Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apologies and Redirection

13»

Comments

• Options
    N01R4M said:

Or Al-you-MIN-ee-um

Not quite the same, I know, but I had a Canadian friend at school & we were often separated by our common language!

To be fair, North Americans do actually spell aluminium differently - they drop the second 'i' so they do at least pronounce it how they spell it. It's the words they spell the same but say differently that can be more confusing.

It can actually be harder in Canada because you're never quite sure if they have adopted the American spelling/pronunciation or the British one, and then they have their own Canadian slang that you don't get the same TV/Hollywood exposure to so often have no idea what it is, whereas we all subconsciously speak a bit of American anyway because we're exposed to so much of it.
  • Options

N01R4M said:

Or Al-you-MIN-ee-um

Not quite the same, I know, but I had a Canadian friend at school & we were often separated by our common language!

To be fair, North Americans do actually spell aluminium differently - they drop the second 'i' so they do at least pronounce it how they spell it. It's the words they spell the same but say differently that can be more confusing.

It can actually be harder in Canada because you're never quite sure if they have adopted the American spelling/pronunciation or the British one, and then they have their own Canadian slang that you don't get the same TV/Hollywood exposure to so often have no idea what it is, whereas we all subconsciously speak a bit of American anyway because we're exposed to so much of it.
    One of my gripes is that UK exam boards are gradually moving towards US spellings on science exam papers - sulfur, fetus, etc. Of course we seem to have long lost the battle over the definition of a billion & I assume RD is an American 1.6 billion euro billionaire, not a traditional UK billion!!
  • Options

..... but I would genuinely prefer to watch Millwall in the third tier .......

I do hope you get your wish soon.

Maybe next season?

:smile:

• Options
    Seriously though, @Cordoban Addick said it best, I don't necessarily agree with you on everything, but I do appreciate your posts, especially on football. I think statistics-based analysis very much has a place in the modern game.

As talked about yesterday, we have a fair amount in common. And it sounds like you've had a tough year. But you still come across as very civil.

I agree with the others, I don't think you need to take a break. But I can say from personal experience, that sometimes it helps me to kind of take a step back, be it from this forum (or the internet in general), or football. I think you and I had a moment at the same time yesterday where we both sort of remembered "oh yeah, there's a human being on the other side of this screen." And I think it's easy for all of us to lose sight of that, such is the nature of things. I know I do.

So yeah, keep on keeping on, but also do what's best for you.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

N01R4M said:

Or Al-you-MIN-ee-um

One of my gripes is that UK exam boards are gradually moving towards US spellings on science exam papers - sulfur, fetus, etc. Of course we seem to have long lost the battle over the definition of a billion & I assume RD is an American 1.6 billion euro billionaire, not a traditional UK billion!!
    #TheRealissues
  • Options
    Addickted said:

#letsgetnappatothevalley

One day it would be great if we could get Naps over to watch a game.

And Jessie Addick.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Thanks, everyone. My break is more from political threads. Within CAFC threads, perhaps to just be a bit less involved in strong back and forth. Maybe I will reduce my visits to the board to 4-5 per day instead for a week or two instead of 8-10. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some? Probably 150 hours. And that was before I signed up here. Americans do not have the loyalty or legacy of football in England. Our teams move all the time. The Oakland Raiders are about to move towns for the third time in 38 years! Thus, I am not able to choose a club the way you mostly do. I've lived in Wisconsin, Montana, SoCal and NorCal. We are all over the place. Clearly I am not a fan to the degree many here are. But I do wake up super early just to see the scores and come here 10x a day. So I hope it counts for something.

Oh you've really got the bug Napa.... 10 x a day (especially at work) for me, every time hoping the news that RD has sold up but to no avail. May I suggest you try and get hold of a couple of DVD's on the history of the club? Ignore the rantings of one or two on here, we need all the support we can get. Guess there's no chance that you're a secret wine millionaire looking to invest in Charlton I suppose?
  • Options
    Napa... you're a fucking lightweight. Get yet arse over to SE7 and start suffering like the rest of us.

I you wish to simulate the true anguish of being an Addick at 17.05 on a Saturday evening, take your todger and beat it wafer thin with a steak mallet.

Have a nice day blud.
  • Options

Thanks, everyone. My break is more from political threads. Within CAFC threads, perhaps to just be a bit less involved in strong back and forth. Maybe I will reduce my visits to the board to 4-5 per day instead for a week or two instead of 8-10. ;-)

Oh gawd - he’s back already!

• Options
    I originally thought napaddick was an exile, born in London supported charlton but due to work related circumstances, ended up in California.

• Options
    Publish and be damned @NapaAddick
    It’s a forum, it should not be an echo chamber to keep the “clique” happy.
    I’ve never shyed away from posts on anything when I have an opinion to give, whether it offends or disagrees with others, it’s not real life, 0 f**** given.
  • Options

I believe you all say it...

Ah-lu-MIN-ee- um
    Mis-SILE

??

Also, there are 2 syllables in Squirrel and Mirror :wink:
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Seriously though, @Cordoban Addick said it best, I don't necessarily agree with you on everything, but I do appreciate your posts, especially on football. I think statistics-based analysis very much has a place in the modern game.

As talked about yesterday, we have a fair amount in common. And it sounds like you've had a tough year. But you still come across as very civil.

I agree with the others, I don't think you need to take a break. But I can say from personal experience, that sometimes it helps me to kind of take a step back, be it from this forum (or the internet in general), or football. I think you and I had a moment at the same time yesterday where we both sort of remembered "oh yeah, there's a human being on the other side of this screen." And I think it's easy for all of us to lose sight of that, such is the nature of things. I know I do.

Actually can I back track, can you shut the fuck up now @NapaAddick.

*Obviously winky face thing as Yanks don't get irony.
  • Options
    There's not much fun in posting on this forum with even a slightly "different" political point of view. Much as I'm often tempted to "correct" a prevailing opinion about some, even insignificant things concerning The U.S., I resist, as I've learned that different opinions are most often not welcome, opinions are firmly set, so I stay out of the political discussions. Even personal experiences are doubted and questioned. For me this is the best source there is for news of Charlton Athletic, but no longer the discussion forum for all worldly events as I thought it was when I first joined.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

There's not much fun in posting on this forum with even a slightly "different" political point of view. Much as I'm often tempted to "correct" a prevailing opinion about some, even insignificant things concerning The U.S., I resist, as I've learned that different opinions are most often not welcome, opinions are firmly set, so I stay out of the political discussions. Even personal experiences are doubted and questioned. For me this is the best source there is for news of Charlton Athletic, but no longer the discussion forum for all worldly events as I thought it was when I first joined.

I'm going going to challenge you on that. Not because I want to prove your point for you, but I genuinely believe alternative points of view are welcomed. That said, with certain issues there does tend to be a majority position and if you're going to swim against the tide you've got to be strong to stand up to the current. That doesn't mean that minority opinions aren't welcomed, but It does mean that there may be an imbalance in the number of arguments on one side or the other.
  • Options
    Napa, what’s stopping you coming over to watch a match?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Napa, what’s stopping you coming over to watch a match?

6000 miles? If you decide to go NAPA, I'll go the last 3000 miles with you. Maybe the first game under a new owner?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

When did you ever take a step back?