Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Finding the exact time nowadays.....bit of a bloody minefield?

13»

Comments

• Options

Good, some of you are very anal or have OCD.

I usually like my watch to be 30-60 secs fast, just so I'm not late to catch a train (which I hardly ever do nowdays, so doesn't really bother me). The clock on my laptop seems to lose about a minute every month and so does my car.

can't really see the issue, especially if you are only talking seconds. What does it matter ?

Only seconds! You are sorely misguided. 12 midday is when the sun is overhead. If you travel by train from London to Penzance on the midday train and it takes 4 hours you have been robbed of 15 minutes of life by National Rail when it arrives London time 4pm. Your train actually left at 11.45 am and arrived at 4.45 pm. It is a disgrace, all because people can't be bothered to set their watches to the correct time of day. It could work really easily using GPS to automatically change your digital watch and laptop every 5 seconds. Never miss another train again.

Sunrise today was 6:52 and sunset was 16:35, so 12 may be midday, however the sun is not directly overhead.
  • Options

Wasn't there an experiment where they had 2 identical clocks, put one on the platform in London and another on a train to Scotland, which when it returned had a different time? (possibly billionths of a second).
    I may have dreamt this as I can find no reference on a quick google search.

This says you are right:

• Options
    'A person with a clock knows the time. A person with two clocks is never sure'.
  • Options

I've recently started doing some freelance training at a new school, literally every clock in the building is different, drives me mental.

Never a problem in the olden days. Schools, offices, factories would have one master clock which would regulate the time on all the other 'slave' clocks around the building.
  • Options

Look up 'NTP' (Network Time Protocol)

Time drift is a massive problem in IT - synchronisation with a reliable internet time source is extremely important. There are a number of time servers publicly accessible on the internet - many run by the military and synchronised to atomic clocks. Every network I've ever been responsible for running has an authoritative time source (in a Windows environment, usually the primary domain controller emulator or - back in the NT days - the 'actual' primary domain controller, but sometimes a dedicated time server) - this is synced with a local public time source, and becomes the authoritative source for time in the network

I had a cracking problem a few years back whereby the time source I was synced with unexpectedly shit the bed and briefly (less than a minute) showed a time & date of 1st Jan 1970 (UNIX time). Unfortunately, the authoritative source for the domain happened to sync during that period, and we had huge problems as a result - took a good while to figure out what had caused them

Reading that back has caused me to come to two conclusions:
    1 - time is very important
    2 - I'm a fucking nerd

I used to install BT Kilostream circuits, they would deliver perfect timing as ultimately derived from an atomic clock. I believe they would always assume the master clock role if used in a network. I doubt there's much of a kilostream network left nowadays as technology has moved on.

Time and tide waits for no man.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I've recently started doing some freelance training at a new school, literally every clock in the building is different, drives me mental.

I'd go by the ones that give,you the shortest working day and longest lunch hour / break periods :wink:
    That's what all the teachers are doing and I'm trying to stop!!!!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Wasn't there an experiment where they had 2 identical clocks, put one on the platform in London and another on a train to Scotland, which when it returned had a different time? (possibly billionths of a second).

It was actually flights around the world

https://paulba.no/paper/Hafele_Keating.pdf
    The timekeeping of man-made satellites (including the International Space Station) requires routine adjustment - because of relativity. They are falling around the earth at enough speed that they experience time differently from us on the earth's surface. It only amounts to a fraction of a second a year.
  • Options
    Can't you ring the speaking clock any more?

"At the third stroke the time (by Accurist) will be ............."

It wasn't the same after it gained a sponsor
  • Options
    My problem, and it ain't just when the clocks go back / forward but also traveling between UK and France, is actually knowing if the time has adjusted itself or not, so I have to Google "time in Paris" to confirm. Strange thing that the clock in our car adjusted itself last weekend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My problem, and it ain't just when the clocks go back / forward but also traveling between UK and France, is actually knowing if the time has adjusted itself or not, so I have to Google "time in Paris" to confirm. Strange thing that the clock in our car adjusted itself last weekend

I assume its not an Audi - that would just now be an hour and two minutes wrong.
  • Options

I assume its not an Audi - that would just now be an hour and two minutes wrong.
    Merc mate
  • Options
    perhaps a new thread on different cars abilities to automatically change their time displays dependent on timezone / and or central government policy in regards to daylight saving hours is needed- this has legs...
  • Options
    We'll look into it
  • Options

We'll look into it

I reckon that 'to do' list now stretches half way round the world never mind about satellites in orbit :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

We'll look into it

I reckon that 'to do' list now stretches half way round the world never mind about satellites in orbit :wink:
    Im just humouring them, we dont look into fuck all.

Keep it under your hat though....
  • Options

cabbles said:

The timekeeping of man-made satellites (including the International Space Station) requires routine adjustment - because of relativity. They are falling around the earth at enough speed that they experience time differently from us on the earth's surface. It only amounts to a fraction of a second a year.
    This is the Lorentz Factor at work isn't it?

See the Twins Paradox.

(We all thank our Gods that there aren't two of you. Although, presumably in a parallel universe there's a small woman called Roberta who still runs a sweetie shop in Park Grove.)
  • Options

perhaps a new thread on different cars abilities to automatically change their time displays dependent on timezone / and or central government policy in regards to daylight saving hours is needed- this has legs...

Yes, then everyone could boast about the car they drive (2007 Jaguar XK8 Convertible).
  • Options

Honestly it’s pretty frustrating......well it is for me anyway.
    I admit I’m a bit anal about having my watch and clocks as near to the second as I can get.
    I’ll list some of them....BBC TV, SKY on screen display, Vodaphone, Sky speaking clock, BBC Radio pips, various commercial radio stations too many to mention, my Apple iPad, Microsoft, airport terminal clocks, train stations and finally Big Ben.....I even have one of those clocks that automatically gets the signal from somewhere in Germany (forget what they’re called) and adjusts itself. The list goes on and on!
    The problem is they ALL seem to have slightly different times.....if you don’t believe me and have the mind to, check it out, you’ll be amazed.
    No doubt many of you don’t give a shyte......but for some reason it irritates me that this should be the case......sometimes it’s as much as 10 to15 seconds or so, depending on the organisation involved!
    Who on earth can you believe these days......or am I just wasting everyone’s time!

I think we all have too much time on our hands.
  • Options
    Question for Leroy.

So Leroy.....having read with great interest some of the more technical posts. Can you tell me where would you go, simply and without fuss, to find the exact time.
    I assume it will be somewhere on line?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Xhamster
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

www.time.is

I use it to set all my watches and it's linked to the atomic clock. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to accuracy and the second hand must be spot on and the minute hand must also hit the marker dead on as well.

Does this only give the time in Icelandic?
  • Options

The big clock on my wall is an hour out, but I've just had a shoulder op so I can't take it down and change it.

Imagine how annoying it is having to see that every time you look at it.

We keep the car radio on GMT because we can't find the instruction book so don't know how to change it.
  • Options

Buy one of these, problem solved

Is that Spanish? They have the right attitude to time - quarter past, half past, quarter to or on the hour are the only differentiations they seem to bother with.
  • Options

Merc mate
    I'd have thought with all that to-ing and fro-ing 'twixt the UK and France you'd know "Thank you" in French is merci, not merc.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

This is the Lorentz Factor at work isn't it?
    Yes, as per your formula. It is a measurable factor that has an incremental effect on, for example, GPS, even at the piddling velocities of satellites (generally under 20,000 mph).
  • Options

Question for Leroy.

So Leroy.....having read with great interest some of the more technical posts. Can you tell me where would you go, simply and without fuss, to find the exact time.
    I assume it will be somewhere on line?

Aye. Type 'What is the time' into Google. Literally the first link when clicked on will give you the current accurate to the second time