Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Slovenia & Lithuania

Comments

• We need some flair from the likes of Lallana and Wiltshire. How long is Lallana out for ?
    What has happened to the Ox ? Klopp must be well pleased to have signed him.
  • We need some flair from the likes of Lallana and Wiltshire. How long is Lallana out for ?

Ox and Sterling were appalling - makes you wonder, would Klopp have bought him if he was still at Dortmund.?
  • edited October 2017
    It's so annoying, we've had the consensus of ten years ago "they are all gutless wankers, pick 11 kids who want to wear the shirt" now for the last decade guts have not been lacking but quality, real international class quality, is lacking. It's annoying now because we have a really young squad that your average pub watching t has been calling for and they are all getting a game, because the talent pool is so bereft, playing for a manager who only got the gig because he is English, because we have zero left in the English manager talent pool.

Ian Wright is correct, we got there, great. Now to look forward to going out like one of @oohaahmortimer 3am sloppy movements. Maybe his fifth of the night, once all the velocity has gone.

Lallana, Kane, Dier are good international footballers, so is Sturridge if he is fit. Beyond that we are in trouble and without any veterans we can call on to fill in and seal us up.

I don't even blame the players so much, apart from Sterling, he is Shaun Wright-Phillips. They generally are bit parts at their clubs, it's easy to compare them to sides of old and for a lot of them it will be their fourth big tournament, and yet still they look like kids finding their feet in the game
  • Just on my way home from the game. Utterly awful match. Says a lot when the highlight reel should mostly be centred on paper aeroplanes... Looked more lively last twenty but on the showing we have put on so far in qualifying we won't be going far in Russia!
  • That was terrible, can't believe I am doing dry October and put myself through that rubbish.

Tickets for Germany and Brazil at home go on sale tomorrow lunch time. Don't think I'm ready to part with £50+ for that rubbish.

Ox and Sterling were appalling - makes you wonder, would Klopp have bought him if he was still at Dortmund.?
    Sterling gets away with being caught in possession at City because they always have at least two other players close who can recover the ball when he's robbed.

He often plays a short passing game at City and they are the best at that in the land but he often receives the perfect killer diagonal ball or into the channel from a highly technically gifted team mate such as De Bruyne or Silva.

The only time I saw him run at the full back in the second half using the full width of the pitch his touch was awful and he over hit the ball and it went to touch.
    Kyle Walker got behind the last man which Southgate wanted Sterling to do but couldn't - to be fair, though the keeper messed up with the throw out and Walker knows Kane's game like the back of his hand and has a naturally better final ball from width than Sterling by a country mile.

So, in summary, he fits in at City because they like his pace and because he has a completely different dynamic around him in terms of support, movement and short passing.
  • A crisp cross by Walker turned into the blue onion bag by Kane
  • Just on my way home from the game. Utterly awful match. Says a lot when the highlight reel should mostly be centred on paper aeroplanes... Looked more lively last twenty but on the showing we have put on so far in qualifying we won't be going far in Russia!

England have been this awful for a very long time or variations of awful.

I’m just interested, why do you go, is it patriotism/loyalty to country, it can’t be pleasant or cheap?
  • We qualified, that's the main thing. Regardless of us not being top tier at the moment, I couldn't bear watching another World Cup without England involved

I’d quite happily watch without England and probably enjoy it more.

So whose prepared to post the thread “Do you think England can seriously win the World Cup”

Actually maybe it should be me, as I appear to be “The Strange One” around here;)
  • Sponsored links:

• I just watched the highlights. It looked fucking terrible, glad I didn't watch the whole game.
  • edited October 2017
    I'm still not sure why everybody goes on about Rashford. He turns players back and back again but never gets anywhere or achieves anything. He's better than half our team but isn't anywhere near the top boys in Europe.

Kane a good natural finisher.

The rest absolutely awful.
  • edited October 2017
    Carter said:

It's so annoying, we've had the consensus of ten years ago "they are all gutless wankers, pick 11 kids who want to wear the shirt" now for the last decade guts have not been lacking but quality, real international class quality, is lacking. It's annoying now because we have a really young squad that your average pub watching has been calling for and they are all getting a game, because the talent pool is so bereft, playing for a manager who only got the gig because he is English, because we have zero left in the English manager talent pool.

Ian Wright is correct, we got there, great. Now to look forward to going out like one of @oohaahmortimer 3am sloppy movements. Maybe his fifth of the night, once all the velocity has gone.

Lallana, Kane, Dier are good international footballers, so is Sturridge if he is fit. Beyond that we are in trouble and without any veterans we can call on to fill in and seal us up.

I don't even blame the players so much, apart from Sterling, he is Shaun Wright-Phillips. They generally are bit parts at their clubs, it's easy to compare them to sides of old and for a lot of them it will be their fourth big tournament, and yet still they look like kids finding their feet in the game

I agreed with this until you got to Sterling. He's playing and scoring for one of the best teams in Europe of the moment. Cesar's brilliant boot denied him a goal. Single handedly made Rashford's chance.

No clue why he gets the stick he does. He's a very good footballer and he's 22. Rashford can beat a man but then what? Do you remember him putting in any decisive crosses, passes, or shots? He's got ability but he is very raw. And he has the Sterling treatment to look forward to once supporters turn on him.
  • edited October 2017
    dizzee said:

I'm still not sure why everybody goes on about Rashford. He turns players back and back again but never gets anywhere or achieves anything. He's better than half our team but isn't anywhere near the top boys in Europe.

Agreed.

Also, Kane's goal papered over the cracks of an otherwise poor performance from him.
  • edited October 2017

We qualified, that's the main thing. Regardless of us not being top tier at the moment, I couldn't bear watching another World Cup without England involved

You've probably only seen one, in '94. Some of us had to suffer '74 and '78 too. We only scraped into Spain '82 through the back door. We tend to take qualifying for granted these days. It is easier because of so many smaller nations these days but also difficult because we tend to sink to their level. England are always better playing top teams in Europe I feel, until you get to tournament stage! You just have to take the dirge matches in qualifying as a chore that has to be suffered in order to enjoy England in the finals, for a few games at least!
  • Riviera said:

We qualified, that's the main thing. Regardless of us not being top tier at the moment, I couldn't bear watching another World Cup without England involved

You've probably only seen one, in '94. Some of us had to suffer '74 and '78 too. We only scraped into Spain '82 through the back door. We tend to take qualifying for granted these days. It is easier because of so many smaller nations these days but also difficult because we tend to sink to their level. England are always better playing top teams in Europe I feel, until you get to tournament stage! You just have to take the dirge matches in qualifying as a chore that has to be suffered in order to enjoy England in the finals, for a few games at least!
    Not a World Cup but missing out on Euro 2008 was pretty grim as well, after reaching the QF of WC 2006 (and going out on penalties after Rooney was sent off)
  • Us oldies had to suffer missing out on Euro '84 too, under Bobby Robson, then to suffer worse under him in '88 when we finished bottom of our group after losing all our games. '92 under Taylor just set the tone for our non-qualifying for USA '94. To be fair though the Euro's didn't really take off until '96 when it went to 16 teams.
    So you youngsters, be grateful that although we are shit, we've been shitter!
  • To be fair to Kane , It's hard to score when you have no service , and Rashford had about 3 men on him at all times after burning their fullback at the start. They are miles better for England than anyone else in our set up, bar maybe a fit Lallana.
  • dizzee said:

Rashford is still only 19, incredible player for his age
  • I've not watched the game and, based on reports, don't intend to. Looking at the entire squad you can see that it lacks creativity. The midfield is full of average players who wouldn't get near the first team of the likes of Spain, Italy, France and Germany, in fact some don't even make the regular starting XIs of their clubs!
  • Sponsored links:

• We know what happens next.......a couple of untried/frine players in the last qualifier followed by a reasonable Group draw, followed by a couple of reasonable performances in pre WC friendlies, followed by the media persuading fans and players that we will make the Semis at least........you know the rest.....
  • edited October 2017
    SDAddick said:

Carter said:

It's so annoying, we've had the consensus of ten years ago "they are all gutless wankers, pick 11 kids who want to wear the shirt" now for the last decade guts have not been lacking but quality, real international class quality, is lacking. It's annoying now because we have a really young squad that your average pub watching shitcunt has been calling for and they are all getting a game, because the talent pool is so bereft, playing for a manager who only got the gig because he is English, because we have zero left in the English manager talent pool.

I agreed with this until you got to Sterling. He's playing and scoring for one of the best teams in Europe of the moment. Cesar's brilliant boot denied him a goal. Single handedly made Rashford's chance.

No clue why he gets the stick he does. He's a very good footballer and he's 22. Rashford can beat a man but then what? Do you remember him putting in any decisive crosses, passes, or shots? He's got ability but he is very raw. And he has the Sterling treatment to look forward to once supporters turn on him.
    Rashford is twice the Player Sterling is. Sterling is weak, loses the ball and once his head goes, that’s it.....for England anyway. I don’t know what it is with him, because clearly there is something there. He just doesn’t seem to be able to produce it in an England shirt......As you say, he is 22 so may come of age. He has been the same for the 3 years he’s been in the England squad. Plays well for his club, puts an England shirt on and is shit. Then it happens again and again and again. His performance against Malta was one of the worst I’ve ever seen from an England player. He’s not the only one though.....

How many of the current squad would get in the Germany or Spain sides - only Kane. Ultimately we have a below average, club side (at best) manager and mediocre players.

Back to Sterling, he’s doing well at Man City this season because he plays with quality players and has a manager that is all about attacking football. Maybe that’s the problem - the 2 England Managers he has played under serve up dire football. I honestly don’t think he will ever produce at International level (a bit like the entire squad!).

The tournament will come and pass and England will go out with a whimper again.
  • I've not watched the game and, based on reports, don't intend to. Looking at the entire squad you can see that it lacks creativity. The midfield is full of average players who wouldn't get near the first team of the likes of Spain, Italy, France and Germany, in fact some don't even make the regular starting XIs of their clubs!

But don't worry - the newly formed Premier League is set up to improve the England team's performances and chances, you just have to give it time. Just ask David Dein.

We qualified, that's what mattered.
  • We qualified, that's the main thing. Regardless of us not being top tier at the moment, I couldn't bear watching another World Cup without England involved

So whose prepared to post the thread “Do you think England can seriously win the World Cup”

Actually maybe it should be me, as I appear to be “The Strange One” around here;)
    That's a simple one Martin. Don't watch the England games - no one is forcing you to. Meanwhile I live in a stupidly optimistic cloud cuckoo land where we do a Greece or Portugal...
  • edited October 2017
    With the team that played yesterday, the tactic has to be to shackle Rashford and Kane. Slovenia had to win the game which should have helped us, but they wisely didn't go gung-ho and should have had a penalty which would have vindicated their tactics.

I think Alli was a real miss given the set up. Was suprised Southgate didn't swap Sterling and Rashford early doors but he really doesn't inspire as a manager. Playing the formation we do, we need has many goals in the team as possible. That is a big reason why we missed Alli so. Henderson is not a bad player but his goal record is terrible. If you are an average team, you know if you stop two or three of our goal threats - possibly only two - you have a good chance of preventing England from scoring!

A better thread would be do you think England can seriously reach the quarter finals.
  • edited October 2017
    People complain that we get easy Groups need to look at our Qualifying Record over Tournaments dating back to Euro '96... They're easy because we constantly manage to get out of them with the Squad of players we have which will always make us one of the top seeds. Should we start to fail to Qualify for Tournaments then we'll drop down the rankings meaning we'd be one of the lower seeds putting us into harder Groups.

i.e. the same is happening with Wales (and likewise the Netherlands) now, they've been shite for years so received difficult Groups, now they've got Bale they're able to win games which has put them in an easier Group that they SHOULD be winning - Yes Serbia are a good team but they're no better than Slovakia, and Republic of Ireland albeit are a Home Nation are no different to Scotland in our Group!!

Plus would much rather have easier Qualifying Groups as it means the main players are in the Tournament...

i.e. France and Netherlands with Sweden | Span and Italy in the same Groups means its always possible that a big nation will be left out... And that replacement will be someone like Slovakia or Russia and we saw how much effort they put into winning during Euro 2016!!
  • Play this same squad.

Build a team and squad

Stick with the manager

Aim for 2022

Think beyond the last result

Break the cycle

Are we not always playing for the following competition ? sure seems that way to me