Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Bayeux Tapestry

124»

Comments

• Options
    I went a few years ago. Enjoyed seeing it, and laughed like a schoolboy at the bit where a bloke is squatting for a crap with everything on show, in embroidery
  • Options

who would go and see it?

where should it be on display - Battle (logical and my choice), Hastings(why?), Canterbury (just because it was made there?) or somewhere else?

Living locally, in fact our house is a stone's throw from where William planted his 'standard' before the battle, I think it should be displayed in Battle Abbey. Would give a massive boost to the town.

It's 70 meters long....Bottle Alley would do the job LOL......seriously though agree with you. I have seen it in Bayeux, definitely go and see it wherever it gets displayed.
    The empty Special Brew cans would ruin the effect
    Had a walk along there yesterday....believe it or not it's been cleaned up (the council got a grant to tart it up)....how long it stays clean is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Actually a lot of Hastings and st leonards is looking better these days ..bottle alley included ...
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Actually a lot of Hastings and st leonards is looking better these days ..bottle alley included ...

Is 'bottle alley' just a typo for Battle Abbey?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

lolwray said:

Is 'bottle alley' just a typo for Battle Abbey?

No there's a sheltered passageway that runs from warrior square to Hastings pier ...constructed in 30s by a bloke called Sydney little he also built one of the first ever underground car parks there
    ..its called bottle alley as each panel of the concrete was has different colours of glass from old bottles set in it ....
    Sydney little was known as the king of concrete
  • Options

It would be epic to have it at battle, but where? It’s pretty long and would need a dedicated facility or room for it.

in Battle Abbey. Think the tapestry is actually in three or four sections so not one long piece. With the numbers expected to visit I'm sure a suitable facility could be built if necessary.

That is why it is not a Tapestry but an embroidery Tapestries have to be one piece.
  • Options
    smurfd said:

It would be epic to have it at battle, but where? It’s pretty long and would need a dedicated facility or room for it.

in Battle Abbey. Think the tapestry is actually in three or four sections so not one long piece. With the numbers expected to visit I'm sure a suitable facility could be built if necessary.

That is why it is not a Tapestry but an embroidery Tapestries have to be one piece.
    The Bayeux Embroidery doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it?

• Options
    The Latin for carpet is tape which is where we get the word tapestry from the French for carpet is tapis ....
  • Options
    What's the latest on this?
    Any idea @LargeAddick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read somewhere there were problems with French loaning it to us. I can't think why..
  • Options
    I'm in Normandy in June (hopefully).

Does anyone have a cunning plan?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    A facsimile of
    After the Roman Keating links last week, turns out the Thundering Cock has had a Boyzone thing for years :-) 
  • Options
    Any idea @LargeAddick
    On what? Think The Bayeux Tapestry has been finished now if that helps. If you mean the trip to Normandy in July, then we are hoping to go but will have to see where things stand in April before making a final decision.
  • Options
    The recent BBC docu-drama on 1066 was decent. 
  • Options
    The Dan Snow one ?

Really enjoyed it . I am watching his Spanish Armada series on I Player now .
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    The Dan Snow one ?

Really enjoyed it . I am watching his Spanish Armada series on I Player now .
    Yeah that’s the one.
  • Options
    There was an item on radio 4 a few weeks ago about the problem associated with the tapestry coming to UK.

Apparently, it needs some conservation repairs to make it strong enough to travel, which circumstances have delayed.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any idea @LargeAddick
    On what? Think The Bayeux Tapestry has been finished now if that helps. If you mean the trip to Normandy in July, then we are hoping to go but will have to see where things stand in April before making a final decision.
    On what? On what you were talking about, of course. Forget it. NO1RM4 gave a reasonable answer to a reasonable question.
  • Options
    who would go and see it? where should it be on display - Battle (logical and my choice), Hastings(why?), Canterbury (just because it was made there?) or somewhere else? Living locally, in fact our house is a stone's throw from where William planted his 'standard' before the battle, I think it should be displayed in Battle Abbey. Would give a massive boost to the town.
    Can we restitch the ending?
    To include Harolds famous last words 

" For fucks sake, you'll have someones eye out with that thing"
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    ..... thou shalt not include the French, for they will by nature be proud, chauvinistic, difficult buggers, ill disposed to discourse or compromise ......
    Funnily enough, that's exactly what the French think of us Brits.
    Elizabethan saying (the played by Glenda Jackson one, not the played by Helen Mirren one): The French will like the English when the Abyssinian is white.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    who would go and see it? where should it be on display - Battle (logical and my choice), Hastings(why?), Canterbury (just because it was made there?) or somewhere else? Living locally, in fact our house is a stone's throw from where William planted his 'standard' before the battle, I think it should be displayed in Battle Abbey. Would give a massive boost to the town.
    Then we'd have never had roast beef, pork or mutton for Sunday lunch.
  • Options
    Then we'd have never had roast beef, pork or mutton for Sunday lunch.
    Or surnames!
  • Options
    Read somewhere there were problems with French loaning it to us. I can't think why..
    Roll it up and hide the vaccines in it :)