Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fulham U21 - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Fulham U23's if you don't mind :smile:

U23's what? Or otherwise no apostrophe if you don't mind. :smile:

In any event, according to the EFL's web site - I guess they should know - the only actual relevant rule for the "invited" clubs is: "Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match at least 6 of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced."

So there'd be nothing stopping them playing a hefty smattering of regular experienced first teamers if they wanted. With a load more on the bench. But, of course, they won't. Anyway, a weird rule for a weird competition.
    I guess like the standard Development games; if Fulham have one or two coming back from injury who need game time... they can use this competition to get them back to fitness.
  • Options
    This week comes at an opportune time. Over the next two games players who are on the fringe of the first team will get plenty of game time. Great opportunity for Robinson as well to see if any of the youngsters could make an impact during the rest of the season.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure listening to Karl's interview he said Jacko would be in midfield. He certainly said page would play LB "if ready" if not "we will have to see about left back".

Archie Edwards is out on loan, so is Dijksteel an option with Jo Cummings at CB?
  • Options
    Is the game being streamed live outside UK ?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Can't make this one, but oddly, would really like to. I enjoy watching players getting an opportunity to impress. Don't know how strong Fulham's Under 23s will be, but they'll probably be a fairly decent side.

2-2?
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton, but probably more life in a tramps vest!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Fuck

My girlfriend is out until 10

My work finishes at 6

I live in Charlton

...I'm going to have to go to this, aren't I

Or watch some tv...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Leuth said:

Fuck

My girlfriend is out until 10

My work finishes at 6

I live in Charlton

...I'm going to have to go to this, aren't I

Or watch some tv...
    I heard there might be some paint drying somewhere
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I feel like if I go to this I should at least be let into the press box or get to meet the players as some kind of reward
  • Options
    Well, SOMEONE enjoyed getting beaten at chess
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Fulham U23's if you don't mind :smile:

U23's what? Or otherwise no apostrophe if you don't mind. :smile:

In any event, according to the EFL's web site - I guess they should know - the only actual relevant rule for the "invited" clubs is: "Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match at least 6 of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced."

So there'd be nothing stopping them playing a hefty smattering of regular experienced first teamers if they wanted. With a load more on the bench. But, of course, they won't. Anyway, a weird rule for a weird competition.
    I guess like the standard Development games; if Fulham have one or two coming back from injury who need game time... they can use this competition to get them back to fitness.
    The EFL insist it is referred to U21s, even though clubs' U21 teams simply don't exist anymore since the Professional Development League shifted to U23s last year.
    Half the clubs in the competition are referring to opponents as U23s, the other half U21s and the clubs themselves are also undecided. Eg, Spurs refer to their involvement in the competition as U23s, whereas Fulham refer to themselves as U21s.
    We've been referring to them as U23s up to this point based on the fact that U21 teams are no longer a thing, but got a telling off, so now referring to them as U21s.
    In summary...the competition is a mess.
    Whats the feeling from the Players towards the competition; obviously there is the famous remark that Nicky Ajose made when we went out last year (Saying: "Konsa's just done everyone a favour" when he missed the penalty) - I know that the First-Team are away and wont be involved but do the Youngsters look forward to a chance the prove themselves or do they see it as a distraction too?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I feel like if I go to this I should at least be let into the press box or get to meet the players as some kind of reward

Tell them you are press and you are there to do the CL match thread.
  • Options

Southern Group A
    P W D L GD Pts
    Portsmouth 2 1 1 0 2 4
    Charlton Ath 1 1 0 0 2 3
    Fulham 1 0 1 0 0 2
    Crawley Town 2 0 0 2 -4 0

Now try to contain your excitement but if we beat Fulham U23s in 90 minutes we go through to the next stage. Yes, I know, calm down.

We play Portsmouth next week but then Crawley don't play Fulham until 29 November so the tension could be stretched out all month. And some people slag this competition off when it gives us this much fun.

How have Fulham got two points
  • Options
    I was against u21/23 teams involvement but since we're playing our own young team plus a few senior players that need minutes I see it as a good thing.
  • Options
    Games like these just remind us how far we have fallen that we are now a plaything to help blood the youngsters of even middling clubs like Fulham.

An absolute embarrassment to be involved in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We appear to have short changed ourselves with subs
  • Options
    Page not ready yet?
  • Options

Everyone else is either still on holiday, out on loan or injured. But never mind, we've learned from out mistakes.
  • Options

Southern Group A
    P W D L GD Pts
    Portsmouth 2 1 1 0 2 4
    Charlton Ath 1 1 0 0 2 3
    Fulham 1 0 1 0 0 2
    Crawley Town 2 0 0 2 -4 0

Now try to contain your excitement but if we beat Fulham U23s in 90 minutes we go through to the next stage. Yes, I know, calm down.

We play Portsmouth next week but then Crawley don't play Fulham until 29 November so the tension could be stretched out all month. And some people slag this competition off when it gives us this much fun.

How have Fulham got two points
    They drew with Portsmouth but won the penalty shoot out to give them an extra point.
  • Options

Everyone else is either still on holiday, out on loan or injured. But never mind, we've learned from out mistakes.
    I don't think at any the point the plan should be to build a squad capable of challenging in the Checkatrade trophy. There are a lot of things to whinge at the regime about, how many youngsters we name on the bench for a pointless competition isn't too high on that list.
  • Options
    Ten quid. Decision time