Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Italy v Sweden

124»

Comments

• Options

The swedes ain't getting anything out of this ref

I knew that comment would come back to haunt me, just not so soon after posting it.
    That assault on the Italian was a definite penalty
  • Options

Gutted. We were planning a WC watching holiday in Italy next June. No idea where the F we will go now!

Hello... is it me you are looking for? :wink:

Got a few mates with nice apartments H. Come and see us!
  • Options
    Italy have half the Juventus defence plus Bonucci (who spent years playing with them), Verratti, Candreva, Insigne, Belotti, Immobile. So many good players, so it's a huge surprise they're not going to Russia. It has to be a case of them being poorly managed because the players are good enough.
  • Options

Italy have half the Juventus defence plus Bonucci (who spent years playing with them), Verratti, Candreva, Insigne, Belotti, Immobile. So many good players, so it's a huge surprise they're not going to Russia. It has to be a case of them being poorly managed because the players are good enough.

His legs have gone
  • Options
    edited November 2017

The point is that Italy are looking a very average team. They are not always great but until now are always very tough to beat. In the long run this failure will probably do them good. A period of introspection is what they need.

It’s a pity in many respects that one of the glamour nations are not going to be at the finals but it is what it is.

As for England. Really hard to find words to describe how mind numbingly boring they are to watch. No doubt tabloids will have us as favourites come the big day.

I think those days are long gone. No doubt they will get behind England but most people realise our limitations and just like the last Euros it won’t be as hyped up as previous finals.
  • Options
    Overall, I am happy that Italy did not qualify for the world cup because of all my Swedish mates.

However, slightly gutted that Buffon has retired. Especially, because England are playing Italy in a friendly match, in March.
  • Options
    the only downside is buffon as hes a legend in my opinion and would of attended the wembley game with an Italian mate mainly to see him.
  • Options
    personally i couldnt see england topping a group consisting of spain, albania,israel,macedonia and lichenstein.
  • Options

I watched a very entertaining England v Germany 0-0, and an equally exciting Switzerland v NI 0-0 this weekend. I suggest some of you lay aside your prejudices, (including the "Italy-can-do-no-wrong" brigade), and actually watch whole games, not, bits, or the first ten minutes.

I cannot believe that Charlton fans are so bleeding fickle - it's not like we are served up 90 minutes of scintillating action week in week out.

I also get the impression that some of you would rather Italy qualified than England. It doesn't make you look like a football purist, it makes you look like a dick. (Especially when you remember some of the negative tactics Italy have adopted over many, many years).

Rant over...

Didn't see the England game. Saw quite a bit of the Switzerland v NI game (a lot more than I watched of the first leg which was complete dross) and whilst it was exciting, especially the last 20 mins, both teams were very very poor. If Italy had qualified last night you just know there was a chance they would have found a way to get to the later stages in Russia.

I have watched enough football over the years to know when a game is shit and is not going to get any better. Especially the games in England's invariably lopsided qualifying groups over the last 15 years. Your recommendation I should watch whole games, even if they are shit, doesn't make you look like a football purist. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

The point is that Italy are looking a very average team. They are not always great but until now are always very tough to beat. In the long run this failure will probably do them good. A period of introspection is what they need.

It’s a pity in many respects that one of the glamour nations are not going to be at the finals but it is what it is.

As for England. Really hard to find words to describe how mind numbingly boring they are to watch. No doubt tabloids will have us as favourites come the big day.

I think those days are long gone. No doubt they will get behind England but most people realise our limitations and just like the last Euros it won’t be as hyped up as previous finals.
    Bookmakers currently have us seventh in the betting behind Germany, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, France and Belgium - seems about right to me and I expect us to get to the quarter-finals.
  • Options
    Another international thread turns into predictable England bashing.
  • Options
    off thread but that England performance against Germany on Friday i was proud of, ill always slag em off just as much as i call charlton a useless bunch of c***s when we lose a match deep down i don't mean it though, just a spur of the moment sort of thing, ill always support whos in the 3 lions shirt, i dont like joe hart and i think he gets picked unfairly, when there are other keepers that should be given a go, but apart from that if we try weve achieved our target were off to russia and italy and more importantly scotland and wales arent :wink:
  • Options
    like a bad relationship, i don't understand people who are defending England? over 50 years of hope turned into despair each tournament. last several years of dross performances. the only way to cope is to believe we haven't got a chance just to save ourselves from being hurt once again.
  • Options

like a bad relationship, i don't understand people who are defending England? over 50 years of hope turned into despair each tournament. last several years of dross performances. the only way to cope is to believe we haven't got a chance just to save ourselves from being hurt once again.

If you read the England Germany thread from Friday you'd see that the people that actually bother to watch the games, are critical and praising. Pretty much 99% of the England fan base view our chances as you describe. It's not so much a defence of England it's the growing tired of the constant bashing from people who don't watch and don't see the good and bad in each performance.
  • Options
    Not just Buffon, Barzagli , de Rossi and probably Chiellini will also bow out too

While it will seem strange to not have Italy at a WC, they're hardly the top side in the world at the moment, and have none of the really top attacking players that the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Belgium, Portgual etc have
  • Options

Not just Buffon, Barzagli , de Rossi and probably Chiellini will also bow out too

While it will seem strange to not have Italy at a WC, they're hardly the top side in the world at the moment, and have none of the really top attacking players that the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Belgium, Portgual etc have

In Portugal's case, shouldn't that be player? :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2017

like a bad relationship, i don't understand people who are defending Charlton? over 70 years of hope turned into despair each tournament. last several years of dross performances. the only way to cope is to believe we haven't got a chance just to save ourselves from being hurt once again.

Alternative view?

• Options

like a bad relationship, i don't understand people who are defending Charlton? over 70 years of hope turned into despair each tournament. last several years of dross performances. the only way to cope is to believe we haven't got a chance just to save ourselves from being hurt once again.

Alternative view?

its the one I hold.... though for my sins i cant help but get a bit excited for our chances in the cheakatrade tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jorginho, De Rossi, El Sharaawy, Florenzi, Rugani, Romagnoli, Bernardeschi... not to mention Giovinco and Balotelli who didn't even get a call up.

They have the players but that manager was the worst appointment they could have made.
  • Options
    Bye Italy - Ciao Bella.
    Back to the spaghetti trough.
  • Options

Back to the spaghetti trough

Really?

Did an Italian screw your dad or something??

It's a shame that Italy didn't make it, I have no fall back plan for when England go out now.