Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Youth products making it

2»

Comments

• Options

Michael Turner played a lot of games in the PL.

As did Danny Shittu
  • Options

Michael Turner played a lot of games in the PL.

As did Danny Shittu
    and J Lloyd Samuel
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I went to an FA youth cup game at Old Trafford in our league 1 title winning season, I think it was.

Of the Charlton players from that day I believe 10 of the starting 11 are still pros, 1 has played in the prem. 3 currently play in the championship, 1 is still at Charlton, 1 plays for another top league 1 club.

As far as I am aware only 1 united player is still in the prem.

Would be interested to know what the other united lads are up to. But 10 pros from a single group is one hell of a success rate I would say?
  • Options
    Well whatever the exact numbers, it is clear we are doing something right. Anyone got any idea why we are good at bringing youth through? It's not like there isn't loads of other clubs in London after the same kids.
  • Options
    Yet between Parker and shelvey something went horribly wrong!
  • Options
    Anthony Barness
    scottMinto
    Lee Bowyer
  • Options
    I can't see how you can count both Defoe and Lookman.

Lookman joined us at a similar age to when Defoe left so surely can only be one or the other.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I feel like we do this once every couple months (not a knock on you balham, Mazel Tov for having a life outside this forum).

I'm personally of the belief that any nurturing from like 12 to 21(ish)( should be counted. Obviously this is just mine. I think in Italy players are considered "youngsters" until 21/2, which I think it about right. One of the things I think English football doesn't do well enough is focus on growth between 18 and 21.

This would be the list (top of my head) following my criteria.
    Elliot
    Randolph
    Pope
    Jenkinsen
    Gomez
    Shelvey
    Arter
    Palmer
    Defoe
    Lookman

It's a really good list when you consider we've been out of the top flight for a decade and have had various financial problems in that time.

Can't agree with that. Not sure Lookman should be counted as a Charlton academy graduate, but certainly wouldn't be pleased if Everton started claiming him!
  • Options

Lookman joined us at a similar age to when Defoe left so surely can only be one or the other.

If you take out Lookman you have to take out Randolph and Elliot.

Pope signed as a pro from non-league Bury Town, definitely can't be considered an academy player.

If you take out Defoe then Palmer should be excluded as well.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

If you take out Lookman you have to take out Randolph and Elliot.

Pope signed as a pro from non-league Bury Town, definitely can't be considered an academy player.

If you take out Defoe then Palmer should be excluded as well.
    Agreed, you can't include players we signed at 16 and those we let go at 16. Open to debate obviously, that's my opinion. Pope is definitely not a academy player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

Elliot
    Jenks, Gomez, ? ?
    Lookman, Shelvey, Arter, Palmer
    Defoe, ?

3 players short of a decent team that and Konsa will fill one of those slots soon.

That team would be relegated from the prem.
    that team has 8 players so i make you right... decent players though.