Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Regrets

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not buying the grey admiral kit.
  • Options
    Never seeing Allan Simonsen play. In those days I only went to Charlton very occasionally and only ever with my dad. I said to him about going but he wasn't interested. In a moment prescient of The League of Gentlemen he said he only wanted to watch a local team of local people. "There's nothing for you here", I later imagined him saying to bolster his argument. So that was it, my dad didn't want to go, I had no Charlton supporting friends and I didn't fancy going on my own. I never did see Simonsen.
  • Options

My biggest regret is getting into a stupid fight at the play off final and getting thrown out after 15 minutes.

I also missed the Battle of Stamford bridge as I went to stay with my girlfriend in Wales for the week.

Mate that play off one must be a killer :-(
  • Options
    I don’t have any apart from maybe beating Millwall

Funny actually I think, actually I know I’ve been lucky to have supported the team over the time period I have (88-present)

I was 6 in 88 when I first started getting taken regularly. Have vague memories of staying up that season at Selhurst. Had a little break I think for patches of the 90/91 91/92 season back fully back in as 10 year old when we got back to the valley.

And to be fair, the whole play off thing and promotion coincided with me being 16 and through to my mid 20s

I speak to my dad and he says he had to endure some real crap some seasons in the 70s (as well as good), but I think on the whole (excluding the last 4 years), I’ve had it good.
  • Options

Not going to the 4-2 win against Arsenal at Highbury. Had a ticket thought I would play for my Sunday team then watch in the pub later.

Not going Millwall in the snow.

These are my 2. Been to all the other games v Millwall & Arsenal since 1985 but missed the only wins at their place........gutted.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I speak to my dad and he says he had to endure some real crap some seasons in the 70s (as well as good), but I think on the whole (excluding the last 4 years), I’ve had it good.

There were some real crap seasons in the 70’s, and yet, it includes some of my best times supporting Charlton.
  • Options
    That Fulham free kick when it was our throw in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

cabbles said:

There were some real crap seasons in the 70’s, and yet, it includes some of my best times supporting Charlton.
    Me to.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

My biggest regret is getting into a stupid fight at the play off final and getting thrown out after 15 minutes.

I also missed the Battle of Stamford bridge as I went to stay with my girlfriend in Wales for the week.

Mate that play off one must be a killer :-(
    Don’t think I’ve ever been so gutted as I walked out of the stadium mate.

Even the copper felt sorry for me. I didn’t start it and only got involved because my mates pregnant sister was in the middle.

I tried to argue my case but he basically said, look mate we can’t let you stay in but we won’t arrest you or report the incident unless we catch you back in here.

It was especially gutting as I’d seen so much shit over the years and knew I’d never see another game like it.
  • Options

Not going to the 4-2 win against Arsenal at Highbury. Had a ticket thought I would play for my Sunday team then watch in the pub later.

Me and the missus had comp tickets. but they would have been in with the Arsenal fans, and on the day we didn't fancy sitting among them while they crowed as each goal they scored went in...
  • Options

stonemuse said:

cabbles said:

Me to.
    Well has he said we had some great players

He also called them the free fall years. Seemingly safe in March only to go on disasterous run that either ended up us with us relegated or scraping to safety
  • Options
    cabbles said:

stonemuse said:

cabbles said:

Me to.
    Well has he said we had some great players

He also called them the free fall years. Seemingly safe in March only to go on disasterous run that either ended up us with us relegated or scraping to safety
    We still had more fun then than I bet youngsters have nowadays.
  • Options
    Not really realising as a "Know it all 14 year old" that Maurice Banham was talking a lot of sense as he tended The Valley pitch and world owed me nothing. If wanted it I had to make it happen, not sure I made it happen but hopefully Mr Banham has a little smile when he looks down. RIP Sir.
    On the pitch, no regrets......... Ups, downs, highs, lows it goes with the shirt. ;)
  • Options
    Regret not getting see us playing in Europe but overall dont have too many - Accept that as a normal club fan there will be highs and lows which'll see us getting a good kicking at times with very little chance of success
  • Options
    When Charlton beat Wimbledon 5-4 in the 1st leg in the League Cup? when Bowyer got a hat trick. I said to me mates. I can't be arsed to go. It will be a boring game with hardly any goals and we would lose. My friends called me directly after the game to delightful tell me about the game and score and about Bowyer.
  • Options
    Jumping up and down and applauding a Millwall equaliser at the Den many years ago having arrived late and ended up in the home end not wearing colours. Was also guilty of walking through Luton after we lost 7-0 (was it 6 ) with Luton supporters chanting “ Your gonna get your fuc**** heads kicked in”. On both occasions I should have grown a pair and taken my medicine. Wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Options
    Never getting to see Charlton beating Man Utd in the Premier League under Curbs!!... Only team we didnt beat out of the big sides!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting up at stupid o'clock for the Sunday 12pm kick off against Sheff United, FA cup 1/4 final. Not ashamed to admit the greasy chip butty song gave me goosebumps.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Watching today’s game.
  • Options

I regret that Adolph Hitler invaded Poland in 1939, then we wouldn't have had to go to war with Germany, the Gliksteins would have rebuilt the Valley to become the Highbury of South London, bought more top ranking Players, (Stanley Matthews was being mentioned at the time), and we would still be in the top flight. Bloody Adolph Hitler. What became of him anyway?

Think his transfer to Palace fell through and he went into politics.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Not being at Highbury for the 2-4
  • Options

My biggest non regret you giving me that ticket!
  • Options
    Missing the 7-6 win just before Christmas, helping out in my Dad's shop as a young teenager. If only ...
  • Options
    Being talked out of going to the Valley clean up by my ex and not being able to get a ticket for the first game back.