Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Italy v Sweden

Comments

• Croatia are pushed into pot 2 with England. Means we can no longer draw Croatia in our group.
  • edited November 2017
    Didnt Italy make it ? - oh, what a shame.
    The World Cup will be better off without them, wont have to put up the diving,cheating,moaning to the ref, and above all, Chiari or Chianti or whatever his name is, hacking everyone down in sight and then waving to god as if hes not the perpetrator.
    Lovin it.
  • edited November 2017

First international match I have watched ALL THE WAY THROUGH for about 2 years. Really enjoyed it apart from the result. Such a contrast to the turgid shit England play.

Does that make it easier to read?

Ok, so you stop watching when the game is won early on or there is no point watching on anymore because its turgid shit.
  • well that was a disgraceful performance. nearly as bad as England v Iceland. tactics were terrible. some of those players really believe they are better than they actually are. bunch of cocky failures. playing over complicated passes and cross field balls instead of actually creating chances. the stats make it sound the azzurri were all over them but in actual fact Sweden (a down right naff team) never looked that threatened. forza my arse.
  • 1StevieG said:

First international match I have watched all the way through for about 2 years. Really enjoyed it apart from the result. Such a contrast to the turgid shit England play.

The turgid shit that got us into another World Cup finals. Without losing a game. Again.
    Pardon me.....yes, they are obviously one of the most entertaining football teams to play the game over the last two years. If they had been in the same group as Spain they would have still gone through with ease.
    have to say that Italy were far from entertaining but I agree if we had spain in our group we would also been in a qualifying knockout game and who knows how we would of got on.
  • 1StevieG said:

First international match I have watched all the way through for about 2 years. Really enjoyed it apart from the result. Such a contrast to the turgid shit England play.

The turgid shit that got us into another World Cup finals. Without losing a game. Again.
    Pardon me.....yes, they are obviously one of the most entertaining football teams to play the game over the last two years. If they had been in the same group as Spain they would have still gone through with ease.
    have to say that Italy were far from entertaining but I agree if we had spain in our group we would also been in a qualifying knockout game and who knows how we would of got on.
    But we didnt and Italy did. Bye bye.
  • 1StevieG said:

First international match I have watched ALL THE WAY THROUGH for about 2 years. Really enjoyed it apart from the result. Such a contrast to the turgid shit England play.

Ok, so you stop watching when the game is won early on or there is no point watching on anymore because its turgid shit.
    I often give up watching England games. I either turn it over or dip in and out. I don't even bother reading more than a page of the endless posts on here about how bad England are that seems to happen whenever England are playing. Or am I imagining all that? Everyone one on here thought England played great during the qualifying group! I must be living in a parallel universe.
  • edited November 2017

1StevieG said:

I often give up watching England games. I either turn it over or dip in and out. I don't even bother reading more than a page of the endless posts on here about how bad England are that seems to happen whenever England are playing. Or am I imagining all that? Everyone one on here thought England played great during the qualifying group! I must be living in a parallel universe.
    To use that well worn cliche, you can only beat what’s in front of you and the thing with football nowadays is the lesser well known national teams are getting better/harder to break down and no one gets a spanking regularly or one team regularly dominates another. Watching that tonight was similar to watching the England Iceland game or the Swiss/Northern Ireland game the other night. I really wanted the Italians to go through tonight because I would Have loved to have got the chance to play them in another competitive match because they always seem to get one over us the same way Millwall do!
  • Let's not pretend we wouldn't suffer the same fate in the last few qualifying groups, if it were not for the fact we constantly get the easiest group going.

Cynics might say the lucrative UK TV market plays a part in this.

North America may need an extra place after this years qualifying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's not pretend we wouldn't suffer the same fate in the last few qualifying groups, if it were not for the fact we constantly get the easiest group going.

Fuck me, it it wasnt the case that we would be moaning that we get the toughest qualifying group going, you're now moaning we've got the easiest. !
    the next thing you are going to tell me is that Lewis Hamilton is a shit driver and only wins because he's got the best car !!
  • 1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

The thing with football nowadays is the lesser well known teams are getting better/harder to break down and no one gets a spanking regularly or one team regularly dominates another. Watching that tonight was similar to watching the England Iceland game or the Swiss/Northern Ireland game the other night.
    One of the things that show that is Luxembourgs record recently.
    Wins against Belarus and Hungary and draw against France away show that the smaller teams are now bridging the gap, and that no game is really easy.
  • Not moaning at all, just stating the facts. Look at the last few groups we've had, compared to what we could have got.

I'm happy, but I've watched enough dross to not be niave enough to think we would have got anything other than embarrassed, had we ended up in slightly harder groups.
  • Not moaning at all, just stating the facts. Look at the last few groups we've had, compared to what we could have got.

I'm happy, but I've watched enough dross to not be niave enough to think we would have got anything other than embarrassed, had we ended up in slightly harder groups.

Its a load of bollox - we've had our share of tough groups in the past - the easier they are the better.
  • edited November 2017
    Its only England fans that would moan about having an easier qualifying group.
  • 1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

To use that well worn cliche, you can only beat what’s in front of you and the thing with football nowadays is the lesser well known national teams are getting better/harder to break down and no one gets a spanking regularly or one team regularly dominates another. Watching that tonight was similar to watching the England Iceland game or the Swiss/Northern Ireland game the other night. I really wanted the Italians to go through tonight because I would Have loved to have got the chance to play them in another competitive match because they always seem to get one over us the same way Millwall do!
    Sweden have a poor recent record, but have been regular qualifiers for tournaments, runners up in 1958, and 3rd as recently as 1994.

And this time in qualifying, they came 2nd in a group with France and Holland, so had a tough group themselves
  • I don't think anyone has moaned about it. Purely saying we would endure the same fate Italy have, had we been in a similar group.

The last time we had a big nation in our group was 00/01 with Ze Germans.
    You could argue 07/08 was tricky with Croatia, Russia and Israel and we didn't qualify. Since then it's been an boring piece of piss on the whole, which does nothing for our chances when we meet decent nations at tournament time.
  • edited November 2017
    England's qualifying groups from 2000 onwards.

• edited November 2017

The World Cup will be better off without them, wont have to put up the diving,cheating,moaning to the ref, and above all, Chiari or Chianti or whatever his name is, hacking everyone down in sight and then waving to god as if hes not the perpetrator.
    Lovin it.

Stereotype much? This comment reads as one of The Sun's "football experts", pretty sure England are just as bad as the Italians with regards to all of that, plus pretty much every top nation in modern football.

As for Italy not making it the blame lies at both the federation for choosing Ventura, a coach who's only honour is winning Serie C with Lecce in 1996 and the coach himself for not being up to scratch and tactically stubborn. Conte had the same crop of players and you could see at the last Euros how much he was able to get out of them.
  • Gutted. We were planning a WC watching holiday in Italy next June. No idea where the F we will go now!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017

Lovin it.

Stereotype much? This comment reads as one of The Sun's "football experts", pretty sure England are just as bad as the Italians with regards to all of that, plus pretty much every top nation in modern football.

As for Italy not making it the blame lies at both the federation for choosing Ventura, a coach who's only honour is winning Serie C with Lecce in 1996 and the coach himself for not being up to scratch and tactically stubborn. Conte had the same crop of players and you could see at the last Euros how much he was able to get out of them.
    Conte had a worse set of players. The current squad is actually a very strong group but that Ventura chap has been a disaster since the moment he was appointed. Had they got through that match I wouldn’t have put it past them to make the final in Russia with a different manager.

There’s a video going round of De Rossi having a go at the coaches as they ask him to go on the pitch saying ‘we need a f***ing win not a draw’ and pointing at Insigne for him to go on. It’s crazy how Insigne, one of the most in form players in the world right now was left out of both legs.

A lot of behind the scenes issues I believe.

There is lot of young talent coming through in Serie A so I’m sure they’ll be back.

Genuinely gutted that there’ll be no Italy and Holland at the World Cup. Two teams I have always enjoyed watching in the best tournament. Had Brazil/Argentina/Germany not qualified I think I would have cried. Shame as it’ll be a far weaker tournament although a bigger chance for us to go further into it!! But for me the World Cup needs the best teams in it and you can say that they need to earn it but a play off can go either way and you will miss out on big teams.
  • I think Ventura is ace.
  • Can't say I have any sympathy for the Italian fans who brazenly boo the national anthems of opposition teams among other behaviour.
  • Gutted. We were planning a WC watching holiday in Italy next June. No idea where the F we will go now!

Try Croatia instead
  • The point is that Italy are looking a very average team. They are not always great but until now are always very tough to beat. In the long run this failure will probably do them good. A period of introspection is what they need.

It’s a pity in many respects that one of the glamour nations are not going to be at the finals but it is what it is.

As for England. Really hard to find words to describe how mind numbingly boring they are to watch. No doubt tabloids will have us as favourites come the big day.
  • International football zzzzzzzzzz
  • If you are top seed in your group, there should only be one hard game & that’s away to the 2nd seeded team. Is seeding any good for top seeds? The group games are easy and when it comes to the crunch, they struggle with a team on par with them.
  • Didnt Italy make it ? - oh, what a shame.
    Lovin it.

As for Italy not making it the blame lies at both the federation for choosing Ventura, a coach who's only honour .