Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bury v Charlton 2018 post-match thread

Comments

• As I said on another thread keep a clean sheet and we invariably get all three points - you Reds!!!!!
  • Lennon hasn't looked especially great - in the three games he's got clean sheets in recently he's been comfortably the junior partner to Sarr, Bauer and now Konsa in terms of 'who did the most defending' - he's done well to not get injured mind
  • very pleased with result especially if reeves played well as we so need him to contribute and want some kind of about turn for magennis too. Yesterday i felt angry about holmes today i feel hopeful . Lets see what happens against Walsall
  • T_C_E said:

Watched on tv from my home in Denmark as I've watched most of the games this season. Reeves looked more up for than in ages which maybe because we weren't looking for Holmes to come and collect the ball, in fact as was the whole team in the first 20 minutes we ran at them taking the game to them instead inviting them on to us. Bury decided that they better start to lean on a few players and with some big lumps in their side it started to get a little agricultural. Marshall decided at last to start hitting the by line but needs to start firing in a cross instead of floating it in for the keeper. Both centre backs looked ok with Lennon the shakier of the two, the full backs looked ok and weren't overly bothered with any threats by their wingers. Kashi just kept it fairly simple. All in all, a good result and will give them the confidence in themselves.

Hey @T_C_E . I’m in Denmark too. Where are you based and how long have you lived there?
    And I'm in Norway !

Anyone over here fancy a drink ?
    What are you doing in Norway @Fanny Fanackapan ?
    Would you believe I'm frolicking around in a wood ?

Seriously, when I realised @T.C.E. wasn't actually in Copenhagen but accessing ifollow through Denmark, I used Norway as my "route".
  • We deserved that win - a strong team performance with some good bits of skill, noticeably from young Joe. Kashi grew into the game but I reckon all were pass marks today. Was that the youngest back 4 that Charlton has ever fielded?
  • Leuth said:

Lennon hasn't looked especially great - in the three games he's got clean sheets in recently he's been comfortably the junior partner to Sarr, Bauer and now Konsa in terms of 'who did the most defending' - he's done well to not get injured mind

I've always liked the look of Lennon. Big and reasonably quick.

He's been injured over a year so will take a while to get back to his best.
  • 3 points but some context

Bury are now 12 points from safety after suffering their eighth straight defeat - and they have now gone 754 minutes without scoring a league goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are quality
  • OK, we won.

Meaningless if we lose Holmes - season over.
  • Out of interest, how many games has Harry Lennon been back in the side? Seems that since he’s been in we’ve kept a couple clean sheets.

Yes and absolutely nothing to do with playing 2 teams, who can't score to save their lives :wink:
  • edited January 2018
    Leuth said:

Lennon hasn't looked especially great - in the three games he's got clean sheets in recently he's been comfortably the junior partner to Sarr, Bauer and now Konsa in terms of 'who did the most defending' - he's done well to not get injured mind

Yeah I don't think he's anything special and he's often looked a liability under high balls and just lumps it forward far too much. Hopefully Sarr and Solly baxk next week.
  • What a load of bollocks...Roland Out now!
  • Great 3 points in mind of everything going on around them.
    Well done KR LB JJ and the squad.

Deserve a moments praise for today.
  • In the circumstances we couldn't have asked for a better team to play really, a struggling team with a tiny crowd.

But it was a crucial win, and a credit to everyone for keeping their focus after what must have been a demoralising few days. Funnily I also saw a crucial 1-0 win as Dartford somehow managed to beat Havant
  • Sponsored links:

• In the circumstances we couldn't have asked for a better team to play really, a struggling team with a tiny crowd.

But it was a crucial win, and a credit to everyone for keeping their focus after what must have been a demoralising few days. Funnily I also saw a crucial 1-0 win as Dartford somehow managed to beat Havant

Scored 1st minute- how was rest of game?

1st v 3rd I believe?
  • Macronate said:

RedChaser said:

PWR (just for you @bazjonster :wink: )

At the match;

My first visit to Gigg Lane which is a tidy little ground with the East Stand now allocated to visiting supporters with the old West Stand behind the goal at the opposite end not opened for the small crowd expected.

With no Holmes in the squad Reeves played the number 10 role, Marshall was on the right and Mavididi on the left behind Josh. Kashi was in his usual position but Aribo seemed to playing a bit further forward in 4-1-4-1 formation. Despite rumours about Lennon's fitness he partnered Konsa at CB with Dijksteel and Dasilva full backs in front of Amos

Both sides started cautiously but before long the gulf between the two sides soon became apartment as expected of their respective league positions. Dasilva and Mavididi combined to provide our main threat and Reeves looked up for it seeking plenty of ball and using it well. Ex Bantam Hanson the Shakers new on loan signing from Sheffield Utd put himself about but Lennon, and Konsa were up for the challenge and restricted him to one free header which missed the target. At the other end Josh had two good chances both of which were spurned. Both teams had a few corners but neither keeper was really tested and our free kicks in dangerous areas were wasteful and came to nothing HT 0-0

Second half we started to boss the game and Bury were there for the taking the odd shot they did have in anger was atrocious and it is no wonder they are well adrift at the foot of the table. After some good interplay down our left a ball came quickly to Aribo in the 18yd box, caught him by surprise and bounced of his shin, had he controlled it a goal was inevitable. We continued to press for a goal and it finally came after good work by Aribo in the box with a quick turn of feet and dummy he cut along the goal line before pulling it back to Marshall to slot home.

With our tails up and Bury's resistance finally broken we pressed for a second and after a great run into the box by Mavididi it should have been 2-0. Somehow the ball struck the woodwork and we don't half like doing things the hard way by defending a 1-0 lead as the 90 min mark approached with 6 mins of additional time shown by the 4th official. Reeco, JFC and JJ were all thrown into the mix from the bench but you just knew a chance would fall to the home side, fortunately nothing came of it and wouldn't have troubled a goal twice as wide, game over FT 1-0.

Well done to the 300 or so travelling Addicks, amongst whom incidentally the black and white theme was more prevelant today, for getting behind the team.

In summary the oppo were poor on a run of six straight defeats but you can only beat what is in front of you and we did. All the team put a shift in and they have all staked their claim for inclusion as the injury situation eases. Never mind Holmes, Mavididi is a joy to behold running at defenders, it doesn't always come off but he is exciting to watch in full flight and like Dasilva is far too good for this league. Three points against the whipping boys of the league doesnt make it all rosey in the garden with the sh*tstorm going on at our club but it does offer a lighter moment and prevented a melt down had we been beaten.

Rolland Out and COYR's

‘soon became apartment’ is my new favourite saying.
    Just a little flat, perhaps?

• Oggy Red said:

Out of interest, how many games has Harry Lennon been back in the side? Seems that since he’s been in we’ve kept a couple clean sheets.

I've been sticking up for him for a couple of seasons and been given stick for doing so.
    When he has been out on loan and played regularly he has done well.

The problem he has had at Charlton is that he has always been 4th or 5th choice and never been given a run in the side
    I still think he will develop into a decent defender for us.
    A couple of seasons ago when Lennon was on loan at Gillingham, didn't they build their defence around him?

They were comfortably in the play off positions when Charlton suddenly recalled him - and afterwards without him, their season collapsed.

I’m not sure about that oggster, he only played 8 games in 2 different loan spells.
    Not correct. Is that a wiki stat? Played pretty much every game the firsy half of the season at Gills under Justin Edinburgh. The year we were relegated.
  • Haven't watched the match but it seems if we had a striker we might have won this by more than one goal. I wonder if we can get the hattrick of one nils on Saturday.
  • If we can keep picking up points and scraping wins during this limbo period then, even of the transfer window is missed, the boost whole club will receive when Roland sells may be enough bring an upturn in form and keep us in touch. This injury crisis won't go in for ever.if key players come back and stay fit for the rest of the season we may just sneak 6th. Then you're only 2 games from the championship.
  • Three games. Three. Not two.