase in. When you compare that with under £100 to Malaga you can understand people not going. Then when people don't go the number of flights get cut and airlines pull out of such destinations. It's the terror threat that started this.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Decided to write off the £144 I paid for a return flight to Malaga and booked a new return flight with BA for £266 last night. I paid by debit card for the Monarch flights. I just phoned my Travel insurance company and they said any payment by debit cards over £100 will be repaid by my bank and I should contact them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing on my travel insurance.

My flight money will be reimbursed via my credit card company 7-10 days. Quite easy, after queuing for 45 mins.
    Just the accommodation loss now... unless the owner takes pity on me but not being very communicative at the moment.
  • Options
    Phew...a bit of luck. I booked a flight to Gran Canaria on Saturday to fly out Monday (today - currently sitting in Gatwick) and skipped the monarch airline for a later departure by easyJet.
  • Options
    Flown with them many times to Faro , always preferred their service over Easyjet . Such a shame , got to feel for all the people who have lost their job as a result .
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Nothing on my travel insurance.

My flight money will be reimbursed via my credit card company 7-10 days. Quite easy, after queuing for 45 mins.
    Just the accommodation loss now... unless the owner takes pity on me but not being very communicative at the moment.

If they won't refund you, would they switch dates for another suitable time ?
  • Options
    @Fanny Fanackapan @Curb_It

Just looked at Skyscanner which has flights out for 13th November. Cheapest option was Ryanair. Hope you can get your refunds sorted and something else for a break.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/booking/home/STN/TFS/2017-11-13
  • Options
    Thanks. Yes I saw November was okay flight wise. Waiting to see if the owner will change the dates but not hopeful as its a popular apartment I think.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

@Fanny Fanackapan @Curb_It

Just looked at Skyscanner which has flights out for 13th November. Cheapest option was Ryanair. Hope you can get your refunds sorted and something else for a break.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/booking/home/STN/TFS/2017-11-13

Sadly, we have to go at half term as 2 eldest grandkids are 13 & 10 .

But thanks for the thought.
  • Options
    So sorry both. Just back myself and losing track of time. Thought you had meant November. Yes, 13th October looks much more expensive at £225 one way that day. Really hope you can get something sorted.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

So sorry both. Just back myself and losing track of time. Thought you had meant November. Yes, 13th October looks much more expensive at £225 one way that day. Really hope you can get something sorted.

No probs.

Out of interest, who was the £225 flight with ?