Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fulham U21 - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Pub competition
    At least the fool members Cup was top 2 divs involves this is just embarrassing

And yes i will go to the final and pretend to my sons it means a lot more than how shameful and low we are as a club to be pissing about in this shit

Yes I’m a football snob
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Karl Robinson: I’m fuming with our EFL Trophy display against Fulham – despite the win

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/karl-robinson-im-fuming-with-our-efl-trophy-display-against-fulham-despite-the-win/

I really like Robinson and I hope/believe he'll take us up twice with the right backing....but my god he bloody loves saying 'desire and application' doesn't he?!
    I mean, he really loves it.
  • Options
    The double dream is still alive.

League one champions and EFL trophy champions.
  • Options

If ever there was a good reason why we should get promoted its this competition. Promotion and we won't have to enter it next year.

Unless we enter an u-21 team!
    We have to be a cat A academy to do that and for that to happen we'd have to finish the building work at Sparrows Lane.

So no chance.
  • Options
    Who replaces Kashi against Truro ? Konsa with Nobby in the back 4?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Aribo?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Who replaces big Mag? I assume this weekend will be his extra break that Robbo was promising? Looking at the players scores on here and from what I have seen, Dodoo is not the one.

Will he play Billy Sharp, sign Best and play him, or play Nabby there?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Why does Kashi need replacing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Suspended
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Suspended
    And if he wasn't I'd want to rest him anyway.
  • Options

Pub competition

And yes i will go to the final and pretend to my sons it means a lot more than how shameful and low we are as a club to be pissing about in this shit

Yes I’m a football snob

It’s an opportunity for regular competitive matches where squad players can get some game time in and fringe players can showcase themselves. If we want to win promotion we need these games. And for two teams there’s the trip to Wembley. Anyone who wants to denigrate the worth of the competition is just clueless.
    Plus gives the likes of Reeves and Marshall game time. As long as we don't have to field (m)any first teamers I really don't see the problem with it.
  • Options

Can we get Real Madrid ?

Only if the Carabao cup mob are doing the draw.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Karl Robinson: I’m fuming with our EFL Trophy display against Fulham – despite the win

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/karl-robinson-im-fuming-with-our-efl-trophy-display-against-fulham-despite-the-win/

Sounds like a classic Alex Ferguson type quote after they'd lost to Southend and Coventry in the League Cup all those years ago
  • Options

When's the draw for the next round? Will it be live on the BBC?

Still got Portsmouth to play next Tuesday before the Group Stage finishes... The even better news is the fact that after this stage the rest of the competition is nationalised so we could even end up with a Tuesday night trip to Carlisle!!
  • Options

Pub competition

Yes I’m a football snob

It’s an opportunity for regular competitive matches where squad players can get some game time in and fringe players can showcase themselves. If we want to win promotion we need these games. And for two teams there’s the trip to Wembley. Anyone who wants to denigrate the worth of the competition is just clueless.
    Good for fringe players though only last year clubs were being fined for doing it - it was originally for first teams.

The attendances show you what the fans think. I guess that means there are a lot of clueless fans out there (unless their club gets to Wembley).
  • Options
    Right, am I the only one unsure of the difference between the Caribou Cup, the EFL Cup, The League Cup and the CheckaTrade Trophy? I thought I knew.
    But I don't think I do.
    Is the Caribou Cup the Old League Cup? And was that the Milk Cup?

What a mess.

Thanks god for the FA Cup. If they ever change it's name....
  • Options
    The competition is a convenient half way house testing ground.
    The FA Cup is another thing altogether and we should be aiming to win it.
    Lose to Truro will be unforgivable, and for those who praised Mascoll just signed from Dulwich Hamlet, Truro play in a league one step higher than Dulwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

The competition is a convenient half way house testing ground.
    The FA Cup is another thing altogether and we should be aiming to win it.
    Lose to Truro will be unforgivable, and for those who praised Mascoll just signed from Dulwich Hamlet, Truro play in a league one step higher than Dulwich.

If we put out a group of players for the Truro game who have barely played together before then we will struggle.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Pub competition

Yes I’m a football snob

Good for fringe players though only last year clubs were being fined for doing it - it was originally for first teams.

The attendances show you what the fans think. I guess that means there are a lot of clueless fans out there (unless their club gets to Wembley).
    Not going along to watch the game and rubbishing it from afar are two different things. It’s never going to be a crowd puller but it is what I said it is, an opportunity for regular competitive matches. Midweek matches are not easy to get to or back from for a lot of fans these days so will have limited appeal no matter what the competition is.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Right, am I the only one unsure of the difference between the Caribou Cup, the EFL Cup, The League Cup and the CheckaTrade Trophy? I thought I knew.
    But I don't think I do.

What a mess.

It's all smoke and mirrors James. Off the top of my head the League cup has masqueraded under various sponsors such us Milk. Coca Cola? (now Caribou) for all 4 divisions of FL clubs originally. The EFL Trophy was for old 3rd & 4th division clubs now the Checkatrade completely revamped into round (1) robin leagues and formerly was the straight knock out JPT, I think, clear? :wink:

Edit; the Full Members cup in which we played and lost to 2nd Division Blackburn Rovers at Wembley 1987 (we were top flight) was for the top 2 Divisions whilst we, certainly English anyway, were banned from European competition after Heysel.
  • Options
    I can't take the competition seriously since they chucked in teams from the Championship and the Prem.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

But I don't think I do.

What a mess.

Caribou Cup / EFL Cup / Milk Cup / Coca-Cola Cup / Carling Cup / Worthington Cup thats the League Cup
    CheckaTrade Trophy / Johnstones Paint Trophy thats the Football League Trophy
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with the CheckaTrade Trophy. Really, it's a kind of reserve team cup which gives decent experience to youngsters and is useful for bringing back injured players.

I can't really understand the problem with the low attendance. We (and others) can't even turn out in good numbers for a home FA Cup tie so these games will always be sparsely attended.

If used correctly, it can be a good set of games for the right players. Aribo and Dodoo are hopefully feeling a bit brighter this morning following their late goals.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Scoham said:

Pub competition

Yes I’m a football snob

Not going along to watch the game and rubbishing it from afar are two different things. It’s never going to be a crowd puller but it is what I said it is, an opportunity for regular competitive matches. Midweek matches are not easy to get to or back from for a lot of fans these days so will have limited appeal no matter what the competition is.
    I don't believe the professional football staff are any more in favour of this nonsense than the fans. It's a farce invented by administrators with one eye on sponsorship and another on kowtowing to the PL, with a format that might have been designed to minimise public appeal.

There are plenty of options for more games - two legged League Cup ties were abolished because clubs and fans did not want them, as were reserve leagues, now reincarnated as U23 matches.

Opening The Valley for a crowd of 741 - receipts of maybe £3.5k - with the attendant cost base is financial madness, notwithstanding the prize money.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

'our job was to install a quality that’s unrivalled'

Bloody Hell Karl, it's no wonder the kids didn't perform if team tactics have got this conceptual
  • Options
    Not forgetting the Rumbelows Cup (also League Cup, I believe).