Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Finding the exact time nowadays.....bit of a bloody minefield?

edited October 2017 in Not Sports Related
Honestly it’s pretty frustrating......well it is for me anyway.
I admit I’m a bit anal about having my watch and clocks as near to the second as I can get.
I’ll list some of them....BBC TV, SKY on screen display, Vodaphone, Sky speaking clock, BBC Radio pips, various commercial radio stations too many to mention, my Apple iPad, Microsoft, airport terminal clocks, train stations and finally Big Ben.....I even have one of those clocks that automatically gets the signal from somewhere in Germany (forget what they’re called) and adjusts itself. The list goes on and on!
The problem is they ALL seem to have slightly different times.....if you don’t believe me and have the mind to, check it out, you’ll be amazed.
No doubt many of you don’t give a shyte......but for some reason it irritates me that this should be the case......sometimes it’s as much as 10 to15 seconds or so, depending on the organisation involved!
Who on earth can you believe these days......or am I just wasting everyone’s time!

Comments

• Options
    Buy one of these, problem solved

• Options

I admit I’m a bit anal about having my watch and clocks as near to the second as I can get.
    I’ll list some of them....BBC TV, SKY on screen display, Vodaphone, Sky speaking clock, BBC Radio pips, various commercial radio stations too many to mention, my Apple iPad, Microsoft, airport terminal clocks, train stations and finally Big Ben.....I even have one of those clocks that automatically gets the signal from somewhere in Germany (forget what they’re called) and adjusts itself. The list goes on and on!
    The problem is they ALL seem to have slightly different times.....if you don’t believe me and have the mind to, check it out, you’ll be amazed.
    No doubt many of you don’t give a shyte......but for some reason it irritates me that this should be the case......sometimes it’s as much as 10 to15 seconds or so, depending on the organisation involved!
    Who on earth can you believe these days......or am I just wasting everyone’s time!

I second this point of view
  • Options
    My galaxy tablet remembered to put its clock back an hour but its been 12 minutes fast for nearly a year.

I don't want to change it as I'm so used to it I might miss something
  • Options
    My microwave seems to run on a 59 second minute, so over time it runs fast. It gains up to 5 minutes a month so I have to keep putting it back.
  • Options
    Just Google "UK Time now" and you get an accurate time check.
  • Options
    So, what time is it?
  • Options
    www.time.is

I use it to set all my watches and it's linked to the atomic clock. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to accuracy and the second hand must be spot on and the minute hand must also hit the marker dead on as well.
  • Options
    I have this weather station thingy. It picks up the time from some atomic clock (in Germany I think) and adjusts itself daily. I've just checked it against https://time.is/ and it was bang on the money. The web site said my computer clock was 2 seconds out. (Of course, my weather station and the web site could be getting their answer from the same source and they are all wrong!)
  • Options
    The big clock on my wall is an hour out, but I've just had a shoulder op so I can't take it down and change it.

Imagine how annoying it is having to see that every time you look at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could some of the discrepancy have to do with the digital time lag effect?
  • Options

Who knows?
  • Options

I second this point of view
    now, hang on a minute ...
  • Options
    One thing that’s become apparent is some of you are saying you have the correct time with absolutely certainty.
    Might I suggest that there are now so many sources who will proudly tell you it’s the exact time that one cannot be categorically sure.
  • Options
    If you have multiple TVs running from different feeds (as is the case in my house because I’m the only one that turns them off - must be something to do with also being the only one that pays the bills) then the same programmes will be running a second or two out of sync so that means the times that are showing on the tv programmes are not necessarily accurate either. I just go by the time on my phone these days because I wear an automatic watch and they are never accurate.
  • Options
    As the earth rotates at around 900 mph in mid latitudes the time in, for instance, Western Cornwall is actually about 20 minutes later than it is in Charlton.

Ask Oggy Red. he's been living in the past for years.
  • Options

Buy one of these, problem solved

Got one last year, don't wear it much, will have to dig it out.
  • Options

I think this is right. I remember in the days when you could still get analog TV, it was "ahead" of the time shown on SKY on the same channel. The problem is that this digital time lag is not consistent, as it depends on so many factors, so they can't anticipate the lag and set their clocks accordingly. New technology isn't always an improvement.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I know my digital radio is sometimes up to 30 seconds behind FM, and that's mostly due to the sh*t processor in the radio.
  • Options

As the earth rotates at around 900 mph in mid latitudes the time in, for instance, Western Cornwall is actually about 20 minutes later than it is in Charlton.

Ask Oggy Red. he's been living in the past for years.

Not sure that's right - I thought Western Cornwall was about 60 years slow compared to London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big Ben's bongs on Radio 4's news at six are always two minutes late in my car. I suspect that Big Ben is more accurate than Audi's in car system (and before anyone says it, yes I do drive two yards up everyone else's arse flashing my headlights (Xenon for extra annoyance) because I drive an Audi).
  • Options

Big Ben's bongs on Radio 4's news at six are always two minutes late in my car. I suspect that Big Ben is more accurate than Audi's in car system (and before anyone says it, yes I do drive two yards up everyone else's arse flashing my headlights (Xenon for extra annoyance) because I drive an Audi).

So you’re that bastard!
  • Options

Bloody Audi drivers!!

I much prefer driving a BMW where every other road user respects me completely. The clock is accurate as well!!
  • Options

Is that because you are distracted by Big Ben 's Bongs?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Bloody Audi drivers!!

I much prefer driving a BMW where every other road user respects me completely. The clock is accurate as well!!
    And everyone else has to be a mind reader because indicators are an extra on a BMW that no owner will shell out for. ;-)
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Bloody Audi drivers!!

And everyone else has to be a mind reader because indicators are an extra on a BMW that no owner will shell out for. ;-)
    But why pay for indicators? I've been driving so long I still use hand signals - mostly one finger, sometimes two.
  • Options
    Atomic clocks are the way forward
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Atomic clocks are the way forward

Or backwards as was proved on Sunday morning......at least down my way.
  • Options
    iainment said:

So, what time is it?

About time Big Ben had babies and we all had watches