Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Rochdale | Tue 21 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale
Tuesday 21st November 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction

Hot on the heels of Saturdays match comes a second home game in four… Looking to get back to winning ways; Karl Robinson will be disappointed not to have taken three points against his old club, despite an early goal from Josh Magennis, the Addicks were twice pegged back as Milton Keynes Dons controversially secured a share of the spoils… This Tuesday night sees the Addicks hosting Rochdale as we look to return to winning ways and put pressure back on to our rivals.

The Opposition
Name: Rochdale | Manager: Keith Hill
Last Result: Oldham Athletic 3-1 Rochdale

With Charlton throwing away two points on Saturday it was our midweek opponents who were throwing away a share of their spoils… Oldham and Rochdale are two sides separated by less than 10-miles and it was the rejuvenated former who took the points from this encounter – Rochdale were set to earn a point thanks to a Matt Done equaliser yet two goals in the last seven minutes ensured that the Dale were left without a win since the 21st October.

For a side who narrowly missed out on the Play-Offs last term its been a disappointing start to the current season for the Lancashire side; just three wins this season (all three coming at Spotland) mean that it’s a complete reversal of form from last year… From promotion hopefuls last term to relegation battlers this year prove just how the fortunes of many a club can change at this level. Yet in Keith Hill; Rochdale have their own Alan Curbishley type figure and if anyone can guide them to safety it’ll be that man!!

Like many teams in this Division; Rochdale are always going to struggle against the larger teams when it comes to the financial side of the game – Key winger; Nathaniel Mendez-Laing departed on a free transfer to Cardiff whilst apart from Matt Done (Sheffield United) all other signings have joined from sides below League One… Ian Henderson who finished top scorer last term with 17-goals will always be a danger yet with just four goals in the League this term means that Rochdale will need him to start firing if they want to survive!!

Charlton Team News
Injuries are once again beginning to have an impact on our season and a lack of squad depth could begin to be an issue… Patrick Bauer missed Saturdays result with a slight issue and Billy Clarke remains side-lined for another two weeks – The former should return to the heart of defence tomorrow night, yet it looks as though the latter will be joined on the injury table by Tariqe Fosu who could miss out with a quad injury.

Of course the starting eleven should continue to pick itself yet during the build up to Milton Keynes’ first goal; Ben Reeves picked up a knock and was substituted soon after… Hopefully that wont cause problems for tomorrow with the sole question hopefully being around who partners Patrick Bauer in the heart of defence… Does Karl Robinson choose Ezri Konsa (despite having played over the International weekend) or does he go with Naby Sarr who’s performances continue to impress.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Reeves | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Konsa | Aribo | Jackson | Ahearne-Grant | Dodoo

Prediction
After the Saturdays game I came out and said that I’d have been happy with a draw prior to kick-off against Milton Keynes… This Tuesday night I wont be happy with anything other than a win; Rochdale for me are in a false position and should be doing better than what they are (a 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers proves that); Lets not be the first team to give Rochdale three points on the road though!!

Comments

• Hoping for a morale boosting victory. However, this is Charlton after all... 1-1
  • I was once told I look like Keith Hill (sorry Keith).

I have great admiration for his club and fans who had very little to cheer for decades until my doppleganger came along.

Still hope we thrash them.

Reeves needs to step up and find the passess in the final third the way that Clarke does and the attacking three need to re-find their crossing boots.

2 - 0 Charlton (Maginess, Foster-Caskey)
  • "With Charlton throwing away three points on Saturday" - surely we only threw away 2 points!
  • cafc-west said:

"With Charlton throwing away three points on Saturday" - surely we only threw away 2 points!

Cheers my bad
  • Win tomorrow and we are back on a 2 point average which should be top 2 form.

2-0 Charlton

9533 (106 Rochdale)
  • While nothing is certain, there are no easy games etc....

This is a must win game, and one which I would expect us to win. We do need our shooting boots on though.

3-1
  • Got a feeling this is going to be a high scoring game.

Of course Rochdale are going to come to The Valley and play very defensively, try to break up our momentum by lots of niggly fouls. But after the performance on Saturday and their form at the moment is really bad, I can see us scoring a few.

With Bradford at home to Scunthorpe tomorrow night, it’s critical we pick up three points before our trip to Scunthorpe on Saturday. On Saturday, Wigan are away at Rotherham and Bradford away at Shrewsbury. Big couple of games for us now.

Charlton 4-0 Rochdale
    Magennis
    Holmes x2
    Reeves
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • must win to keep us rolling on, as i said other week its v easy to slide into a rut and drop points when games are in quick succession. 2-1 us
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

You're Rochdale, how do you approach the game?

Midweek way down south to one of the leaders, wet and gloomy. But then Keith Hill is a very experienced manager and hasn't stayed in the game by trembling with fear at a challenge. You maximise what you have, double up on Holmes, don't give Josh a sniff, sort your set pieces, have at least one guy with the skill enough to beat a player, be defensive to settle down and wait for the chance, take time out of the game...and so on. Keith Hill is certainly not going to write this game off.

To my mind it is essential that we start with aggressive and attacking intent, doing everything with as much speed and precision as possible. The anticipated rhythm of the game by Rochdale must be disrupted, and we have to be brave enough to continually try our good stuff rather than match up to any percentage play by Rochdale.

Tomorrow is a big test in my view.

Last season's match at the Valley was very much like this

Calvin Andrew was unmarked in the area and scored with a well placed header... We got a penalty which we missed very early in the second half which might have changed proceedings yet other than that we didnt get a sniff because Rochdale closed shop.
  • 2 - 0 to the Addicks , Big Mac and KFC and no, that's not what I'm having pre match.
  • Everything points to an Addicks win....

..0-1.
  • edited November 2017
    You can blame me for Saturdays dropped points as I posted a uncharacteristic 2-0 win.

I have learnt from my mistake & going for a 1-1 draw. We score in the first half & as per usual we huff & puff & can't get a 2nd. They score on 85 mins & we spend the last 5 mins defending for our lives & come away happy that we snatched a point from a team in the bottom 4.
  • You can blame me for Saturdays dropped points as I posted a uncharacteristic 2-0 win.

I have learnt from my mistake & going for a 1-1 draw. We score in the first half & as per usual we huff & puff & can't get a 2nd. They score on 85 mins & we spend the last 5 mins defending for our lives & come away happy that we snatched a point from a team in the bottom 4.

Golfie... we've been here before have we not?
  • Looking forward to it, only do night games and the very occasional Saturday game, good feeling about thisone, 5-1 to us.
  • 3-1 to KR's Red & White Army
  • Have an uninvited house guest called Mr Gouty McGout so will be unable to make this .
    3-0 to the Reds
  • I'd start Sarr and Bauer and play Konsa in midfield alongside JFC as I thought Sarr was the more solid defender on Saturday, and Kashi had a poor game by his standards, however I do acknowledge that may be a little kneejerk and would also be happy to see the same 11 start with Bauer on the bench
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    2-0 home win. Holmes and JFC.

I wonder if the Rochdale team coach will drop the ref off home.
  • I said 3-0 win against Wigan and MK, so I think I will go for 2-2, for those who bet, this is the only score not to bet on
  • I can see another draw. 1-1
  • 2-0 home win. Holmes and JFC.

Probably threaten to take him to Rochdale if they don't get a penalty.
  • Decent brandy in the flask to toast a sadly departed friend and ST holder at the Dale, that said I can only see a home win 3-0, coyr.
  • Just two things I wanted to point out that I've just realised:

(1) Rochdale 1-1 Blackburn was in the Football League Trophy so... take that with a pinch of salt

(2) This is Charles Breakspear's third Charlton game in charge this season (Wigan / Oxford he's refereed) - Dont know of someone who's taken charge of so many Charlton games in one season before; thankfully he's from Surrey so am sure one of the Charlton Supporters Coaches can give him a lift too and from the ground

Happy to oblige with a lift..passing the M3.
  • We have threatened a big win for a while, think this could be it
    4-1
    Holmes, magennis, JFC, Bauer
  • 2-0 home win. Holmes and JFC.

What? That shouldn't be allowed.

Someone complain to the league.
  • 4-0 to CAFC . Holmes x 2 , JFC and Reeves. .
  • I'll take any sort of win. 2-1 Charlton
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!