Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

Comments

• Options
    It's about taking your chance.

If Tom Heaton hadn't been injured, Pope would have gathered splinters on the bench, with the odd cup game, and instead it would most likely have been Tom Heaton in the England squad. Indeed with his previous England experience, he could have been first choice.
  • Options
    Good for him

It takes a huge bad move to make me turn against one of our own players and I always wanted Nick Pope to do well for us, it's not his fault he wasn't Ben Hamer and I didn't think had make the step up in really pleased for him he has and has grabbed his chance with both hands
  • Options

So hands up anyone who predicted Nick would be an England Keeper of the future during his time at Charlton? No one? Of course not. I certainly didn't.

Did he make mistakes? Yes.

Was he unfairly treated by some sections of our fans including on here? Yes I think he was. I can remember arguing that he had the makings of a decent keeper and being told that he would never make it in a million years.

It shows that confidence built on belief in you by the Manager is so important. What did Burnley's coaching staff see in Nick that many fans here could not see? I always thought his height would help him. He is a little rangy but that makes him likely to be more agile IMHO.

He has seized his chance with Heaton's injury and shown the promise that I personally saw in him and truly taken a massive leap forward.

He is 3rd choice but I don't think he's far off 1st to be honest.

I slated him, I already ate my humble pie when he solidified his place at Burnley.

Couldn't be more pleased for him.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    My opinion was that he was always going to be a decent lower Prem / upper Champ keeper. I thought in time he might be able to push for selection with a run of form (like Carson, Foster, Forster, Heaton before him) but never thought he'd be in the World Cup squad so soon.

Well done to him.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Carter said:

Good for him

It takes a huge bad move to make me turn against one of our own players and I always wanted Nick Pope to do well for us, it's not his fault he wasn't Ben Hamer and I didn't think had make the step up in really pleased for him he has and has grabbed his chance with both hands

And how much farther AHEAD of Hamer (in terms of recognition) is he now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So that’s what Roland is waiting for
  • Options
    WSS said:

It really wouldn’t surprise me

• Options
    WSS said:

Makes more sense than “he’s waiting for the season ticket money” or “he’s waiting to find out what division we’ll be in”.
  • Options
    So £2.8m sell on if he goes for £15m?

Cannot see that as a massive hold up in the sale.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Depends on where that money goes, to Roland?
  • Options
    i actually wouldnt be surprised if its the multiple sell on clauses on all the players that have come through the doors that RD is trying to get to inflate the price of CAFC.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

You can buy a hell of a lot of duct tape with £2.8M.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

He sold Konsa for less.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Yeah but Katrien negotiated it so that we would owe them the 20%.
  • Options
    Think 15m is way too low for a keeper who’s had such a good season in the prem. I reckon you’d be looking At £30m maybe more tbh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Went off injured after 14 minutes against Aberdeen. Suspected dislocated shoulder.

• Options

Went off injured after 14 minutes against Aberdeen. Suspected dislocated shoulder.

Things move in mysterious ways for keepers. Heaton gets injured, Pope takes his place AND his England WC spot

Pope goes off injured, but Heaton isn't on the bench as he has a calf injury...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

• Options
    I know he's only a Goalkeeper and didnt play yet Nick Pope must be the first England player back playing for his club side let alone training with them after the World Cup?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

“Pope's injury, coupled with Tom Heaton's calf problem, leaves Burnley with only two fit senior goalkeepers.”

Only two fit senior goalkeepers. I’d be happy if we had two senior goalkeepers, fit or not.
    Was just about to post that myself
  • Options

Things move in mysterious ways for keepers. Heaton gets injured, Pope takes his place AND his England WC spot

... Burnley sign Dillon Phillips.
    @DaveStorry to debut v Sunderland ;)
  • Options

... Burnley sign Dillon Phillips.
    SSSSHHHHHHH or you will get some believing it and instead of calling him useless will say we have sold one of our best players :smiley: