Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bitcoin

Comments

• Options
    As of today, 1 bitcoin = 9178.34 USD
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

1 bitcoin = $5739 dollars... Seriously?

As of today, 1 bitcoin = 9178.34 USD

Pretty impressive increase in just under 1 month!
  • Options
    For some perspective the world's Bitcoin in circulation is currently worth approx £115bn.

This is the same as British American Tobacco (BAT), the 2nd most valuable company in the UK.

BAT generates approx £6bn pa in profits and pays approx £4bn in dividends to shareholders every year and will likely continue doing so (or more) for the forseeable future.

By all means put some money you can afford to lose into it for some fun (indeed I have too) but don't be surprised one day to wake up and find you've lost all of it.
  • Options
    I bought a bitcoin for £250 back in 2013. A mate at work told me that the Winklevoss brothers had said that they would eventually be worth $100k each.

The only thing is, I can't remember much about my purchase and I'm not sure where it is, how to sell it, or even if it still exists :s

Yes, I'm an idiot. (Albeit a lucky one for buying it for £250 to start with!)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Who are the Winklevoss brothers?

I bet you wish you'd bought 10.
  • Options
    I found a couple down the back of the sofa...
  • Options

Who are the Winklevoss brothers?

I bet you wish you'd bought 10.

They're the guys who claim to have come up with the original concept for Facebook. They sued Mark Zuckerberg, and were portrayed in the film 'The Social Network'. They got into bitcoin in the early days and have been talking it up ever since.

And yes! My mate from work at the time borrowed some money from his dad and bought about 100 bitcoins!
  • Options
    For those of you buying small scale on this where are you getting it? And who are you buying it through?
  • Options

For those of you buying small scale on this where are you getting it? And who are you buying it through?

You could try Coinbase Canters.
  • Options
    My son used Coinbase , he's doubled his money in 3 months. I don't understand it myself but he's enjoying the ride
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, over 9k, think i'll cash out! Why the sudden surge?
  • Options

another vote for coinbase here
  • Options
    People have and will make money from speculating in cryptocurrencies, just like people made money from pyramid selling, just like people made money selling their “fintech” businesses that valued their bedroom at £10m.

Classic Emporer’s new clothes. Will continue to rise while someone knows someone who bought them and made money without a clue what a Bitcoin is.

Will crash when more people start selling than buying, leaving it to the price suported by its utility value - trading on the dark web.

• Options
    It all seems to have a touch of The South Sea Bubble about it
  • Options

People have and will make money from speculating in cryptocurrencies, just like people made money from pyramid selling, just like people made money selling their “fintech” businesses that valued their bedroom at £10m.

Classic Emporer’s new clothes. Will continue to rise while someone knows someone who bought them and made money without a clue what a Bitcoin is.

Will crash when more people start selling than buying, leaving it to the price suported by its utility value - trading on the dark web.

So just to recap, the price will keep going up all the while people keep buying it and that as soon as there are more people selling it it will go down.

Is that what you're saying?
  • Options
    I think what Dippenhall is saying is that when there are more sellers than buyers the thing is going to crash as people think its reached the top and most scramble to sell.
  • Options
    Well it's just passed 10k USD.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

It all seems to have a touch of The South Sea Bubble about it

They should be buying tulips instead...
  • Options
    And now my original investment has doubled in value since I bought it.

Can’t help but feel it’s too good to be true, but will probably put in more that I can afford to lose and see how that does.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Because it's in the mainstream consciousness now creating increased demand. Won't be long before some kind of capital gains tax is implemented I'd imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

Because it's in the mainstream consciousness now creating increased demand. Won't be long before some kind of capital gains tax is implemented I'd imagine.

Policy paper
    Revenue and Customs Brief 9 (2014): Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies

Published 3 March 2014

Gains and losses incurred on Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies are chargeable or allowable for CGT if they accrue to an individual or, for CT on chargeable gains if they accrue to a company.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

That or it’s coming up to party season
  • Options
    Bought some bitnotes in a pub in Hull, £5 for a tenner, there's a rasta in the watermark and they smudge so only use them for taxis and sending friends to the bar for rounds.
  • Options
    I bought some litecoin earlier this week. Price of that is going up. From my very basic understanding people describe litecoin as silver to bitcoin being gold.
  • Options
    I put £24 in a couple of weeks ago and then when I decided not to hire a hit man I left it in there. Now it's worth £45.

I wish I'd put £24k in now!
  • Options

I bought some litecoin earlier this week. Price of that is going up. From my very basic understanding people describe litecoin as silver to bitcoin being gold.

Price of all crypto currency is going up. It’s definitetly a bubble like the dot com boom. However doesn’t mean you shouldn’t put money into individual crypto currencies like bitcoin, just as if you weren’t an idiot if you invested in google during the boom, would still be worth a bomb more now.
  • Options

Price of all crypto currency is going up. It’s definitetly a bubble like the dot com boom. However doesn’t mean you shouldn’t put money into individual crypto currencies like bitcoin, just as if you weren’t an idiot if you invested in google during the boom, would still be worth a bomb more now.
    If the price does fall, it's unlikely to be off a cliff.

If you set yourself a reasonable 'stop loss' then why not. Will it go higher - almost certainly. Will it eventually peak and then fall - almost certainly.
  • Options
    I’ve cashed out...... which means it’ll rocket! But a profits a profit, very happy.