Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Bayeux Tapestry

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

I had to laugh when Macron suggested that we might like to reciprocate with something appropriate.

How about the piece of the Union Flag from Nelson's flagshipship that's just been auctioned or the Overlord Tapestry. ;-)

Send them one of the copies of the Magna Carta Libertatum

It's worked well enough for us for 800 years and it might give them some useful hints about their union with the rest of Europe.
    Not really sure that we can teach the French too much about freedoms and rights.

• Options

Addickted said:

I had to laugh when Macron suggested that we might like to reciprocate with something appropriate.

How about the piece of the Union Flag from Nelson's flagshipship that's just been auctioned or the Overlord Tapestry. ;-)

It's worked well enough for us for 800 years and it might give them some useful hints about their union with the rest of Europe.
    Not really sure that we can teach the French too much about freedoms and rights.

Nah, you're right.

We'll just let them sort out their own freedom and rights like we should have in 1914 and 1939.
  • Options

Addickted said:

True. From a humanitarian point of view, there's plenty of skeletons rattling around in our own cupboards.

• Options
    As there was in all Imperial Nations and plenty of non Imperial ones as well.

There's also an awful lot of nasty business going on in the World right now.
  • Options
    One of the volumes of the Domesday Book?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    se9addick said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Nah, you're right.

We'll just let them sort out their own freedom and rights like we should have in 1914 and 1939.
    Bloody hell.
    Sorry I should put a few more :wink: in my posts.

I'm missing the Brexit thread.
  • Options

It’s being shown at the British mueseum isn’t it?

they want to but no decision has been made yet

Tour it, sometime in Battle and sometime in British Museum.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Nah, you're right.

I might be way off beam here but I have a hunch you voted for Brexit.

Joking aside. Your post is repulsive.

• Options
    I've changed my mind.

We could send them one of the two Imperial French Eagles captured at Waterloo in 1815.

We'll let Macron decide if he wants the one captured from the 45th French Infantry by the Scots Greys or the one captured from 105th French Infantry by the Royal Dragoons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently the Palmerstone Method is no longer acceptable.

Their loss.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

Can't imagine Bayeux being happy about giving it up for any significant period as the Town's economy practical depends on the visitors it brings in. Plus moving it is going to be such a delicate operation. Best to go see it in Normandy for those really interested.

I believe the museum is getting a refurb, so it needs a temporary home somewhere anyway.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Nah, you're right.

I might be way off beam here but I have a hunch you voted for Brexit.

Joking aside. Your post is repulsive.

No, I didn't actually.

Missing the repulsive bit, but you need to get a sense of humour.

I actually think moving the Bayeux tapestry from where it is a waste of time, money and could seriously knock back the economy in that part of Normandy for nothing more than a political gesture.

The time and expense spent on this vanity product for both leaders to show how close our relationship is despite the Brexit vote would be far better spent on the poor individuals suffering in camps with little help from the Government whose care they are under down the road in Pas de Calais.

But not being a politician or able to do a lot about either issue, I can sit in the comfort of my study taking the piss instead.

I’m getting mixed messages here.

Apologies if your post I objected to was not as it seemed.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Fake news tea towel.
  • Options

Battle is enticing but not really practical. There is nowhere to display that fits the requirements of safety (for the tapestry) in terms of security or the correct environmental conditions. On that basis it needs to be displayed in a museum capable of meeting both those needs.

In addition. As fine a site Battle is. It is at one end of the country. Literally. To get the tapestry seen by the most people and in the perfect conditions I believe it needs to be displayed in The British Museum.

Not sure distance and convenience should be used as an excuse. King Harold and his army had to march all the way from The Battle of Stamford Bridge (Yorkshire, not the play-offs) in order to engage the Normans, so we should be prepared to make the trip to Battle. On foot. Just imagine if Harold had won. He would be the greatest English hero in history to this day (possibly still Winston Churchill?). Having defeated a large Norwegian Viking army only weeks before he came within an ace of sending the French Vikings (Normans) packing too.
    The battle of Stamford Bridge was a brilliant victory and if Hastings would have been won would have been the more famous of victories imo. The fact Harold’s own brother had betrayed him and been killed in the battle and the old enemy of the Norse being utterly defeated ending the age of the vikings and ushering in the middle ages gave it a real Shakespearean edge.

Dammit now I wish Shakespeare wrote a tragedy called “King Harold”.
    I visited Battle Abbey in the summer and had exactly the same thought - that "King Harold" was a story just waiting to be told. Shakespeare was keen on writing the history of the Plantagenets but ignored the Anglo-Saxons and Danes completely, even Alfred, arguably the greatest King England has ever had. Harold Godwinson was not at all the hopeless sap that some people think he was. He was a handsome, athletic man and a great leader who very nearly pulled off a stunning victory against William's battle-hardened, fearsome warriors from Normandy, even after walking his army almost the length of the country after defeating Hardrada at Stamford Bridge. The whole story behind the battle is fascinating, the succession question after the death of Edward the Confessor revealing the haphazard way in which sovereigns were appointed a thousand years ago - no such thing as primogeniture then. My son went to Bayeux to see the tapestry on a school trip a couple of years ago but I've never seen it and hope to be joining the queue, wherever it is located, when it comes back to this country. Battle Abbey is a ruin now apart from the abbott's house which houses Battle Abbey School. I very much doubt if it has the facilities or the desire to mount an exhibition of this size and importance.
  • Options

iainment said:

Where most would see it would be best. So probably somewhere in London.

but why does everything always have to be in London though and why when the tapestry has no association with London?

Battle would be good but the transport links, parking etc are not so good.
    Have no fear, Fanny's here ....

....and has a cunning plan !

IMO, there are 2 options to consider .

1) Board a train from London Bridge on the line to Hastings. Disembark at Battle Station & make your way on foot to the Abbey where the Tapestry will be housed for the duration. Sample the delights of the tea rooms in the town , purchase your souvenirs and then make for the station for your return journey. No stress/no parking problems.

or 2) Disembark from the above mentioned train at picturesque Wadhurst. Cross the road and enter Fanackapan Towers where the Tapestry will be on view, positioned around the walls of this small, but perfectly formed bijou residence ( Note to self - need to get out the tape measure...) Tea & biscuits will be served by Mr F, with restroom facilities available at the bottom of the garden. Fanny will be "on hand" to answer any questions & to accept donations to the WTF fund ( World Trip (for) Fanackapans)

Simples.
  • Options

Battle is enticing but not really practical. There is nowhere to display that fits the requirements of safety (for the tapestry) in terms of security or the correct environmental conditions. On that basis it needs to be displayed in a museum capable of meeting both those needs.

In addition. As fine a site Battle is. It is at one end of the country. Literally. To get the tapestry seen by the most people and in the perfect conditions I believe it needs to be displayed in The British Museum.

Not sure distance and convenience should be used as an excuse. King Harold and his army had to march all the way from The Battle of Stamford Bridge (Yorkshire, not the play-offs) in order to engage the Normans, so we should be prepared to make the trip to Battle. On foot. Just imagine if Harold had won. He would be the greatest English hero in history to this day (possibly still Winston Churchill?). Having defeated a large Norwegian Viking army only weeks before he came within an ace of sending the French Vikings (Normans) packing too.
    The battle of Stamford Bridge was a brilliant victory and if Hastings would have been won would have been the more famous of victories imo. The fact Harold’s own brother had betrayed him and been killed in the battle and the old enemy of the Norse being utterly defeated ending the age of the vikings and ushering in the middle ages gave it a real Shakespearean edge.

Dammit now I wish Shakespeare wrote a tragedy called “King Harold”.
    I visited Battle Abbey in the summer and had exactly the same thought - that "King Harold" was a story just waiting to be told. Shakespeare was keen on writing the history of the Plantagenets but ignored the Anglo-Saxons and Danes completely, even Alfred, arguably the greatest King England has ever had. Harold Godwinson was not at all the hopeless sap that some people think he was. He was a handsome, athletic man and a great leader who very nearly pulled off a stunning victory against William's battle-hardened, fearsome warriors from Normandy, even after walking his army almost the length of the country after defeating Hardrada at Stamford Bridge. The whole story behind the battle is fascinating, the succession question after the death of Edward the Confessor revealing the haphazard way in which sovereigns were appointed a thousand years ago - no such thing as primogeniture then. My son went to Bayeux to see the tapestry on a school trip a couple of years ago but I've never seen it and hope to be joining the queue, wherever it is located, when it comes back to this country. Battle Abbey is a ruin now apart from the abbott's house which houses Battle Abbey School. I very much doubt if it has the facilities or the desire to mount an exhibition of this size and importance.
    I love 1066 because all the characters seem like old legends. Harald the old Viking king, seeking one last glory, godwinson the young Saxon, a skilled warrior and popular with the Saxon nobles succeeding a saint of a king, and William, a person who had one of the hardest upbringings imaginable and managed to scrape his way to the top through sheer heroism, luck and cold bloodedness.
  • Options
    PWR

Can we agree not to reveal the result as I want to view it later?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And apparently I was told the tapestry also reveals the earliest depiction of Roland Dutchelet, he was only a lad of course but still pissing people off!
  • Options

who would go and see it?

where should it be on display - Battle (logical and my choice), Hastings(why?), Canterbury (just because it was made there?) or somewhere else?

Living locally, in fact our house is a stone's throw from where William planted his 'standard' before the battle, I think it should be displayed in Battle Abbey. Would give a massive boost to the town.

It's 70 meters long....Bottle Alley would do the job LOL......seriously though agree with you. I have seen it in Bayeux, definitely go and see it wherever it gets displayed.
    The empty Special Brew cans would ruin the effect
    Not to mention the dog shite ...oh I just did
  • Options
    Is this our new CF? How tall is he?
  • Options
    Ive seen it a few times, most recently last year. Its an amazing piece of history. Id be concerned about moving it and its also very light sensitive. Id leave it where it is...its a beautiful location and there is plenty to see and do in the area, great local architecture, beautiful beaches, lovely countryside, great fishing and of course all the WW2 locations and museums. When I last went the place was crawling with school parties from UK, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. Well worth a visit in its current location.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

I wonder how many are aware of the full scale replica made by Victorian needlewomen, which is on permanent display in Reading Museum? http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/your-visit/permanent-galleries/bayeux-gallery

Thank you. I told someone yesterday that I had seen a version there last year and they didn't believe me.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Ive seen it a few times, most recently last year. Its an amazing piece of history. Id be concerned about moving it and its also very light sensitive. Id leave it where it is...its a beautiful location and there is plenty to see and do in the area, great local architecture, beautiful beaches, lovely countryside, great fishing and of course all the WW2 locations and museums. When I last went the place was crawling with school parties from UK, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. Well worth a visit in its current location.

I might just pay it a visit there. Would make a great weekend away too.
  • Options

Norman Google

Norman Wisdom
  • Options

TEL said:

I might just pay it a visit there. Would make a great weekend away too.
    Agree with TEL and others who have been. After visiting Ypres following the Belgian protest I made a determined effort to visit some of the Normandy landing sites on the drive back from Spain last year. We ended up staying at the Campanile in Bayeux which was a great and cheap base from where to take in the history of the area. The tapestry visit was much more interesting than I expected it to be.

We were there early October so off season. Can imagine it gets mobbed at times.