Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rodney Bewes RIP

edited November 2017 in Not Sports Related
Likely lads actor had died aged 79 .

Comments

• Options
    I met him once. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Rodney.
    Loved The Likely Lads and Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
  • Options
    Used to love the Likely Lads. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtmwckP58s8
  • Options
    RIP , Bob Ferris , great comedy.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Loved Whatever happened to the likey lads. Great British sitcom.RIP Bob Ferris
  • Options
    Missed out on the original 60's series, but "Whatever happened to..." was one of my favourite sitcoms of the 70's.
    (Good shout for best theme tune ever too, together with Ray Davies "Budgie" theme)
    Also remember his stint with Basil Brush
    RIP
  • Options
    Ahh. That was fine TV. RIP
  • Options
    Well, now we know what happened to one of them.
  • Options
    Blimey. RIP.

Seemed a bit of a tragic character because of the huge success of the LL's in the 60's then little after. Will read his obituary with interest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved the Likely Lads - him and James Bolam were a great pairing.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Likely Lads was so good
  • Options
    So sad to lose him.

Loved the likely lads in all their incarnations.
  • Options
    Loved the likely lads.
    RIP
  • Options
    It was a shame that the two stars of this brilliant series could not get on with each other, especially when James Bolam refused to allow repeats as Bewes needed the money. RIP
  • Options
    Just been watching the series again over the last few days. A sitcom that makes you laugh.

RIP Bob.
  • Options
    I was very sad to hear this news. I always list WEHTTLL in my top sitcom lists and the film version in sitcom spin-off versions. The theme music to WEHTTLL is so evocative and always brings back memories of being a young lad in the 70's.
    Every Christmas Night for at least the past 20 years I watch the Christmas Special before play starts at the MCG, I will again this year but with a hint of sadness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    RIP. Was a great show. Googled Bewes a few times over the years just to see what he was up to. Shame about the fall out with Bolam.

The Guardian obituary was written by someone who died two years ago!

https://theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/nov/21/rodney-bewes-obituary
  • Options

I always remember the episode where they spend the day trying to avoid hearing an England result so they could watch the highlights in the evening.

That was the very first thing I thought of when I heard the news today.

England F was the headline Terry caught a glimpse of - England Five? England Fail?

Nope - England Fogged Off! Indelibly etched classic comedy.

RIP Rodney (Bob)

• Options
    Bollox. A really great British comedy. RIP
  • Options
    Loved the theme tune for this. The England football episode is a classic!
  • Options
    RIP.

I was an avid viewer of WHTTLL? when it first aired. Partly because I was living in Newcastle at the time. It was very true to life. Things were moving at great pace in the area for some and others were being left behind: this is reflected perfectly in the series. In that regard the differences between the two characters highlighted the differences in the wider community perfectly. It was very astute television. I also preferred Bewes' character to Bolan's.

My place of work, a brand new building in the early 1970s, featured briefly in the opening credits, highlighting the changing face of Newcastle as a counterpoint to the demolition of the old back-to-back terraces and, indeed the differences between Terry and Bob themselves. It's poignant then that that building, too, suffered the same fate a few years back.
  • Options
    Very sad news , love the likely lads , RIP Bob
  • Options
    Loved the various series. Saw his one man show, Three Men in a Boat at Windsor Theatre. Very good. He was a keen sculler himself.
  • Options

RIP
  • Options
    One of the best sitcoms we have ever had. The best writers alongside 2 fine actors.