Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First job

where/when was your first job?

I was 16 (back in the olden days) and started work at the Social security/DHSS in Deptford, an intersting place to satrt work.

First wages wee £340 for the month take home, which was not bad in 1980.

Comments

• Grave digger - holiday job whilst at Uni, great fun.

Almost as good as Undertakers assistant for a well known family Co in Northfleet also Holiday Job,
  • worked in barclays bank 1988 £380 per month
  • Dogsbody/Bitch/apprentice mechanic working for my uncle at his garage for £40 per week.

Didn't last long that, I moved massivley uphill to a labourer for £60 a day! Oh how I laughed at my mates on shite money. Until I realised all the other 40 year old labourers were all on the same money as me and pay rises were in short supply (read non-existent)
  • Used to work summers as a labourer on a building site.
  • Love this Thread if discounting the Paperboy & stacking shelves at supermarket after school then my first real Job was with Lloyds TSB in 1987 working in the Clearing Department (Cheques) first wage packet £420, I thought I'd won the lottery.
  • Glass Collector in Belvedere Working Mens Club. £35 for Friday/Saturday nights and Sunday Lunchtimes
  • Volunteer at a Charity shop now a Saturday worker £56 a month

Shelf Replen at Homebase..
  • first job was sunday job in benetton, bromley folding jumpers. i got £40 cash in hand for working 11-5!

first proper job was a junior secretary in a financial public relations firm in holborn in 98.
  • edited May 2007
    liverpool victoria on southampton row 1988. £5200 pa.
  • edited May 2007
    My weekend job at school was at Sainsbury's in Woolwich. Thursday night and all day Saturday paid the princely sum of £8.43.

My first proper job in 1976 was as a trainee salesman for a staionery company in Bermondsey. Was paid weekly in cash and I took home about £26 per week. Out of that came train fares of £3.50 per week and £5 housekeeping. The rest paid for footy away days, Concerts, beer and clothes. Even managed to save for holidays to Spain. Beer was only 40p per pint and we used to get proper winters...Those were the days
  • Sponsored links:

• In the Rates section of the Borough Treasurers Department of Greenwich Council Wellington Street Woolwich. My summer job between School and College.

First "proper" job was for a small (now defunct) firm of accountants in the City.
  • edited May 2007
    This is my first job.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Thisis my first job.
    Where's your hair?!
  • First proper job was at HSBC in 97. Started on 12000 pa then got a raise to 13692 after 3 months, then got the sack 3 months later. Thankfully got a nice big pay rise when I got my next job
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Thisis my first job.
    Where's your hair?!

I often get rid of it the summer, too hot for all the mess on me head!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Thisis my first job.
    Where's your hair?!

I often get rid of it the summer, too hot for all the mess on me head!

Whats with the Monty Burns spam though?
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    Whats with the Monty Burns spam though?

*confused*
  • Oh unless you mean the:

Stuart xxxxxxxxxxx

Stuart xxxxxxxxx

Stuart xxxxxxxxx

Yeah, pissed me off as well and looks rubbish, still, not my call though.
  • LAWN BOWLING !!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]LAWN BOWLING !!!!!!

Yeah, I'm bloody good at is as well. Weird sport to play but I was very close to my Grandad and it's the only thing I could do to be able to do something with him, had a natural talent for it. It's not as much of an old man's sport as most people think.
  • Sponsored links:

• MCSMCS
    edited May 2007
    I worked in Welling next to wimpy in a shoe repairs shop, i rented out his other window so i could sell watch batteries and watch straps and normal batteries ie AA and camera batteries!

Used to drink everyday in the Guy earl of Warwick, and my nickname was, yep you guessed it, Torchie (the battery boy for the younger generation!)!

Best job it was!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I worked in Welling next to wimpy in a shoe repairs shop, i rented out his other window so i could sell watch batteries and watch straps and normal batteries ie AA and camera batteries!

Used to drink everyday in the Guy earl of Warwick, and my nickname was, yep you guessed it, Torchie (the battery boy for the younger generation!)!

Best job it was!

The shoe repairers is still there ... and they still sell watch batteries!
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I worked in Welling next to wimpy in a shoe repairs shop, i rented out his other window so i could sell watch batteries and watch straps and normal batteries ie AA and camera batteries!

Best job it was!

The shoe repairers is still there ... and they still sell watch batteries!

i no, i sold him all the battery stock and all that, taught him how to be a torchie, and hey presto he still does it, still get all my batteries and watch stuff from him. And the shoe repairer dude is a charlton fan too,aswell as a top bloke!
  • Yep he's a good man - my wife was down there yesterday and had a good chat about Charlton
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]LAWN BOWLING !!!!!!

Yeah, I'm bloody good at is as well. Weird sport to play but I was very close to my Grandad and it's the only thing I could do to be able to do something with him, had a natural talent for it. It's not as much of an old man's sport as most people think.

Andy Thompson is a Charlton fan.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Andy Thompson is a Charlton fan.

Yep, we've had a few conversations about CAFC, he lives in Eltham and is an ex world number 1!
  • Heyyy - a world champion and a charlton fan - nice one.

Any other ex or current world champions who are charlton?
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Heyyy - a world champion and a charlton fan - nice one.

Steve Davis
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Heyyy - a world champion and a charlton fan - nice one.

Bjorn Borg?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Heyyy - a world champion and a charlton fan - nice one.

Steve Davis

who was born in St NIcks hospital in Plumstead I believe (same as me)