Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rodney Bewes RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    I always fancied a pint in The Fat Ox.
  • Options
    RIP Mr B
  • Options
    Like Steptoe And Son, Whatever Happened To... had an air of melancholy that elevated it above other sitcoms. Loved the public bar soliloquies. Also remembered Bewes in the film Billy Liar.
  • Options

I always fancied a pint in The Fat Ox.

It does exist! Well sort of. Ian La Frenais was a local lad and there was (still is I believe) a pub in Whitley Bay of that name.
    Another pub that got mentioned in the series, The Drift Inn, was one of my locals when I was up there. Sadly now demolished.
  • Options
    And always a pint of Special!
  • Options
    Trying to avoid the football score until the highlights programme and the game ends up getting cancelled. Classic. Rodney Bewes RIP!
  • Options
    Enjoyed the Likely Lads and Whatever happened to is one of my favourite Sitcoms- RIP
  • Options

The likely lads had not spoken to one another in over 40 years!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I always remember the episode where they spend the day trying to avoid hearing an England result so they could watch the highlights in the evening.

That was the very first thing I thought of when I heard the news today.

England F was the headline Terry caught a glimpse of - England Five? England Fail?

Nope - England Fogged Off! Indelibly etched classic comedy.

RIP Rodney (Bob)

"Flooded out" I think Bob? Instead we got figure-skating from Vienna...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another sad one. R.I.P. Rodney. Loved the Likely Lads
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I always remember the episode where they spend the day trying to avoid hearing an England result so they could watch the highlights in the evening.

That was the very first thing I thought of when I heard the news today.

England F was the headline Terry caught a glimpse of - England Five? England Fail?

Nope - England Fogged Off! Indelibly etched classic comedy.

RIP Rodney (Bob)

"Flooded out" I think Bob? Instead we got figure-skating from Vienna...
    Yes of course - my memory aint what it used to be!
  • Options
    RIP

Loved The Likely Lads and sequel.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Like Steptoe And Son, Whatever Happened To... had an air of melancholy that elevated it above other sitcoms. Loved the public bar soliloquies. Also remembered Bewes in the film Billy Liar.

100%. Rare for comedy to achieve real pathos and as you say both of these really did.

Such a shame that the two of them were estranged for all those years.
  • Options
    Rodney, in his one man show in Edinburgh I was at many years ago, claimed Jimi Hendrix played on the theme tune to the LLads, as he was recording in an adjacent studio
  • Options

Rodney, in his one man show in Edinburgh I was at many years ago, claimed Jimi Hendrix played on the theme tune to the LLads, as he was recording in an adjacent studio

Possibly.. see

http://metro.co.uk/2012/08/24/richard-herring-jimi-hendrix-on-a-british-sitcom-quite-likely-550135/
  • Options
    Sounds just like the story he was telling - dates a bit out, would have put it a bit earlier, but it left the audience talking about it as we left.
  • Options
    RIP Rodney

agree with hawksmoor it had a certain quality in the writing that made it more than just another sitcom. its social commentary, its use of subtle humour and its feeling of regret ("what's happened to us?") gave it an air very few sitcoms have ever achieved. and of course it could be damn funny.
    its in my top 5 of all time comedies.
  • Options
    Such sad news. One of my all time favourite comedies.
    Used to fancy Thelma in those days, and her sister
    who briefly went out with Terry!
  • Options
    A fantastic series and one of my all-time favourites - not just very funny but loaded with profound social comment and some great turns of phrase.

As I frequently remind my wife - "A man's entitled to linger on the lav - especially on a Saturday".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

Used to fancy Thelma in those days

Agree.

RIP

• Options
    Riviera said:

I was very sad to hear this news. I always list WEHTTLL in my top sitcom lists and the film version in sitcom spin-off versions. The theme music to WEHTTLL is so evocative and always brings back memories of being a young lad in the 70's.
    Every Christmas Night for at least the past 20 years I watch the Christmas Special before play starts at the MCG, I will again this year but with a hint of sadness.

The 1974 Christmas Special will be shown on BBC4 on Christmas Eve, 43 years to the day of its first broadcast.