Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton academy 7th most productive in the football league

... According to this study: https://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit

Pretty good. Above Liverpool, and the most productive of all category 2 academies.

Another interesting point - stoke are 53rd and have a category one academy, what's going wrong there and at other low ranking cat 1 academies like Brighton and Sunderland?

Comments

• Brighton always had a very good youth setup, elphick at Villa and Lynch at qpr are a couple. Not sure why they haven’t been producing recently although they do have dunk at the moment
  • Sunderland also produced Henderson and colback
  • We have always had a very good academy and that’s not a surprise, the work they do is phenomenal and that has nothing to do with ownership or anything, only the quality that the academy constantly produces.

On contrast, one thing from that link is showing is how bad Swansea have done. They’re a premier league club with category one academy, but only 2 players last season who came through their academy played in the top five divisions of football in this country. Astonishingly bad.
  • What distinguishes different categories ?
  • What distinguishes different categories ?

Money.
  • Sage said:

We have always had a very good academy and that’s not a surprise, the work they do is phenomenal and that has nothing to do with ownership or anything, only the quality that the academy constantly produces.

On contrast, one thing from that link is showing is how bad Swansea have done. They’re a premier league club with category one academy, but only 2 players last season who came through their academy played in the top five divisions of football in this country. Astonishingly bad.

It can't be correct that it's nothing to do with the ownership. It's a hell of a lot to do with the ownership.
    Which ownership is most responsible, is the question.
  • I believe a similar FA report 2 years ago also found us as 7th.
  • edited October 2017
    What the hell goes on at Swansea's academy ??
  • I believe a similar FA report 2 years ago also found us as 7th.

What, no improvement! Heads must roll!
  • Sponsored links:

• What the hell goes on at Swansea's academy ??

I think whats worse is the fact there are only 86-teams on that list

the FA should be asking themselves where the other six teams are and why they've closed their Academies
  • Is there not a big snag with this study?

It tells us nothing about how many youths were at an academy and the success rate as a percentage of that number.

Without knowing the attrition rate the table is meaningless.

Potentially it all looks a bit "never mind the quality feel the width".

From the parent's point of view, it also tells him nothing. It doesn't inform him on whether the academy only cherry-picked the very best prospects or any old riff-raff for example. It doesn't matter how good the academy and its training regime is if his kid is actually a bit rubbish!

the FA should be asking themselves where the other six teams are and why they've closed their Academies
    Here's one of them

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-closed-academy-restructured-youth-11320185
  • cafcfan said:

Is there not a big snag with this study?

It tells us nothing about how many youths were at an academy and the success rate as a percentage of that number.

From the parent's point of view, it also tells him nothing. It doesn't inform him on whether the academy only cherry-picked the very best prospects or any old riff-raff for example. It doesn't matter how good the academy and its training regime is if his kid is actually a bit rubbish!

True.

There is also that Charlton have produced a lot of first team players but that first team has played in the third tier (5 seasons) and second tier (3 seasons) for the last 8 seasons.

I still think the academy is doing a good job.

The most significant is that it is top of the Cat B figures.
  • Decent article though, and shows we're basically the top performing academy outside the premier league. That's a huge selling point to parents of any kids we're looking to sign up.

Here's one of them

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-closed-academy-restructured-youth-11320185
    Whats worse is the fact I can understand why these clubs are shutting their Academies and am surprised that Yeovil are on the list of clubs as thought they'd closed down their Academy themselves - Would be a joke if they were forced to... Whilst being understandable it would then limit the number of kids that can be found in the Somerset region who'd be forced to travel to the likes of Bristol / Southampton / Bournemouth / Exeter so their kids stand a good chance of a career.
  • cafcfan said:

Is there not a big snag with this study?

Sorted by total number of players as well rather than giving more credit to those producing higher level players.

I think they teach them to pick the ball up, run, release when tackled and allow a ruck to form.

I think they teach them to pick the ball up, run, release when tackled and allow a ruck to form.
    Explains why their National Football Team have to pick up unwanted English players ;)
  • Sunderland also produced Henderson and colback

Exactly...
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting piece in the Mirror this morning re the Premiership Academy system.

It transpires that Marcus Rashford is the only member of the current England squad who started at a Premier League club, and has never been sold or loaned to another club. Quite an indictment on the Premiership academy system.

Playing at a lower level can be quite an advantage in terms of experience. Leicester defender Harry Maguire had played 160 games by the time he was 20 (whilst on loan to Hull and Wigan). Nick Pope was loaned to six different clubs by Charlton, but is now thankful that he was able to break into men’s football at 16 and play about 150 games to gain experience. Pope reckons that he would never have gained the same benefits in academy football.

The Mirror also pointed out that Vardy and Pope played in non league football and yes Gomez was mentioned with his 'humble' start in football ...

• ... According to this study: https://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit

Pretty good. Above Liverpool, and the most productive of all category 2 academies.

Another interesting point - stoke are 53rd and have a category one academy, what's going wrong there and at other low ranking cat 1 academies like Brighton and Sunderland?

The Man U figures are really impressive it has to be said, in that they produced 17/18 PL players

Bit harsh on Swansea as the study only considers ENGLISH players and thus excludes any Welsh players they produce like Ben Davies and Joe Allen!
  • Interesting piece in the Mirror this morning re the Premiership Academy system.

It transpires that Marcus Rashford is the only member of the current England squad who started at a Premier League club, and has never been sold or loaned to another club. Quite an indictment on the Premiership academy system.

Playing at a lower level can be quite an advantage in terms of experience. Leicester defender Harry Maguire had played 160 games by the time he was 20 (whilst on loan to Hull and Wigan). Nick Pope was loaned to six different clubs by Charlton, but is now thankful that he was able to break into men’s football at 16 and play about 150 games to gain experience. Pope reckons that he would never have gained the same benefits in academy football.

The Mirror also pointed out that Vardy and Pope played in non league football and yes Gomez was mentioned with his 'humble' start in football ...

That's outrageous.
  • Not sure I entirely understand the point of the Mirror article. Most young players get loaned to lower clubs, Scott Parker for example benefited from his spell at Norwich, Beckham had a spell at Preston, Terry had a spell at Forest while Spanish players start off at their "B" clubs
  • No real surprises there at the top. The top five have the first pick on every kid in the country and have huge amounts of players on their books.
    The seventh club is probably a surprise to the rest of the country considering how badly we have performed at senior level. One of my friends boy is at the our academy and despite him being a Palarse,(sorry I meant tosser), speaks well of the setup and staff down at Sparrows Lane. The young lads ambition is to play for us and then transfer to Real Madrid, not Palarse.
  • SLP quoting TS as saying that he knows more than he can say but confident that we can get Cat 1 status.

No time frame mentioned but my guess is that he wouldn't say that unless we've applied already or plan too soon.

Excellent news if true, Cat 1 status would be a huge boost.

And since we've got the architect of EPPP, Ged Roddy, in-house were bound to pass!
    Would be superb … however, I’m sure I had seen some posts recently stating it as very unlikely?
  • stonemuse said:
    SLP quoting TS as saying that he knows more than he can say but confident that we can get Cat 1 status.

No time frame mentioned but my guess is that he wouldn't say that unless we've applied already or plan too soon.

Excellent news if true, Cat 1 status would be a huge boost.

And since we've got the architect of EPPP, Ged Roddy, in-house were bound to pass!
    Would be superb … however, I’m sure I had seen some posts recently stating it as very unlikely?
    WIOTOS
  • Take such comments from the owner with a large pinch of salt.