Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Youth products making it

Haven't posted a thread here in about 5 years I reckon as I'm a lurker these days, but this issue has been in my head for a while.

In terms of premier league players, there can't be many clubs that have contributed more players (certainly English) to the league. Am I looking through Charlton blinkers or is this true?

Comments

• So, who are they?......
    Gomez
    Elliott
    Shelvey
    Lookman
    Jenkinson
    Defoe
    Pope (ok, not necessarily a youth team player)
    and others we have nurtured, but not from youth...
    Stephens
    Gudmonssen

• I used to do a fantasy football side of ex-Charlton playing in the Prem but would struggle to get eleven now. Academy players Pell, Waggy, Jenks, Thomas, Fuller, THD are the only ones I recall other than top division.
  • Not sure Lookman really counts as a Charlton youth product as he was originally at Waterloo and didn't join Charlton until he was 16
  • edited October 2017

Arter

I was ignoring profile Prem players like him, Shelvey, Defoe, Robbie, Lookman, Randolph, Pope, Gomez and perhaps a few I've forgotten.
  • edited October 2017
    Neither did Randolph join us until he was 16, but I think players that made their "breakthrough" with a club can count?
  • Elliot
    Jenks, Gomez, ? ?
    Lookman, Shelvey, Arter, Palmer
    Defoe, ?

3 players short of a decent team that and Konsa will fill one of those slots soon.
  • Sheffield Utd out perform us
  • Sponsored links:

• Neither did Randolph join us until he was 16, but I think players that made their "breakthrough" with a club can count?

I always think of a Charlton youth product as a player that's come up through the age groups. They've had their entire footballing education at Charlton, that's what forms their mentality and approach to the game. You make the man while he's a boy.
  • Missed It said:

Neither did Randolph join us until he was 16, but I think players that made their "breakthrough" with a club can count?

I always think of a Charlton youth product as a player that's come up through the age groups. They've had their entire footballing education at Charlton, that's what forms their mentality and approach to the game. You make the man while he's a boy.
    So what about those that join say aged 13?
  • I think that's probably fair enough. They'll have a good 5 or 6 years at the club.
  • I feel like we do this once every couple months (not a knock on you balham, Mazel Tov for having a life outside this forum).

I'm personally of the belief that any nurturing from like 12 to 21(ish)( should be counted. Obviously this is just mine. I think in Italy players are considered "youngsters" until 21/2, which I think it about right. One of the things I think English football doesn't do well enough is focus on growth between 18 and 21.

This would be the list (top of my head) following my criteria.
    Elliot
    Randolph
    Pope
    Jenkinsen
    Gomez
    Shelvey
    Arter
    Palmer
    Defoe
    Lookman

It's a really good list when you consider we've been out of the top flight for a decade and have had various financial problems in that time.
  • Thanks guys for putting down who we have. Can't think of any more myself. So who the hell beats us? Southampton maybe. But the top clubs don't produce much so I reckon we are up there.

It is a massive feather in our cap really.
  • Palace used to have a good academy I thought.
  • edited October 2017

Palace used to have a good academy I thought.

Moses, Zaha, Routledge just top of my head. Oh, Johnny Williams the Welsh international.

But yeah I'd say there aren't too many from the top clubs these days. Looking somewhere like Manchester City, they used to have a really good academy--Micah Richards, Daniel Sturridge, Nedum Onouha, Kieren Trippier, Ben Mee. But since the Abu Dhabi takeover, combined with the increase in quality of the Premier League, those players who probably used to make it into the first team just aren't good enough any more. Fleetwood have like three, Glendon, Hiwula, and Devante Cole.

Same could be said of Chelsea, where they've spent a lot of money on the academy, and have a lot of young players, but even the best ones aren't quite good enough (at least not yet) of being ready to play in a team challenging for the Premier League title (I know Christiansen is in the team this year and I think he joined them at like 16 or 17 so that counts).
  • Thanks guys for putting down who we have. Can't think of any more myself. So who the hell beats us? Southampton maybe. But the top clubs don't produce much so I reckon we are up there.

It is a massive feather in our cap really.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-premier-leagues-most-successful-9671204

There's table in there showing number of academy graduates that made their debut for their club and played in the Premier League last season.

If I'm reading that right it therefore excludes anyone let go without making their debut but worked their way back to the Prem.

The top clubs actually produce a lot of players, just not necessarily for their own first teams.
  • Jordan Ibe, though we released him when he was about 14
  • According to that article, Leeds beat us with 7
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    Missed It said:

I think that's probably fair enough. They'll have a good 5 or 6 years at the club.

Playing devils advocate, but by that criteria Defoe, Shelvey and Lookman do not count then.
  • Missed It said:

I think that's probably fair enough. They'll have a good 5 or 6 years at the club.

Playing devils advocate, but by that criteria Defoe, Shelvey and Lookman do not count then.
    Elliot and Randolph both joined when they were around 15-17 as well.
  • Scoham said:

Missed It said:

Elliot and Randolph both joined when they were around 15-17 as well.
    Perhaps we should settle on anyone who has made an appearance for the youth team before playing for anyone else?
  • Missed It said:

Everybody in the world thinks Defoe was a West Ham youth player anyway!
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Everybody in the world thinks Defoe was a West Ham youth player anyway!
    Yes - true! :lol:
  • edited October 2017
    I joined the youth team when I was 15, for most, after you left school, mainly because in the "good old days" there were no really young youth teams and it was under 18, then reserves and then first team. Not that anyone cares, but no, I did not get any further than the under 18 team, so sadly, you have never heard of me
  • ross1 said:

I joined the youth team when I was 15, for most, after you left school, mainly because in the "good old days" there were no really young youth teams and it was under 18, then reserves and then first team. Not that anyone cares, but no, I did not get any further than the under 18 team, so sadly, you have never heard of me

Were you what used to be known as a 'colt?' Who would we have heard of from your era? If you went into non-league we may have heard of you!
  • Elliot
    Jenks, Gomez, ? ?
    Lookman, Shelvey, Arter, Palmer
    Defoe, ?

3 players short of a decent team that and Konsa will fill one of those slots soon.

That team would be relegated from the prem.
  • edited October 2017
    LenGlover said:

ross1 said:

Were you what used to be known as a 'colt?' Who would we have heard of from your era? If you went into non-league we may have heard of you!
    Yes, a colt, I played and trained with an old friend from my Sunday team called Billie Bonds, you may have heard of him, also in the group Keith Peacock, (personally waited outside the dressing room to congratulate him on his 1st team debut, was I envious, Ray Harford and David Stocks, only players off the top of my head I can remember. No I did not go to a non-league team you would have heard of, although had offer from Erith and Belvedere, but lost a bit of heart with rejection. Joined a local under 18 team for a couple of years.
  • Michael Turner played a lot of games in the PL.