Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Easter City Break

Sure many of you will follow my repetitive negative posts about my life over the last year or two!

I have appreciated all the help, support and advice and need some help one more time but of a more positive nature :)

My uncle has recently received a financial boost and is paying for me and my girlfriend to go away over Easter as a treat for what I have been through.

Can anybody recommend a European City which is good for Easter. I was thinking Brussels with possibly a day trip to Bruges involved. Prague and Vienna have come up as possible destinations too.

Budget is still quite tight, around £400 for 3 nights and hopefully no more than around £300 for flights and hotel. Can be stretched so any ideas welcome :)

Would prefer to avoid Spain and Italy as have been there over the last few years. Thanks for any recommendations

Comments

• I have just returned from five days in Seville and had a great time. Plenty to do for all tastes, great food and wine, lovely people and fantastic weather. Not sure what the temperatures are in April but worth a look.
  • Well, and i know i might be biased, but Luxembourg is very good - a city small enough to walk around and be good value for a week-end.
    Lots of things to see and do, and cheap to get here with Ryanair and Easyjet- and also close enough to Metz (France) and Trier (Germany) both cities with a lot of character- and Paris is only 2 hours away by train.
    Send me a pm if interested.
  • Bruges is lovely but maybe not enough for 3 nights but not been impressed with Brussels.

Kraków
    Budapest
    Amsterdam
    Berlin
    Munich
    Copenhagen
    Dubrovnik
  • Did Lisbon for £160 each 3 nights. A self catering apartment and flights. Recommend!
  • Sorry I just noticed you said you wanted to avoid Spain.........forget Seville, it's shit :smile:
  • Agree Lisborn is good choice. Seville warm in April. Prague, Dubrovonik and Vienna I can recommend as well
  • Budapest (great thermal spa apparently); Prague; Llubljana; Tallin.

All beautiful places mate and a much better option on a tight budget.
  • St.Petersburgh.
  • Cheers for all the advice, will get looking at some prices. Am thinking Prague at the minute, seems like some decent Easter markets too.
  • San Sebastian.....not Spain as you would know it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lisbon with a day trip to Sinatra on the train.
  • So many places to choose from, something I miss living in Thailand; Southeast Asian city breaks just aren't the same.

Being Easter weekend you might want to take into account how busy the places will be.

Two that haven't been mentioned: Berlin (East Germany is still cheaper than West Germany) and Bratislava, from where you can take a day trip to Vienna.
  • How about staying in the UK?

Some wonderful places to stay and squillions of things to do. You'd save money on travel to spend on other things.
  • edited October 2017
    Another vote for Budapest. Can do it on the cheap(ish) too
  • Budapest (great thermal spa apparently); Prague; Llubljana; Tallin.

All beautiful places mate and a much better option on a tight budget.

Can agree re Budapest. Great place with loads of historical interest.

Proper cheap n’all.
  • Was in Porto for a few days this year and it was superb. Would also highly recommend Tallin, Prague and Budapest.
  • Budapest
    Prague
    edinburgh is a cool city
    dublin but at easter - its a no go as flights are pricey and pubs are shut.
    rome is decent and was cheaper than i expected again not ideal for the biggest religous holiday in the catholic calender.
  • I would avoid Belgium or Dublin (and definitely Luxembourg!) if you're trying to keep costs down, once you get there you'll need to take out a mortgage to buy a beer.

Prague is great but I think I'd plump for Budapest, lots to do/see and it's dirt cheap to eat/drink there and the beer is actually really good.

I'm in Warsaw right now which is super cheap ((£1 a beer in the Old Town) but it's not as attractive as Budapest or Prague.
  • I'd second Bazjonster's suggestion of Ljubljana. Lovely city. Worth a day up in Bled too.
  • Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Milan are all superb
  • Sponsored links:

• Luton

Who are they playing then?
  • Budapest certainly on my list of places to go . Cologne is meant to be really nice too .
  • se9addick said:

I would avoid Belgium or Dublin (and definitely Luxembourg!) if you're trying to keep costs down, once you get there you'll need to take out a mortgage to buy a beer.

Prague is great but I think I'd plump for Budapest, lots to do/see and it's dirt cheap to eat/drink there and the beer is actually really good.

I'm in Warsaw right now which is super cheap ((£1 a beer in the Old Town) but it's not as attractive as Budapest or Prague.

You might be very surprised with Lux, its a hidden jewel. Lots of history, lots of places to see, and easily accessible to other notable places.
    Plus also, I can get a local 5 per cent beer for 2 euros in my local bar, so , about £1.75.
  • se9addick said:

I would avoid Belgium or Dublin (and definitely Luxembourg!) if you're trying to keep costs down, once you get there you'll need to take out a mortgage to buy a beer.

You might be very surprised with Lux, its a hidden jewel. Lots of history, lots of places to see, and easily accessible to other notable places.
    Plus also, I can get a local 5 per cent beer for 2 euros in my local bar, so , about £1.75.
    That is surprising - I assume that's about 100ml of beer?
  • Well, and i know i might be biased, but Luxembourg is very good - a city small enough to walk around and be good value for a week-end.
    Lots of things to see and do, and cheap to get here with Ryanair and Easyjet- and also close enough to Metz (France) and Trier (Germany) both cities with a lot of character- and Paris is only 2 hours away by train.
    Send me a pm if interested.

Trier...that was Karl Marx's home town.
  • cafc4life said:

Budapest certainly on my list of places to go . Cologne is meant to be really nice too .

cafc4life said:

Budapest certainly on my list of places to go . Cologne is meant to be really nice too .

Went to Cologne a couple of Christmases ago for the markets. Would highly recommend although 4 days was a bit stretched and we got bored. In hindsight we wished we had gone to Bonn or Dusseldorf for a day.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

That's for a 'Demi' ( a half) of Diekirch or Bofferding draft , which is about 300ml ?

Trier is a Roman City, has some intriguing architecture, including the Roman Porta Nigra (Black Gate) which dates from 4th Century. Metz is a Unesco site, not been there, but all my colleagues talk about it being a beautiful city. But Luxembourg also has some great places to visit including The Grund and Casements.
    Lux also has its own Wine Region in a town on the Moselle called Remich, where you can take Wine Cave tours (in English).
    You can , in 1 day, visit 4 countries, Lux,Germany,France and Belgium if you so wish. As an example, Schengen is in Lux and you can literally go from Lux on one side of the Moselle, walk across the bridge, turn left you are in Germany, turn right and you are in France.

Have i sold it yet?
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

That's for a 'Demi' ( a half) of Diekirch or Bofferding draft , which is about 300ml ?

Trier is a Roman City, has some intriguing architecture, including the Roman Porta Nigra (Black Gate) which dates from 4th Century. Metz is a Unesco site, not been there, but all my colleagues talk about it being a beautiful city. But Luxembourg also has some great places to visit including The Grund and Casements.
    Lux also has its own Wine Region in a town on the Moselle called Remich, where you can take Wine Cave tours (in English).
    You can , in 1 day, visit 4 countries, Lux,Germany,France and Belgium if you so wish. As an example, Schengen is in Lux and you can literally go from Lux on one side of the Moselle, walk across the bridge, turn left you are in Germany, turn right and you are in France.

Have i sold it yet?
    Not quite, but I'm getting there !
  • Dublin or Cork are good.

Failing that Sardinia - Alghero is really nice with beautiful coast and country to explore.