Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So what are you going to do?

124»

Comments

• Options
    You can’t have a total boycott when even CARD members go!
    There is nothing that can be done. There is no passion in the support. Sat in lower west for the Portsmouth game. Only real football fans wore blue to my right.
    Those in the west lower are the worst supporters our club has ever had. In the protest games I was involved in two demonstrations at the directors box. One with a dozen fans from the north stand. The other on my own! The others all around were regime zombies. Not fans.
  • Options

Let's face it, the longer he / she remains, the more screwed we are.

You only have to see this thread as an example of how divided individual opinion is. And this is based on largely 'hard-core lifers' who Charlton means so much to they go out their way to discuss it / read others views on a daily basis.

In the meantime, while we continue to argue the toss on what the right / wrong approach is (without any of us knowing definitively what that actually is), hundreds of others less emotionally involved will continue to join the thousands who have already made the detachment from the club.

I really fear that if he doesn't go soon we will come to a point in time a few years down the line that all that will be left to fight for the future / rebirth of the club will be those that have spent the previous years arguing with each other and exhausted and divided themselves in the process.

I suspect it’s more like the longer they remain the more screwed they are.

I’m obviously in the camp that thinks Charlton would be a much more attractive proposition to be bought if we were getting bigger crowds at our home games. Whether I’m right or not we will never know but in the meantime if people want to stay away and boycott then that’s up to them but if they want to tell those of us that will stick by the team through thick and thin (as we’ve always done) to boycott as well then they can fuck off. As for this myth that thousands are staying away because of RD I think it’s delusional. We are a 3rd division club that’s played some shit football in recent seasons and there’s been more negativity heaped on the club by the protests. That’s why most of those missing fans no longer go to games. That’s the bleeding obvious reason why the crowds are down and a promotion chasing run in the new year will attract more fans to Home games, that’s the way football works, always has, always will.
  • Options

Overnight bag ( well, trunk) packed - check.

Euros purchased - check.

Passport dusted off - check.

Banner made - check.

I'm ready, willing & able to go if needed.

Anyone joining me ?

CLB74.

He likes to protest.
  • Options

Euros purchased - check.

Banner made - check.

Loins girded - check ( ouch!)

Anyone joining me ?

Belgium is the only way to go now.
  • Options
    I go but in a way I feel the boycotters are more proper Charlton than me.
    Not getting a season ticket is the best I have managed so far.
  • Options

Let's face it, the longer he / she remains, the more screwed we are.

You only have to see this thread as an example of how divided individual opinion is. And this is based on largely 'hard-core lifers' who Charlton means so much to they go out their way to discuss it / read others views on a daily basis.

In the meantime, while we continue to argue the toss on what the right / wrong approach is (without any of us knowing definitively what that actually is), hundreds of others less emotionally involved will continue to join the thousands who have already made the detachment from the club.

I really fear that if he doesn't go soon we will come to a point in time a few years down the line that all that will be left to fight for the future / rebirth of the club will be those that have spent the previous years arguing with each other and exhausted and divided themselves in the process.

I suspect it’s more like the longer they remain the more screwed they are.

I’m obviously in the camp that thinks Charlton would be a much more attractive proposition to be bought if we were getting bigger crowds at our home games. Whether I’m right or not we will never know but in the meantime if people want to stay away and boycott then that’s up to them but if they want to tell those of us that will stick by the team through thick and thin (as we’ve always done) to boycott as well then they can fuck off. As for this myth that thousands are staying away because of RD I think it’s delusional. We are a 3rd division club that’s played some shit football in recent seasons and there’s been more negativity heaped on the club by the protests. That’s why most of those missing fans no longer go to games. That’s the bleeding obvious reason why the crowds are down and a promotion chasing run in the new year will attract more fans to Home games, that’s the way football works, always has, always will.
    No doubt there's a mixture of season ticket holders who didn't renew because of RD and others due to negativity/protests. Either way it was ultimately caused by RD.

Crowds and season ticket holders didn't fall so much in the last spell in League 1 either.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I’ll continue not going but I do still care, it’s my club, it’s our club!

Don’t kid yourself, it isn’t your club if you don’t go along and support the team. At a wild guess you probably don’t also go along to Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd etc and wouldn’t claim to support them and if you are like me would have no respect for anybody that claimed to be a fan of those clubs who didn’t go to their matches - so what’s the difference if you no longer go to Charlton’s matches ?
    That’s typical of the noncence that’s gets spouted out about those who don’t attend!

I don’t, like others, wish to line Douchebags pockets.

I could argue that you do more damage by blindly going regardless!
    And if we all stopped going in the 70s, 80s or 90s there would have been no club at all.

As for the bit about typical nonsense that gets spouted out about those who don’t attend, whenever blokes get together and the conversation moves on to ‘who do you support’ and name a team and they get the next question ‘do you go ?’, I defy anybody to deny that as soon as one person says he supports a team but answers he doesn’t go either ever, or went once in their life or doesn’t go anymore he is either instantly dismissed as somebody with nothing further of importance to contribute to the conversation about football or is openly mocked by the others.
    Sorry to drag this back to page 1 - but this is a pathetic argument.

A few on here still go to the valley (regularly) and talk absolute BS have little to no understanding of the game itself, they generally live locally so attending is easy for them, yet they slate others for not attending.

To say someone's opinion on football doesn't count because they don't go and you do is rubbish.

*Five or six of my close mates are Palace season ticket holders, as such I can say somewhat confidently I know what I am talking about here.
  • Options
    change your mates !
  • Options

change your mates !

They're not so bad. Sometimes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Euros purchased - check.

Banner made - check.

Anyone joining me ?

CLB74.

He likes to protest.
    How about one of the more vocal boycotters gets off his little elfs arse and goes to Belgium.
    You my little legged friend are one of the reasons I wouldn't join the protests.
  • Options
    A boycott hasn't and won't have any impact on this owner they don't need our money. Things would also have to get a lot worse to make a total boycott possible. Meanwhile the club is dying. One reason I restarted City Addicks.

The season ticket escrow thing is a nice idea but what if a new owner is a dick too? Wouldn't be getting my money, sorry.

Perhaps the reality is football in this country is broken, and if it's not a tight fisted numb nut owner or a speculating carpet bagger, it's another with so much money the club and its history are subsumed.

Unless somehow clubs and their grounds can be protected by legislation, something like the German system perhaps, maybe the only way out of this is to build a new club in Charlton that can never be allowed to become owned by anyone other than the fans
  • Options
    Our owner may not need our money but he also does not need constant adverse publicity.
    A large number boycotting combined with creative protests keep the story in the press.
    Just my opinion but i think embarressment is his achiles heel.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I go but in a way I feel the boycotters are more proper Charlton than me.
    Not getting a season ticket is the best I have managed so far.

Disagree Seth.

There is no right or wrong with the attending/non-attending.

We are all Charlton fans at the end of the day.
  • Options
    I think your right, the only way he will sell is by continual ( but legal and classy) embarrassment.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Bad publicity yes agreed, boycott just gets explained away as league 1 football or malaise rather than a concerted effort/impact
  • Options
    razil said:

Bad publicity yes agreed, boycott just gets explained away as league 1 football or malaise rather than a concerted effort/impact

Disagree. If we're still saying that a high proportion of those still going are Roland out supporters, if they all boycotted then we're talking about a few thousand turning up. That's pretty newsworthy especially if CARD made enough noise about it. Even stronger would be to have those same people protesting outside while the game is going on.

I know it's never going to happen in reality for the reasons I've said earlier but I think it could be made into bad publicity.