Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton will have to win promotion if they want to secure Ahmed Kashi to a new contract

Comments

• Options

Call me old fashioned, but personally think he's owes us another year after he spent 2 years recovering from injury on the club's money.

A very good point indeed, though there's little mileage in obligating any player who doesn't want to be here.

Kashi is not nearly as good a player as many Lifers imagine. The bald facts are there in the SLP: we "paid a small fee" for him. Note the 'small'. He has "one cap for Algeria". Note the 'one'. For Algeria. At the age of 28.

He's been out injured for most of the time. Of the few games he has played, I have watched every one at The Valley. Kashi is a very ordinary defensive midfielder in a very lowly division. He receives the ball in a deep position and carries it sideways. He doesn't send killer passes to the striker, and I've never seen him cross the half-way line.

If Kashi wants to go, it doesn't matter. We can do far better.

Time for you to visit Specsavers.

• Options

Call me old fashioned, but personally think he's owes us another year after he spent 2 years recovering from injury on the club's money.

A very good point indeed, though there's little mileage in obligating any player who doesn't want to be here.

Kashi is not nearly as good a player as many Lifers imagine. The bald facts are there in the SLP: we "paid a small fee" for him. Note the 'small'. He has "one cap for Algeria". Note the 'one'. For Algeria. At the age of 28.

He's been out injured for most of the time. Of the few games he has played, I have watched every one at The Valley. Kashi is a very ordinary defensive midfielder in a very lowly division. He receives the ball in a deep position and carries it sideways. He doesn't send killer passes to the striker, and I've never seen him cross the half-way line.

You watch a different game than me then at this level he is top drawer.
  • Options
    Love your contributions VF. Don't know what planet you're on but you always land me hook line and sinker!
  • Options

Love your contributions VF. Don't know what planet you're on but you always land me hook line and sinker!

Reminds me of a cross between Ron Manager and Rowley Birkin QC
  • Options

Agreed- I've heard Busquets, Matic and Kanté are eager to come
    Down to league 1.

Kashi isn't quite what he was at the start of 15/16 but he's done well this season. I genuinely would love to know who you think we'd get that is better on our budget
  • Options

He even quoted the wrong game with me!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Decent player & probably mid Championship level, but no higher. Has an error or two in him every game due to miss-hit or shot passes - one led to Plymouth's 2nd and game killing goal. He is vital to us atm but if we got promoted who knows who else may be available. No point speculating now as there is still along way to go until the season ends.
  • Options
    to me he's been the main difference between this and last season .. our midfield was slow and ponderous last season with no commanding personality .. Kashi bosses our midfield and to a lesser extent the defence, he's really the de facto captain, he spreads play, covers mistakes and more and more, loves a tackle, he can also be a bit 'nasty;. every team needs that type of player ..
    Of course, like all players in whatever division, he makes mistakes .. BUT IF he misses a few games on the trot this season, just watch, our performances will drop 15-20% because there is no-one else on the staff who has his ability to organise, see how play is developing and cover and tackle ..

WHEN we are in the champ next season, he'll continue to be a very important player. IF we stay down, he'll be off .. at his age he can't afford to hang about with a bunch of near missers
  • Options
    I actually think he has faded away as the season has gone on.
  • Options
    How do you lot still nibble at VF?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's quite funny
  • Options
    We would have stayed up if Kashi stayed fit
  • Options
    He barely needs to cross the half way line, as proved when he scored at Peterborough from about 50 yards.
  • Options

You watch a different game than me then at this level he is top drawer.
    You must know by now, Viewfinder watches a different game to all of us apart from Colin/Bexley who has now thankfully departed.
  • Options
    An incredibly important player to the way KR wants us to play. Which I like, buthe susceptible to getting caught on the ball in dangerous situations. he would be be better in foreign football where they more time on the ball.
    To me I worry if he got injured because our effectiveness and entertainment would fall if he wasn't there.
  • Options

You have an uncanny knack of producing posts that I always disagree with. I watch a lot of Football and Kashi is too good for div1. He can use both feet well. He breaks up play, can tackle and is strong. I have also seen him get off a few shots in games. He is a defensive midfielder and so by definition will spend more time in his own half. The Kashi, Forster- Caskey axis is one of the reasons we are doing so well.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Must admit, i gave Kash an ordinary mark for the Bradford game whereas others like SD raved about his performance. I think he's that type of player where maybe he does things efficiently almost un-noticed, but certainly , in the games i've seen him this season (prob about 4) he hasnt stood out, and against Wigan i thought he was quite poor, but then again the whole team was.
    Maybe i should pay special attention to him today.
  • Options
    Silly booking today....or was it his 5th and he’s now banned for the Truro? In which case it was masterstroke
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Silly booking today....or was it his 5th and he’s now banned for the Truro? In which case it was masterstroke

Masterstroke
  • Options
    Indeed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw him at the Southend game and although he had a poor start to the game he came on strong and I was impressed with his passing and defensive play. One tackle to stop a breakaway shot on goal in 2nd half was outstanding. Good player who goes quietly about his game.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    If he does not want to be here... then he does not want to be here.

I would rather keep him, but won't lose any sleep if he walks.
  • Options
    By Richard Cawley

richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Ahmed Kashi wants to stay at Charlton Athletic – but the club’s takeover talks are postponing negotiations.

That is the verdict of Addicks manager Karl Robinson, who was only able to make loan signings at the end of the winter transfer window.

Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet is in negotiations to sell the South London club and director Richard Murray has told some members of staff that a sale could be concluded by the end of this month.

Algerian international Kashi, 29, is out of contract at the end of June but has successfully battled back from a long-standing heel problem to be a virtual ever-present in midfield this season. He scored his first goal of the campaign in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Oxford United.

“He’s not looking to leave,” said Robinson. “He said to me ‘gaffer – let’s get promoted, let’s push to try and achieve our goals and then we’ll have a chat in the summer’.

“Obviously we’re in a predicament with the takeover situation. We’re not in a position to offer anything.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

By Richard Cawley

richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Ahmed Kashi wants to stay at Charlton Athletic – but the club’s takeover talks are postponing negotiations.

That is the verdict of Addicks manager Karl Robinson, who was only able to make loan signings at the end of the winter transfer window.

Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet is in negotiations to sell the South London club and director Richard Murray has told some members of staff that a sale could be concluded by the end of this month.

Algerian international Kashi, 29, is out of contract at the end of June but has successfully battled back from a long-standing heel problem to be a virtual ever-present in midfield this season. He scored his first goal of the campaign in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Oxford United.

“He’s not looking to leave,” said Robinson. “He said to me ‘gaffer – let’s get promoted, let’s push to try and achieve our goals and then we’ll have a chat in the summer’.

“Obviously we’re in a predicament with the takeover situation. We’re not in a position to offer anything.

were also in the predicament that you cant get promotion without winning matches - Saturday being a great example of why promotion cant be achieved.

were going to end up doing what charlton do best put ourselves under pressure, maybe its just me but i dont see point in scratching 6th spot to be double figured by scunthorpe over 2 legs.
  • Options

ross1 said:

By Richard Cawley

richard@slpmedia.co.uk

were also in the predicament that you cant get promotion without winning matches - Saturday being a great example of why promotion cant be achieved.

were going to end up doing what charlton do best put ourselves under pressure, maybe its just me but i dont see point in scratching 6th spot to be double figured by scunthorpe over 2 legs.
    If we get 6th highly unlikely we will get Scunthorpe over 2 legs.

It will be whoever finishes 3rd(Blackburn or Shrewsbury)
  • Options

ross1 said:

By Richard Cawley

richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Play offs are won a lot of the time by teams who go into them in form not necessarily those that finish 3rd.
  • Options

ross1 said:

By Richard Cawley

richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Play offs are won a lot of the time by teams who go into them in form not necessarily those that finish 3rd.
    Fully aware of that but my comment was unless Scunthorpe finish above Blackburn or Shrewsbury, then we wont face them over 2 legs
  • Options

ross1 said:

By Richard Cawley

richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Maybe you're right. Let's just give up now.

• Options
    Said it before but too early to say who we could play - just get in the mix first then worry about it. My only concern is that we don't seem to be up for big games & if we did get into final then we'd collapse - can you see us winning 7-6 on pens like the fabulous 1998 team ??
  • Options

Said it before but too early to say who we could play - just get in the mix first then worry about it. My only concern is that we don't seem to be up for big games & if we did get into final then we'd collapse - can you see us winning 7-6 on pens like the fabulous 1998 team ??

Indeed not sure this team has the fight for it. Which is exactly why I've been saying all year that Jacko needs to be more involved. Not necessarily starting games but certainly finishing them.