Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

If Heaton didn't get injured Nick Pope would still be a number 2 for Burnley with half a dozen cup games in 2 years behind him but fate decided otherwise. Nick's weakness was the bouncing ball at his body. He must of worked hard at over coming this flaw. He stats are superb. The form of the other keepers are flakey. Good luck Nick, I for one was gutted when he left as felt he could be part of the journey back to the Championship. Bigger things await now. Heaton or Pope Burnley fans ?

At WH the Burnley fans were singing “England’s no1” re Pope. Nuff said.
    They were singing the same song about Heaton before he got injured ! Neither will want to be a number 2 at Burnley. Nick keeps his form, he keeps the jersey.
  • Options
    Think Ben Roberts deserves a lot of praise for how far Nick has come....
  • Options
    PeteF said:

You've seen that vid too then?
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

PeteF said:

You've seen that vid too then?
    No, what video? just saw the amount of work and faith he put into Nick.
  • Options
    I remember after signing him reading on here that he was the best goal keeper in the non-league. I always thought he would be a good championship keeper, but never in a million years would I think he would make an England squad and deservely start in goal.

I hope he gets a run out in Amsterdam (I’m going) or Italy. If he carries on this form to the end of the season, he rightfully deserves his place in the squad.!
  • Options
    PeteF said:

And Lee Turner
  • Options
    Brilliant! Well done Nick.
  • Options
    I’d give him the full match in one of the games this month and see how he does. With us I felt his main problem was actually holding onto the ball when a shot bounced just in front of him. He quite often parried it straight back out in front of him, into a dangerous area, but he seems to have stopped doing it since his move to Burnley.

A well deserved call up imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    reserves said:

Congrats Nick Pope for your call up!

And some said he wasn't good enough for Charlton....

I’m as pleased as any Charlton fan for Pope and wish him the best, but I don’t understand why there are so many comments like this.

He wasn’t good enough for Charlton. That fact doesn’t suddenly change just because 3 years later he gets an England call up. The season before he went to Burnley his kicking was poor, he regularly dropped crosses and I (and many others) lost count of the number of shots he spilt which resulted in goals. It got to the point where the opposition were blatantly targeting him from free kicks and long shots and gambling on the fact he wouldn’t hold onto it. I know he worked on this at Charlton training and presumably worked even harder at Burnley to stop the spilling and with that ironed out he’s now a solid keeper.

So again, credit to him and everyone around him who made it possible, but let’s not rewrite history and pretend he was anywhere near Premier League (let alone England) standard when he left us.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

reserves said:

I’m as pleased as any Charlton fan for Pope and wish him the best, but I don’t understand why there are so many comments like this.

He wasn’t good enough for Charlton. That fact doesn’t suddenly change just because 3 years later he gets an England call up. The season before he went to Burnley his kicking was poor, he regularly dropped crosses and I (and many others) lost count of the number of shots he spilt which resulted in goals. It got to the point where the opposition were blatantly targeting him from free kicks and long shots and gambling on the fact he wouldn’t hold onto it. I know he worked on this at Charlton training and presumably worked even harder at Burnley to stop the spilling and with that ironed out he’s now a solid keeper.

So again, credit to him and everyone around him who made it possible, but let’s not rewrite history and pretend he was anywhere near Premier League (let alone England) standard when he left us.
    He was a good keeper when he left us and did well when out on loan. He looked nervous playing for us at times and this wasn't helped by the attitude of some of our knobhead supporters.

The biggest weakness in his games was spilling the odd low shot and he's obviously worked on this. Deserves a lot of credit for the hard work he's put in. Doing better than anyone here expected.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

reserves said:

He was a good keeper when he left us and did well when out on loan. He looked nervous playing for us at times and this wasn't helped by the attitude of some of our knobhead supporters.

The biggest weakness in his games was spilling the odd low shot and he's obviously worked on this. Deserves a lot of credit for the hard work he's put in. Doing better than anyone here expected.
    He's at a really comfortble environment at the moment. A great manager and team spirit, a solid defence and supportive fans who can't believe they are a top 10 PL side chasing Arsenal. The sort of environment where players know they won't be crucified by the fans for any mistakes

Most of his rivals are playing under much more pressure. Imagine playing for West Ham, knowing that one mistake could lead to another pitch invasion!
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

reserves said:

He's at a really comfortble environment at the moment. A great manager and team spirit, a solid defence and supportive fans who can't believe they are a top 10 PL side chasing Arsenal. The sort of environment where players know they won't be crucified by the fans for any mistakes

Most of his rivals are playing under much more pressure. Imagine playing for West Ham, knowing that one mistake could lead to another pitch invasion!
    He was used to the chaos at Charlton.
  • Options
    not sure if its been mentioned anywhere but do we get any further payments due to an England cap ??? we all know KM was a master at transfer negotiations......
  • Options
    I didn’t go to many games in the back end of the relegation season, but I thought that he massively improved for the last 15 or so matches.
  • Options
    To those saying 'the player some said wasn't good enough for charlton'

He wasn't good enough when with us, he went on and progressed beyond what anyone here expected. I doubt anyone who says they knew he'd get an England Senior Cap... Which he hasn't got yet btw...

He does deserve to be there though. Fantastic step up by Pope.
  • Options

Good luck Nick. And a big slice of pie for me.

And me!
  • Options
    So happy for him. Always nice to know we have seen Premier League stars of the future at The Valley
  • Options
    So many stats show off his performances this season. Highest save percentage etc but most impressive imo he hasn’t made a single mistake that has led to a goal this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The #MadeInCharlton is pushing it though.

That hashtag is really something to be proud of. Our academy and the great things so many of our graduates go on to achieve. The youth set up is a real gem in both our clubs history and it’s future.

Pope wasn’t “made in Charlton” though, not really. Kind of feel it cheapens the meaning of the phrase if we just start using it for players we sign and then sell on.

Only my opinion of course. Not taking anything away from the academy or Pope.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I would love to see all the people on this forum and others I have read on other forums who said Pope was useless and should be got rid of, stand up and apologise on their forums. I never saw as much of Pope as some of you but what I saw I thought he could do well with experience, something other fans were not ready to give him. WELL DONE NICK AND MAY YOUR CAREER KEEP UP AT THE TOP

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling.

I'm sorry Nick.
  • Options
    I agree with Tim Howard’s assessment on goalkeeping.

‘The amount of games it takes to get to the highest level is a lot more. Why does a goalkeeper mature at age 30 when you have a striker who plays for Inter Milan at age 22? Goalkeepers need more games under their belt to be top-level than the average field player’.

The trouble is of course that a smaller club have to decide on the risks of playing a young goalkeeper. You may know full well the potential of what you have, but can you afford the required learning curve to take place between your sticks?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

reserves said:

He was good enough for Charlton and no he wasnt poor that season... Instead he had poor moments

There were times when he was the reason we won games rather than the Strikers i.e. that Leeds game, its the same as Butland this season... Goalkeepers look poor when they're down the bottom yet if your Defence dont help you out your going to concede

As for his kicking how can we moan about him when one of our best ever 'keepers (Kiely) was awful at it, didnt stop him becoming a brilliant one though!!

As previously mentioned de Gea was slated in the press after his first season for the mistakes he made and look how he turned out... Pope appears to be doing similar
  • Options
    Charlton Goalkeeper syndrome? We have had some good ones recently but the odd fans do get on their back, even Amos has been getting stick all season when he has been pretty much solid. You expect the odd mistakes from keepers its part of the parcel, even the hottest young keeper on the planet last night made a howler against Arsenal, easy save but went across to much and it spun in the net.

At Charlton i remember people saying he had potential, yep there were a few groans but just normal scapegoat from the fans. Still didn't expect him to do so well, congrats Pope will always route for the majority of ex charlton.

Should get a game or 2 in the friendlies and see how he copes on the biggest stage, personally i feel its a tad bit early but the no1 spot is there to be won.
  • Options
    If a goalkeeper is young and playing for Charlton then invariably a section of our support will say he's too young and be watching out for every mistake he makes - they'll invariably cut an older keeper more slack.

Pope did well when out on loan from Charlton but appeared nervous at times when he came back which wasn't helped by the attitude of some of our supporters. He improved during his time as our No 1 and the only obvious weakness was with low shots which he seems to have worked on.

He was a definitely a good keeper when with us and find it bizarre how much criticism some of our fans gave him - who were they watching? He seems to have worked hard on his game since leaving us and improved whilst playing at the top level.

His journey from non-league at Bury Town after being released by Ipswich to being called up to England is pretty impressive.

• Options
    Sean Dyche has a big decision to make at the end of the season, because he will not be able to keep both Heaton & Pope. Especially, if Burnley reach the Europa league. I cant imagine either of them will be happy playing back up goal keeper for the next season.
  • Options

Sean Dyche has a big decision to make at the end of the season, because he will not be able to keep both Heaton & Pope. Especially, if Burnley reach the Europa league. I cant imagine either of them will be happy playing back up goal keeper for the next season.

If Heaton gets fit I think Nick will leave - should be in demand.
  • Options

If Heaton gets fit I think Nick will leave - should be in demand.
    Liverpool are apparently after Butland from Stoke.

IF Stoke stay up I could see them moving for Pope. Or would Liverpool move for Pope in a wildcard move?
  • Options
    Can see him riding this season to a decent team, where he will be protected a bit more and thus shine even more. I could certainly see someone in the big 6 sides picking him up. Probably not United unless De Gea finally actually leaves as has been hinted in several windows...