Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apologies and Redirection

Comments

• Options

I'm sorry, but how can you be a fan when you've never been to the stadium, or seen us play - how can you share the pain we are going through. You've never stood in the pouring rain at Yeovil, been held back at Millwall for half an hour, or seen us throw away a 3-0 lead in the cup at Shrewsbury. I just don't get why you want to follow a football club in the UK. You're views on players, formations, substitutions, the manager, the owner or any other facet of the club are not worth a jot. Go a support a NFL team, or watch the stupid US version they call football.........pansies with armpads. Pah !!

I take your point golfie but I take an interest in other clubs in this country and around the globe in football and in other sports but I’ve not been to their stadiums.

I’ve never seen the Baltimore Orioles but I follow them, ever since I shared a flat with a yank.

I’ve never been to Dundee but I follow their results as I do Darlington, Crewe and many more.

Of course I’m not a fan, as their own supporters but I do get disappointed if a particular team lose.
  • Options
    I'm really not sure you can "pick" a club. Most of us didn't. And some of us might well have picked someone else if we'd had a say in it.
    If you're invested in what's going on, you're a fan. I think it's more real if you've been to a match, but I think you can still be invested from a distance. It's easy for us in England, we have teams we can connect to on our doorstep (especially if we live in London). Many other countries even in Europe don't - hence why all Scandinavians have an English team they follow, and most Irish follow either an English or Glaswegian team.
    You should still come over and watch us: it will probably be quite dispiriting on one level, but you'll meet loads of good people and get to taste English beer, which when done well* is the best in the world. Even a dull match at The Valley is a totally different experience to watching a stream or TV. You see different things and you can smell the grass and feel the rain when it comes. If you sit in the right place you can hear KR berate the players and 4th official.
    And anything can happen... (well apart from a decent ref against a local rival who won't gift them points thanks to a sh*t decision)

* (Unfortunately it's rarely done well)
  • Options
    One of my favourite posters even though I don't agree with half what you say, keep going.
  • Options
    hope you keep on posting Napa :smile:
  • Options
    Keep posting @NapaAddick I disagree with most (well everything) of what you say but you defend and explain your opinion resolutely. I didn't have Charlton handed down to me but went to the Valley when I was 17 and just fell in love with the place, we all get here by different routes.

But please stop defending Trump's tax cuts.
  • Options

Some? Probably 150 hours. And that was before I signed up here. Americans do not have the loyalty or legacy of football in England. Our teams move all the time. The Oakland Raiders are about to move towns for the third time in 38 years! Thus, I am not able to choose a club the way you mostly do. I've lived in Wisconsin, Montana, SoCal and NorCal. We are all over the place. Clearly I am not a fan to the degree many here are. But I do wake up super early just to see the scores and come here 10x a day. So I hope it counts for something.

To me they will always be The Oakland Raiders!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think, and hope, that Golfie was joshing.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I think, and hope, that Golfie was joshing.

Maybe he shot 18 over par today.
  • Options
    @NapaAddick , when you start posting again, it may be worth wearing a tin foil hat to protect you from the haters. Note that the said hat will be made from aluminium, that's ALUMINIUM...ALUMINIUM for Christ's sake.
  • Options
    You sound a very passionate person, Napa, and very articulate in your posts! If the Charltonlife grammar police have left you alone, you must be doing a lot right!
    Oh, as well as supporting a great club in CAFC (believe me, I come from a family of Man Utd fans who could never afford to go watch a live game). Post on, Napa, and enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is OUR club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just learn to say aluminium properly and you can come back!
  • Options

I'm sorry, but how can you be a fan when you've never been to the stadium, or seen us play - how can you share the pain we are going through. You've never stood in the pouring rain at Yeovil, been held back at Millwall for half an hour, or seen us throw away a 3-0 lead in the cup at Shrewsbury. I just don't get why you want to follow a football club in the UK. You're views on players, formations, substitutions, the manager, the owner or any other facet of the club are not worth a jot. Go a support a NFL team, or watch the stupid US version they call football.........pansies with armpads. Pah !!

Make you right mate. I’d never claim to be a ‘fan’ of some NFL side because I’d done a bit of Wikipedia research on them on the net.

It’s not half as strange as constantly being on your rival teams forum.
    I'd say that someone looking at a rival teams forum is nowhere near as weird as someone living thousands of miles away, with no connection to the team in question, looking at the forum.

You make something that, in this day and age, is quite normal appear to be odd.

I know you don't actually believe it to be true and I'm sure you're disappointed in the lack of likes the 'sure fire to get likes' comment received :smile:
  • Options

Make you right mate. I’d never claim to be a ‘fan’ of some NFL side because I’d done a bit of Wikipedia research on them on the net.

It’s not half as strange as constantly being on your rival teams forum.
    I'd say that someone looking at a rival teams forum is nowhere near as weird as someone living thousands of miles away, with no connection to the team in question, looking at the forum.

You make something that, in this day and age, is quite normal appear to be odd.

I know you don't actually believe it to be true and I'm sure you're disappointed in the lack of likes the 'sure fire to get likes' comment received :smile:
    Gutted
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    bobmunro said:

Some? Probably 150 hours. And that was before I signed up here. Americans do not have the loyalty or legacy of football in England. Our teams move all the time. The Oakland Raiders are about to move towns for the third time in 38 years! Thus, I am not able to choose a club the way you mostly do. I've lived in Wisconsin, Montana, SoCal and NorCal. We are all over the place. Clearly I am not a fan to the degree many here are. But I do wake up super early just to see the scores and come here 10x a day. So I hope it counts for something.

Yes it does count for something.

I agree with MillwallFan and others in that the family and location tends to make the decision for you. That would almost certainly hold true for most ‘football’ countries. My boys wore bibs as babies saying ‘I support Charlton cos my dad says so’.

But the key for me is how a football club makes you feel - if it includes euphoria, anger, sadness, frustration, belonging, pride then for me you are a fan. I’m sure Charlton conjour up those emotions in you, Naps.

If there’s a hint of indifference them maybe not.
    My old man put Charlton as my middle name...nice of him to curse bless me with his choice!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Just learn to say aluminium properly and you can come back!

and missile
  • Options
    I believe you all say it...

Ah-lu-MIN-ee- um
    Mis-SILE

??
  • Options

I believe you all say it...

Ah-lu-MIN-ee- um
    Mis-SILE

??

Looks right to me!
  • Options
    Or Al-you-MIN-ee-um

Not quite the same, I know, but I had a Canadian friend at school & we were often separated by our common language!