Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Da Vinci Painting Obliterates Auction Record, Sells for $450.3 Million.

13»

Comments

• Options

shine166 said:

The buyer in question must be so proud to have secured this painting for $450m. To be able to stare lovingly each evening at this inanimate object and show it off to one's friends must be so so satisfying.

Much more rewarding than funding chemotherapy treatment for a few thousand people and seeing the hope and joy that this might ultimately bring to those cancer sufferers and their families.

Come on, as if the money in football couldnt be better spent curing cancer... its really not the point though is it. Next time you decorate your gaff, I hope you donate it to a hospice instead on blowing it all on wall paper
    Where did I say that the money in football isn't obscene? Because it is. And $450m for one object is beyond obscene in if my opinion. But if people get satisfaction, having paid that sort of money, staring at an object then good luck to them

We can all do more to help others. But some can do a lot more than others. And choose not to.
    How do you know what they choose to do ?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

That’s obscene and offensive, tells you exactly what’s wrong with our society!

This is where i'm at Sillav, if someone has close to half a billion to spend on a picture then the spread of wealth is obscene.
    The thing is, no-one "spends" half a billion on a painting.

It's an investment. A gamble that the amount they're shelling out to own it is less than they can get by owning it and by selling it.

And they certainly won t be writing a cheque for the full amount right now.

First, they'll arrange to pay for it over a number of years. Second, part of the funding will come at ridiculously attractive rates from the auction house that sells it (they're in a desperately hard-fought market too: they all compete to be the auction house that sells the most expensive paintings...)

They'll have a huge cost of ownership too, in terms of maintenance, shipping and insurance.

But, they'll make money while they own it, by "loaning" it - for substantial fees - to galleries around the world. They, in turn, will recoup their costs by charging punters to look at it.

Put it in a gallery in London and a million people might pay £20 each to see it over three months. Find a sponsor to attach their name to it for another million. £21m recouped in London. Do it again in Paris, Rome, Madrid, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Dublin, Amsterdam, Prague, Porto and it's covered half its cost, in Europe. Do the same in North America, the Middle East, the Far East... get Moscow to compete with Beijing and Shanghai to show it... it quickly starts to make money.

And each loan will come with conditions attached, including that the gallery pays for maintenance, shipping and insurance.

Who makes money out of the maintenance of paintings? Galleries And auction houses usually.

Who makes money out of shipping? Multi-national corporations pushing commodities around the world.

Who makes money out of insurance? Insurance companies and brokers.

So, put together a consortium made up of a gallery, a multi national, an insurance company and an auction house and it very quickly stops being a "cost" and turns into a money-spinning enterprise.

Four hundred million quid is a lot of money for a picture to hang on the wall and look at. But, to the right consortium, it's a drop in the ocean compared to how much income it can generate for itself.

They won't lose money on this, whoever it is that's bought it.

Exactly ! Hirst purchased his own diamond skull for 50m a few years ago, next things its at the tate and youre charged £20 to look at it for 10 seconds (part of his big retrospective admitedly). 1 gallery in 1 city.... then and the tees, tat, prints, posters etc and whore it around the world for a decade and its paid for its self many times over.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

This is where i'm at Sillav, if someone has close to half a billion to spend on a picture then the spread of wealth is obscene.

It's an investment. A gamble that the amount they're shelling out to own it is less than they can get by owning it and by selling it.

First, they'll arrange to pay for it over a number of years. Second, part of the funding will come at ridiculously attractive rates from the auction house that sells it (they're in a desperately hard-fought market too: they all compete to be the auction house that sells the most expensive paintings...)

They'll have a huge cost of ownership too, in terms of maintenance, shipping and insurance.

But, they'll make money while they own it, by "loaning" it - for substantial fees - to galleries around the world. They, in turn, will recoup their costs by charging punters to look at it.

Put it in a gallery in London and a million people might pay £20 each to see it over three months. Find a sponsor to attach their name to it for another million. £21m recouped in London. Do it again in Paris, Rome, Madrid, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Dublin, Amsterdam, Prague, Porto and it's covered half its cost, in Europe. Do the same in North America, the Middle East, the Far East... get Moscow to compete with Beijing and Shanghai to show it... it quickly starts to make money.

And each loan will come with conditions attached, including that the gallery pays for maintenance, shipping and insurance.

Who makes money out of the maintenance of paintings? Galleries And auction houses usually.

Who makes money out of shipping? Multi-national corporations pushing commodities around the world.

So, put together a consortium made up of a gallery, a multi national, an insurance company and an auction house and it very quickly stops being a "cost" and turns into a money-spinning enterprise.

Four hundred million quid is a lot of money for a picture to hang on the wall and look at. But, to the right consortium, it's a drop in the ocean compared to how much income it can generate for itself.

Source?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Source?
    What do you mean "source"? I've simply posited a suggestion as to how the purchase can be seen as a lucrative investment. I haven't claimed that's what will happen, just that it could.

But, if you insist, source: me.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Source?
    What do you mean "source"? I've simply posited a suggestion as to how the purchase can be seen as a lucrative investment. I haven't claimed that's what will happen, just that it could.

So you made it all up then.....?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Source?

So you made it all up then.....?
    I don't really understand what you're getting at. I posted my suggestion as to how a large investment could be justified and how a return could be made. I don't know who bought it (as I suggested in the last line) and I don't know what the buyer will do. I have merely set out a range of options.

(Of course, if I did have any inside knowledge, I wouldn't let on).
  • Options
    Cheap at half the price , might get one myself.
  • Options
    Crazy money for a possible Fake painting that is shop soiled and has had various features altered. Beard has been shaven off.

Lenny da Vinci code was only a part time painter, his main job was as a mathematician, Sculpting, Architecture and running the Hot dog stall at the San Siro on Match days.

Some famous Leonado Quotes:

"Art is never finished only abandoned"
    "Learning never exhausts the mind "
    "The human foot is a Masterpiece of engineering and a work of art"
    "If you can't beat the first defender from a corner you will never Score"

Arrivederci LDV.
  • Options
    Salvator Mundi sounds like he should be playing on the wing for Argentina.
  • Options
    Or the main character in Goal!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

The buyer in question must be so proud to have secured this painting for $450m. To be able to stare lovingly each evening at this inanimate object and show it off to one's friends must be so so satisfying.

Much more rewarding than funding chemotherapy treatment for a few thousand people and seeing the hope and joy that this might ultimately bring to those cancer sufferers and their families.

Come on, as if the money in football couldnt be better spent curing cancer... its really not the point though is it. Next time you decorate your gaff, I hope you donate it to a hospice instead on blowing it all on wall paper
    Where did I say that the money in football isn't obscene? Because it is. And $450m for one object is beyond obscene in if my opinion. But if people get satisfaction, having paid that sort of money, staring at an object then good luck to them

We can all do more to help others. But some can do a lot more than others. And choose not to.
    How do you know what they choose to do ?
    I don't but I do know that, even if they do, they could do so much more with $450m. And it is not difficult to shelter ill gotten gains by buying such an item - pay for it with drug money and then loan it out to bring in legitimate funds.

Robert Maxwell could afford to buy lavish things. But then when you asset strip companies and rob employees of £400m from their pension funds you can afford to buy whatever you like. Even a Da Vinci.
  • Options

Christies will get around 25% from the new owner and around 10%-15% from the vendor. Not a bad days work.

Is the buyer's fee on top of bid or included in it?
    On top mate.

Christies will get around 25% from the new owner and around 10%-15% from the vendor. Not a bad days work.

Do they have an off shore account?
    The owner of Christies is Francois Pinault, who also own Gucci, YSL and a few other fashion companies, so I'm sure he's clever with his money!
    And he has a son married to Salma Hayek ...