Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ref went home on the MK Dons coach!!! (Ed, false)

2»

Comments

• Options

Wyn is well respected and I'd be surprised he would report it in his blog if not true

He's updated it, it was a joke.

http://addicksdiary3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/we-were-robbed.html

But at the end of the day Charlton have fallen back from 3rd to 5th. The Northamptonshire referee meanwhile got his lift back to Milton Keynes on the Dons team coach from where his wife could pick him up. (Given some misunderstandings, I need to clarify that this was a joke. But he might as well have done given his performance. I don't think referees should be chosen from locations near one of the teams playing).
  • Options
    But at the end of the day Charlton have fallen back from 3rd to 5th. The Northamptonshire referee meanwhile got his lift back to Milton Keynes on the Dons team coach from where his wife could pick him up. (Given some misunderstandings, I need to clarify that this was a joke. But he might as well have done given his performance. I don't think referees should be chosen from locations near one of the teams playing).
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Wyn is well respected and I'd be surprised he would report it in his blog if not true

As I said some people will believe anything they read on the internet.

So obviously not the case and yet people getting their knickers in a twist and calling for action to be taken etc etc etc.

He gave them a dodgy pen, we should have been out of sight by then but weren't. Get over it, there is not a conspiracy against Charlton by refs or the FA/EFL
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Seriously? One of the match officials saving money and time by travelling on the same bus as players, management, medical team and kit staff is upsetting people?

Why would a complaint need to be made? And to whom?

Its the mindset that could be put in the Ref's head though

"Best not upset the MK Dons players too much as I'm getting a lift home and dont want to be in an uncomfortable situation" or

"Oh that George Williams seemed a nice fella on the coach, couldn't possibly be the type to want to rip someone's face off"
    Yes, but, seriously..? Is it something to get worked up about? Or worth making a complaint about?
    Yes because it could have influenced decisions... As @PeterGage says, it shouldnt be happening; that'll be for a reason
    I bow to @PeterGage 's obvious superior knowledge on this.

If you're excluded from travelling other than at the arrangement of the home team, then he shouldn't have done so.

But if Charlton are supposed to have arranged his travel, I can't imagine Charlton being in a position to register a complaint.
    How can you not see the obvious conflict here, if it's true.
    I now understand that it's supposed to be prohibited. In which case, it's wrong. But something to be vexed or concerned about? Not for me. Should referees be prohibited from public transport, for example? If a ref has a last-minute, critical decision to make before getting the same train as a number of aggrieved fans, is that ok?

Should Charlton set a precedent by making a formal complaint about the ref travelling on a team bus? To what end? And what would the reaction of that ref - or others - to future Charlton games be?

I'm sorry that I'm not as upset as some people seem to be.

Fortunately it turns out that Wyn Grant's consistently excellent blog carried a sentence that was a joke, but believed by some people, and subsequently corrected. So I'm glad there doesn't seem to be a formal complaint to be made about the ref.

However, if a strongly-worded complaint about a certain, well-connected vol au vent muncher spreading false allegations on social media was put forward, I wouldn't raise any objections!
  • Options

Scoham said:

Oh dear, Sue...
    Rapidly back tracking.
  • Options

Scoham said:

So obviously not the case and yet people getting their knickers in a twist and calling for action to be taken etc etc etc.

He gave them a dodgy pen, we should have been out of sight by then but weren't. Get over it, there is not a conspiracy against Charlton by refs or the FA/EFL
    People clearly said if it’s true
  • Options

Scoham said:

which clearly it wasn't
  • Options

Scoham said:

which clearly it wasn't
    It must be great living in a land where you’re never wrong
  • Options

Scoham said:

which clearly it wasn't
    Is it? I wouldn't know as don't live there.

I'm right sometimes and wrong other times but today, in this case, I was right. Not sure quite why that's upsets you so much but don't really care either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was always gonna be a 50/50 as to whether it was true or not weren't it.

The point is though, regardless of whether it was true or not, would it be okay?
  • Options
    Ooey was that you in the lower north yesterday getting the run around with 4 young kids?
  • Options

Ooey was that you in the lower north yesterday getting the run around with 4 young kids?

No , I didn’t go yesterday
  • Options

That can't be right?!

Sure it isn't.

Some people will beleive anything that they see on the internet
    Hence Brexit.
  • Options
    I personally know two ex football league referees.
    The first referee lives in North Essex.
    He was a good friend of George Burley who was the Ipswich Town manager at the time. For at least 2 or 3 seasons George Burley allowed him to do pre season training at Ipswich. My friend used the Ipswich facilities and had access to their physios and medical staff.
    He never refereed Ipswich Town, but he did act as linesman at matches involving them on a few occasions.

The second referee also lives in Essex. He was also offered similar help with pre season fitness by West Ham at their Chadwell Heath training ground.
    He told me that he never took them up on this offer, but he refereed West Ham on more than one occasion.

So if the referee yesterday lived in Northampton he probably does know the MK Dons management staff, although I would imagine Karl Robinson would also know him.

• Options

He was a good friend of George Burley who was the Ipswich Town manager at the time. For at least 2 or 3 seasons George Burley allowed him to do pre season training at Ipswich. My friend used the Ipswich facilities and had access to their physios and medical staff.
    He never refereed Ipswich Town, but he did act as linesman at matches involving them on a few occasions.

The second referee also lives in Essex. He was also offered similar help with pre season fitness by West Ham at their Chadwell Heath training ground.
    He told me that he never took them up on this offer, but he refereed West Ham on more than one occasion.

So if the referee yesterday lived in Northampton he probably does know the MK Dons management staff, although I would imagine Karl Robinson would also know him.

I would respectfully point out that the first part of this statement is inaccurate. You cant be on the referees list and act as linesman.

Referees used to be encouraged to train with football league clubs to keep up their fitness and help to get over messages about the Laws of the Game. I suspect, but dont know, that this is not the case now.

Also upon joining the league list, the Football league would ask all new officials which team they supported to avoid a conflict of interests.
  • Options

Scoham said:

which clearly it wasn't
    Is it? I wouldn't know as don't live there.

I'm right sometimes and wrong other times but today, in this case, I was right. Not sure quite why that's upsets you so much but don't really care either.
    You are always jumping on "WIOTOS" or people believe everything they read etc.

This is a football forum and gossip/speculation is arguably the best part of it. In fact, the summer rumours thread is always a highlight.

Most people were saying "if true", so not sure why you had such a problem with people questioning it TBH.
    I don't think you and I were reading the same transfer rumours thread.... ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeterGage said:

I would respectfully point out that the first part of this statement is inaccurate. You cant be on the referees list and act as linesman.

Referees used to be encouraged to train with football league clubs to keep up their fitness and help to get over messages about the Laws of the Game. I suspect, but dont know, that this is not the case now.

Also upon joining the league list, the Football league would ask all new officials which team they supported to avoid a conflict of interests.
    The referee in question actually supported Arsenal.
    The point is that he had a vey cosy relationship with Ipswich.
    I am not saying that he acted improperly, but I am sure that although not supporting Ipswich he does have a soft spot fro them.
    Also he certainly acted as linesman at Portman Road on a few occasions. This was probably because he lived fairly close, and was available at short notice.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

The referee in question actually supported Arsenal.
    The point is that he had a vey cosy relationship with Ipswich.
    I am not saying that he acted improperly, but I am sure that although not supporting Ipswich he does have a soft spot fro them.
    Also he certainly acted as linesman at Portman Road on a few occasions. This was probably because he lived fairly close, and was available at short notice.
    Dont want to labour the point, but the referees list and the assistant referees list are independent from each other and the personnel are not interchangeable.
  • Options
    When I 1st read the thread I was going to let my negative thoughts be known.

But It sounded so randomly stupid unnecessarily strange and
    unbelievable that i decided it
    surely must be false and I don't want to make a prat of myself by expressing any outrage.

I win.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

When I 1st read the thread I was going to let my negative thoughts be known.

But It sounded so randomly stupid unnecessarily strange and
    unbelievable that i decided it
    surely must be false and I don't want to make a prat of myself by expressing any outrage.

I win.

No one likes a smart arse!