Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football For A Fiver- Shrewsbury home game,24th Feb

Comments

• Options
    Come up from Minster on Sea once you lot have confirmed the dress code. ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Red, white and black. Keeping the options open x
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Hawaiian shirts and flip flops
  • Options
    Just heard an advert for this game on LBC so they are really trying to fill the ground.
  • Options
    Any pubs in Charlton showing the England rugby after?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Shrew said:

I'm making the journey down with my son. Well this is the last time I watched Charlton play Shrewsbury at The Valley. (finished 3-3).

What an absolutely brilliant photo. That's museum quality that is!
    @Henry Irving Did you see this Ben? Fabulous photo.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Mosscat said:

Just heard an advert for this game on LBC so they are really trying to fill the ground.

It’s easy to spend money, but I doubt if that is an effective way of doing it. The most effective way to sell Football for a Fiver we found was to push out leaflets through all the primary schools across Lewisham, Greenwich, Bexley, Bromley and north Kent, with whom we had built relationships. It’s not too expensive but it is labour intensive as you have to bundle the leaflets for each class.

The next most effective was leaflets with the Shopper, although I’m not sure how feasible that is with reduced distribution these days.

The problem with radio advertising is that it’s very poorly targeted. The vast majority of LBC’s audience won’t be local or willing to travel to SE London in any circumstances, let alone for a third tier league match, so most of the spend is wasted before you start.
    To be honest, with the amount of Arsenal/Liverpool/Man Utd shirts I see around Woolwich these days its a struggle to attract locals within spitting distance of The Valley to watch Charlton.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Any pubs in Charlton showing the England rugby after?

Every single one I would imagine. The Swan has a bit drop down screen above the stage.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that the reason for the drilling up and advertising of this game is for 1 of 3 reasons. (My main hope is it's no.3, but know it's actually no.1)

1:
    Just drilling up a new wave of interest in seeing lower league matches live.

2:
    Creating a (small) surge of income that Roland can pocket some cash before going.

3:
    Roland is gone and the new owners want as many people as possible in the ground for the announcement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:

I'm making the journey down with my son. Well this is the last time I watched Charlton play Shrewsbury at The Valley. (finished 3-3).

I remember it well. It was @1973, the first season my dad bought me a S/T and I've only missed half a dozen home games since.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    So who would be sanctioning the spending on 1) football for a fiver and 2) the advertising on LBC etc? I can't see it being our Tone who will still be sulking at the loss of his makro card and the financial fella will be busy packing his smalls for his trip to tropical boro. So that leaves Murray?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that the reason for the drilling up and advertising of this game is for 1 of 3 reasons. (My main hope is it's no.3, but know it's actually no.1)

1:

2:
    Creating a (small) surge of income that Roland can pocket some cash before going.

3:
    Roland is gone and the new owners want as many people as possible in the ground for the announcement.

You can do the numbers on 2 quite easily - if the official crowd is 15,000 then there will be 7-8,000 people buying tickets. Let’s say 7,500. That’s £4.17 net of VAT x 7,500 = £31,250. That’s probably less than you would get charging normal prices.

The numbers don’t stack up, and that’s before any promotional spending. Get to 20,000 and you’ve got a chance.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

1:

2:

3:

You can do the numbers on 2 quite easily - if the official crowd is 15,000 then there will be 7-8,000 people buying tickets. Let’s say 7,500. That’s £4.17 net of VAT x 7,500 = £31,250. That’s probably less than you would get charging normal prices.

The numbers don’t stack up, and that’s before any promotional spending. Get to 20,000 and you’ve got a chance.
    Just cos 2 probably doesn't work, are you sure that makes it less likely it's the current regime's strategy?
    Undersoil heating pipework but no water heater. "Top 6 budget" but only 1 experienced striker in the squad.

The septicgenarian bungler might think he's all about the business but we've had 4+ years proving he knows the square root of fackull about mitigating losses in football.

BTW, AB when's the next new 'Voice'?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

1:

2:

3:

Just cos 2 probably doesn't work, are you sure that makes it less likely it's the current regime's strategy?
    Undersoil heating pipework but no water heater. "Top 6 budget" but only 1 experienced striker in the squad.

The septicgenarian bungler might think he's all about the business but we've had 4+ years proving he knows the square root of fackull about mitigating losses in football.

BTW, AB when's the next new 'Voice'?
    Quite. March 17th.
  • Options
    Do schools get the tickets for free?.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Do schools get the tickets for free?.

We didn't give free schools tickets for Football for a Fiver matches. The idea was to use the connections already built up to spread the word in the local community. We did do free schools tickets for other matches, but in those cases each school would be limited to 50 tickets twice a season.

I suspect there have been some free tickets at more recent FFAF matches in order to bump up the gate.
  • Options
    Bump.
  • Options
    @Shrew

Can the museum use that pic?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @CharltonAthMuseum

I have never visited the museum. is it open on match days and, if so, whereabouts is it? Thx.
  • Options

@CharltonAthMuseum

I have never visited the museum. is it open on match days and, if so, whereabouts is it? Thx.

@robinofottershaw

Yes, we're open before Saturday home games from 11. to 1.00pm

The entrance is by the turnstile 40 to the left of the big badge behind the Covered End
  • Options
    Shewsbury sold 1,000 so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Come on usually by now some sad bugger has counted all the available seats on the Ticket Website and come up with an unofficial number of seats occupied !
  • Options

@CharltonAthMuseum

@robinofottershaw

Yes, we're open before Saturday home games from 11. to 1.00pm

The entrance is by the turnstile 40 to the left of the big badge behind the Covered End

@CharltonAthMuseum

Cheers for the info.

• Options
    @CharltonAthMuseum

Cheers for the info.
  • Options
    They’ve been advertising on LBC.
  • Options

@Shrew

Can the museum use that pic?

That would be great, If you PM me your email I will send a high res copy
  • Options
    Robinson will say today get down the Valley a fiver this Saturday.
  • Options

Come on usually by now some sad bugger has counted all the available seats on the Ticket Website and come up with an unofficial number of seats occupied !

I don't think Stuwall posts on here anymore.