Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky/BT to lose PL coverage to Amazon/Facebook/Twitter??

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    hold on, so people are moaning that they are seeing all the games they would have seen with their subscriptions but are angry they need to pay extra to watch others games that they have not actually previously paid to watch. 
    Yes this is exactly it 

I get £14.99 was expensive but Championship and below have been paying £10 all season and no ine cared but as soon as premier league clubs had tk start paying £14.99 it was a massive issue lol
    Because I pay over £70 a month for my sky and Sky Sports and I shouldn’t be expected to pay more for Premier League games . 
    Dont buy the games then, you knew what you were getting before you signed up.
    Sky advertise exactly how many matches the play per season.

Maybe I have missed your point.
    You're right. 

You've missed my point. 
    I think you've missed your own point.
    PPV is an added option to your monthly subscription. Do you expect to get all the boxing that is on PPV for free as well?
    The additional games that are on PPV are just that additional games and before you moan about Sky/BT making loads out of this. 

I don't know why people are complaining about Sky/BT charging extra to watch PPV games. The Premier league set the price and Sky/BT is just the platform they're shown on. 
    I don't know if Sky/BT get any of the money but they certainly don't get it all.
    BT and Sky buy the rights from the PL for big bucks and recoup their money from the TV subscriptions including PPV.
    Are you sure?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-live-tv-sky-sports-box-office-pay-per-view-fixtures-ppv-b910956.html
    9 Oct 2020 ... Sky and BT Sport will host games on their box office channels costing ... All profits will go to Premier League clubs and not the broadcasters.

If you don't want to pay you don't pay.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    hold on, so people are moaning that they are seeing all the games they would have seen with their subscriptions but are angry they need to pay extra to watch others games that they have not actually previously paid to watch. 
    Yes this is exactly it 

I get £14.99 was expensive but Championship and below have been paying £10 all season and no ine cared but as soon as premier league clubs had tk start paying £14.99 it was a massive issue lol
    Because I pay over £70 a month for my sky and Sky Sports and I shouldn’t be expected to pay more for Premier League games . 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 
    PPV is an added option to your monthly subscription. Do you expect to get all the boxing that is on PPV for free as well?
    The additional games that are on PPV are just that additional games and before you moan about Sky/BT making loads out of this. 

I don't know why people are complaining about Sky/BT charging extra to watch PPV games. The Premier league set the price and Sky/BT is just the platform they're shown on. 
    I don't know if Sky/BT get any of the money but they certainly don't get it all.
    BT and Sky buy the rights from the PL for big bucks and recoup their money from the TV subscriptions including PPV.
    Are you sure?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-live-tv-sky-sports-box-office-pay-per-view-fixtures-ppv-b910956.html
    9 Oct 2020 ... Sky and BT Sport will host games on their box office channels costing ... All profits will go to Premier League clubs and not the broadcasters.

Wrong.

Pay Per View wasn't an option when i signed up and i didn't expect the more prestige games to cost me £15 a piece and that's exactly what SKY will do if they get half the chance. 

It's a very smug opinion to say don't pay for it if you don't want to but i already am with my subscription !!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

Pay Per View wasn't an option when i signed up and i didn't expect the more prestige games to cost me £15 a piece and that's exactly what SKY will do if they get half the chance. 
    Sorry Beds, can't agree with you on this one. 

When you sign up to Sky and BT, you are paying for a specific amount of games, something like 140 or whatever it is. That's literally what you agreed to pay for. There's nothing in that contract that says anything about what they may or may not do with the remaining 240 games. That's up to them. They can't take away any games from your deal, and because of the way the rights work, they're unlikely to add them (although obviosuly they did, and you got tons of extra games in Project Restart). 

The PPV exists now in order to make sure supporters get to see the games they would normally be watching live, because of COVID. Personally, I think they should be free. Football clubs are loaded, even in this crazy time, and can afford to be generous. Maybe 5-10 quid tops. 15 is pure greed, so fuck them. 

But I cannot agree with your assessment that it impacts your Sky subscription in any way. 

It's exactly the same as PPV movies on Sky Store or Amazon - they're not part of your subscription, and never were. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

If you think Brighton v Burnley is a more prestigious game then you've been watching Charlton for too long.
    You may well be right that in the future the best games will be on PPV but Sky will have to announce it and you can then adjust your subscription accordingly.

PS I don't work for Sky or BT before I get accused of having vested interest.  
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

It's a very smug opinion to say don't pay for it if you don't want to but i already am with my subscription !!
    No what you signed up for was 128-games on Sky Sports along with 80-games from the EFL

Instead you could end up getting just short of 380 from the Premier League if SKY have half the whole season between themselves and BT  - The fact that BT have already shown Everton v Liverpool, and SKY have shown Man Utd v Arsenal when they could have put them behind PPV shows that it probably wasnt going to be a road they'd go down with the "prestige games"
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

If you think Brighton v Burnley is a more prestigious game then you've been watching Charlton for too long.
    You may well be right that in the future the best games will be on PPV but Sky will have to announce it and you can then adjust your subscription accordingly.

PS I don't work for Sky or BT before I get accused of having vested interest.  
    Brighton v Burnley this month but it will be City v Liverpool next season and we all know it.
    To be honest I’d quite happily get rid of Premier League football from my Sky Sports if It was an option . BT lead the way with their champions league coverage and soccer Saturday is awful now it’s gone all politically correct .
    I watch far more cricket on Sky than football and that why I still have it . 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

When you sign up to Sky and BT, you are paying for a specific amount of games, something like 140 or whatever it is. That's literally what you agreed to pay for. There's nothing in that contract that says anything about what they may or may not do with the remaining 240 games. That's up to them. They can't take away any games from your deal, and because of the way the rights work, they're unlikely to add them (although obviosuly they did, and you got tons of extra games in Project Restart). 

The PPV exists now in order to make sure supporters get to see the games they would normally be watching live, because of COVID. Personally, I think they should be free. Football clubs are loaded, even in this crazy time, and can afford to be generous. Maybe 5-10 quid tops. 15 is pure greed, so fuck them. 

But I cannot agree with your assessment that it impacts your Sky subscription in any way. 

It's exactly the same as PPV movies on Sky Store or Amazon - they're not part of your subscription, and never were. 
    I’m not disagreeing that contractually SKY are in the right but morally ? Nah I’m not having that . I never knew they were going pay per view for premier league games when I signed up . That was never advertised. If I did , I doubt I would have done . Id have probably looked for a dodgy stream instead as people are increasingly doing . 
  • Options
    Before the games were made ppv Sky/BT customers who were also season ticket holders at a premier league club could watch all their clubs matches at no extra cost, now they have to fork out £14.95 even if their club is playing at home.
    If you are a season ticket holder at an EFL club you do not need a SKY/BT subscription to see all your clubs matches as they are available on IPlayer.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

I’m not disagreeing that contractually SKY are in the right but morally ? Nah I’m not having that . I never knew they were going pay per view for premier league games when I signed up . That was never advertised. If I did , I doubt I would have done . Id have probably looked for a dodgy stream instead as people are increasingly doing . 
    But you are still getting all the games you would have initially got before covid and if fans were allowed to attend in your subscription.

The PPV games are just the extra games that would not have been on TV
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

But you are still getting all the games you would have initially got before covid and if fans were allowed to attend in your subscription.

The PPV games are just the extra games that would not have been on TV
    Now they are ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

Are you sure?

Wrong.

Did you sign up after February 2020?
    If not no one could have known what was going to happen so they could hardly advertise that because no supporters could attend games all Premier league games would be shown for free initially and that the Premier league would then charge for games that were not part of the original package.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Before the games were made ppv Sky/BT customers who were also season ticket holders at a premier league club could watch all their clubs matches at no extra cost, now they have to fork out £14.95 even if their club is playing at home.
    If you are a season ticket holder at an EFL club you do not need a SKY/BT subscription to see all your clubs matches as they are available on IPlayer.
    Yeah thats what I dont agree with

If Premier League clubs were able to get £15 from Season Ticket holders then they're effectively scamming fans

If they've issued refunds (Yeah I bet some havent) then its a little more understandable
  • Options
    clive said:
    Yeah thats what I dont agree with

If Premier League clubs were able to get £15 from Season Ticket holders then they're effectively scamming fans

If they've issued refunds (Yeah I bet some havent) then its a little more understandable
    Although in fairness that is nothing to do with Sky or BT.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes this is exactly it 

You're right. 

You've missed my point. 

I don't want the premium games put on Pay Per View when those games would have been ordinarily available with my SKY subscription. 

If you think that won't happen ( and it already started to last month) then you are naive.

It's not about how many games i knew sky would show , it's about which games they would show.
    Ok fine, I understand what you mean. 
    I would be surprised if Sky stated switching out the Man U v Man City or the Spurs v Arsenal matches for Brighton v Wolves and Southampton v Newcastle. Like you said, there would indeed be a lot of annoyed customers and I dont think it would go unnoticed.
    Do bear in mind they appear to have ditched the PPV model now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year, and some fixtures will now be shown on the BBC.

Fulham's game against Everton on Sunday, 22 November (12:00 GMT) will be screened live on BBC One.

The Premier League said all remaining games in November and over the Christmas and New Year period will be shown on existing broadcast services.

How to watch Premier League in November

All times in GMT

Saturday, 21 November

Newcastle v Chelsea (12:30) - BT Sport

Aston Villa v Brighton (15:00) - BT Sport

Tottenham v Manchester City (17:30) - Sky Sports

Manchester United v West Brom (20:00) - BT Sport

Sunday, 22 November

Fulham v Everton (12:00) - BBC One

Sheffield United v West Ham (14:00) - Sky Sports

Leeds v Arsenal (16:30) - Sky Sports

Liverpool v Leicester (19:15) - Sky Sports

Monday, 23 November

Burnley v Crystal Palace (17:30) - Sky Sports

Wolves v Southampton (20:00) - Sky Sports

Friday, 27 November

Crystal Palace v Newcastle (20:00) - Amazon Prime

Saturday, 28 November

Brighton v Liverpool (12:30) - BT Sport

Manchester City v Burnley (15:00) - BT Sport

Everton v Leeds (17:30) - Sky Sports

West Brom v Sheffield United (20:00) - Sky Sports

Sunday, 29 November

Southampton v Manchester United (14:00) - Sky Sports

Chelsea v Tottenham (16:30) - Sky Sports

Arsenal v Wolves (19:15) - Sky Sports

Monday, 30 November

Leicester v Fulham (17:30) - Sky Sports

West Ham v Aston Villa (20:00) - Sky Sports

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54932314

• Options
    Good news
  • Options
    Poor old Amazon, always get the shit games 
  • Options
    Some fixtures will be shown on the BBC, perhaps I'm going blind, but I can only see one.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Some fixtures will be shown on the BBC, perhaps I'm going blind, but I can only see one.
    Presumably the BBC will be getting more games. The article says there won't be any more PPV games until at least the new year, yet only list TV fixtures for November. Therefore we can summise the BBC will have one or more games in December.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Apple getting involved in the next round of domestic TV rights? Potentially consolidating everything under one service? Not sure how SKY and BT would feel about that...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11633733/Apple-TV-set-enter-bidding-war-Premier-League-rights.html

Apple TV are preparing a bid for the next set of Premier League domestic television rights that would transform the way the topflight is broadcast in this country.

The tech giant are looking to increase their live football coverage, with a 10-year contract to broadcast Major League Soccer beginning next month.

They have already dipped their toe into the Premier League market by making a documentary about the European Super League, called The War for Football, which was released yesterday.

The Premier League’s current three-year deal with Sky Sports and BT Sport expires in 2025, with the tender process for the next set of rights due to begin later this year.

Many clubs with American owners, such as Chelsea under Todd Boehly, are convinced that at £5.1billion over three years the current rights are undervalued and are looking to US tech companies to drive up the price.

A serious bid from Apple is the biggest threat to Sky Sports’ dominance of Premier League coverage since they gained exclusive rights to the competition in 1992, as they have the financial clout to challenge them. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    would be 'bye bye' to Sky in my house
  • Options
    SKY wouldn't survive this and it would be death of cable in the UK. Prob long overdue and ultimately inevitable.

Presumably Apple would offer a two tier subscription, i.e. price with and price without Premier League. Be interesting to see how they'd price the football.

Apple must be tempted by overseas Premier League broadcast rights too. Far cheaper than UK rights but with a very loyal following.

What may have held Tech giants back to date is the falling numbers of viewers of Premier League on British TV. It has surely reached saturation point and the predictability makes the league too stale to sustain attention across the whole season. Even though I have SKY, I very rarely tune into Super Sunday or MNF. I'll watch whilst eating dinner if it's on but most games are pretty unspectacular.

That coupled with oft reported short attention spans of younger gens possibly means interest is genuinely waning and likely to decline further.

Do Tech giants want to invest in a long term contract for EPL with a European Super League of some sort a likely prospect over the next ten years? Maybe hold back and then go big with a bid for ESL rights?
  • Options
    Wishing Apple the very best with their bid, that’s all I can say 
  • Options
    The problem with Sky is that make you pay for their basic package then you need to add Sports, if you are interested in the Entertainment stuff thats fine. But it really bumps up the package. 

Even with their new pucks that stream via the internet has the same issue, missed a trick as far as I am concerned. 

Kind of related, the first season of Your Honor was great but I discovered yesterday in order to watch the new one I need Paramount plus. Can see this kind of thing happening, wondering when HBO will launch their own service here in the UK. 

Sky need to really adapt or be left behind. I know they make their own content, but not enough imo. 

• Options
    would be 'bye bye' to Sky in my house
    Interesting comment, are you saying you pay, £50, £60, £70 or whatever it is a month just to watch Premier League football?
  • Options
    Apple will likely just go for Amazon games. Or they take BT 's share. I get the impression BT are giving up on sporting coverage 
  • Options
    I have the full sky package, but unless they change their attitude to non Premier League coverage I'm out as soon as my contract ends.
    Sky sports news is ALL about the PL. Transfer show ALL PL, early morning show ALL PL! There are 72 clubs in the EFL, and 20 in PL, yet PL get 90% coverage....I've had enough!
  • Options
    Sky went ages ago in my house. IPTV and a VPN works lovely. 
    I have the IPTV for a bit of Saturday afternoon football. But the picture and sound quality ain’t as good as the legitimate stuff. 
  • Options
    Apple will likely just go for Amazon games. Or they take BT 's share. I get the impression BT are giving up on sporting coverage 
    I’d be surprised if BT give up. Only recently bought by Warner Bros. Discovery and working on a new launch of sports package.