Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton vs Walsall

Comments

• Options
    Yeah forgot to mention ref, very good, didn't even notice him.
    The best kind of ref.
  • Options
    A decent game, though a strangely uneven performance with some great football, but also some slow stodgy football, with endless passing between our defenders and keepers and poor distribution out.

On the positives,
    Mavididi is showing how much we missed him last season, I'm puzzled why he wasn't more successful at Preston, maybe he's more comfortable here at a London club, with players he knows
    Fosu was brilliant when he came on too, having those 2 on the pitch will cause defenders nightmares, both are so quick and tricky. Don't let Roland see this, but Fosu will soon be our most valuable player
    Magennis actually played quite well, he won a lot in the air and his knock downs went to team mates. He desperately needs a goal though, and after one brilliant run by Fosu he was nowhere near the penalty area when the pull back came in.
    Aribo was decent, I still feel he's better in the attacking 3 rather than the engine room in midfield, as he's not really a defensive minded player.

On the negatives
    Lennon's distribution at times was terrible, as it has been since he returned from injury. He nearly gave away a goal and his pass led to Solly's booking. He did settle down though and made some good block
    Konsa was a bit uneven too, and needs to build up his strength a bit.
    Amos was fine, but I would question his distribution at times. Why did he KEEP giving the ball to Lennon, the worst passer in our team, if that was a planned tactic it was very odd.
    Reeves, other than one clever bit of play, was very anonymous, it's not the first time he's been substituted early and the team improved.
  • Options

Reeves, other than one clever bit of play, was very anonymous, it's not the first time he's been substituted early and the team improved.

I thought we looked vulnerable for a while when he went off
  • Options
    Fosu really is going to be a match winner so please god he remains fit. Mavididi and Marshall both did very well. Reeves is struggling to make an impact and needs games to build his confidence. Defence looks all over the place. Lennon doesn’t look good enough to be in a promotion chasing side.

How far away is Pearce ? Need his leadership and old fashioned courage ASAP.

Eleven days of window open and I’ll be amazed if we still have all of the players that featured today.

Who we lose could be just as important as who we scrape to sign.

• Options
    Brilliant second half . KR got it spot on taking off the ineffective Reeves for Fosu . We scared the shit out of them after that and should have been 5 or 6 . Great atmosphere .
  • Options
    Was due to go to the game but after watching my eldest in the pissing rain and snow this morning I was looking for any excuse not to go and the 5 year old was frozen to death after doing the second half in goal in his match and they weren’t up for it , sofa and iPlayer for me .
    Pre Roland I’d feel guilt , now not bothered about being there or not , just sell the club you twunt !
    Enjoyable game to watch , whilst drifting in and out of consciousness and plenty of goalmouth action .
    We miss Pearce and Bauer and I’m not convinced by Lennon or Sarr, so one or both of them back will improve our chances of making the play offs .
    Attacking wise we looked a good threat today and long may it continue .

0% Top two ........ 33% 3rd-6th ....... 66% 7th-12th ........1% 13th-20th .......0% Relegation

100% Roland OUT
  • Options

Decent performance, much more dynamic in our attacking play. Stephy is so skillfully and so strong, he is doing much better than I thought.

Only blight for me was Lennon. Is Sarr made some of the mistakes he did today some fans would be nuclear.

At 50 mins Lennon was pretty poor. But after the cock up when they hit the post he was excellent. B
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Did we miss Reeves after he was taken off?

He was decent enough, but he is not winger, so when Fosu came on we looked a lot better.
    Thanks. Just wondered if play had come through Reeves in the 1st half, like last week at Bury where he was very influential in the middle of the park.
    He's no winger though.

We went 442 after about 30 mins. Reeves didn't benefit from that but the team did....especially with Fosu able to play practically a whole half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If Reeves was wide, did Stephy play no 10 role?

No. At first Reeves 10 Stephy on left. Then Reeves right, Marshall left and Stephy up front. Then Fosu left and Marshall right.
  • Options
    Nice win after a slow start
  • Options

If their 10 played for us (Oztumer?) wed have won that 7 nil.

Best player I have seen at the valley for a long time for us or anyone else.

Been wanting us to sign him for the last 18 months.
    Only the last 18 months? He was begging to be signed when he was at Dulwich Hamlet. Could have got him for next to fuck all.
  • Options
    Strange game. Turgid early on, got a goal from nowhere and then played with real confidence as per the early part of the season only to be hit on the break. Early 2nd half they had a couple of good chances but then we asserted ourselves only to see a couple of good chances wasted and thought it was going to be another one of those days. Maldivi’s pace and direct running pulled us through. Hopefully confidence will build from this.
  • Options
    3 goals, 3 points, free beer. Luverly day!
  • Options
    In the 'third' division if you get lots of crosses into the opposition area then mistakes are made and goals occur. But we spend far too much time playing tippy tappy across our back four/goalie, so have no chance of scoring a goal. Still at least our tippy tappy was a bit quicker today. When the crowd started moaning they became more positive and that led to our first goal. We are now blessed with players who can beat their opponents and play sublime one touch football. It was a delight to watch in the second half but Reeves did have his moments in the first half and Mav will scare all the teams in our league. I wonder why we need the palace winger? Who is he going to replace? Marshall? Still need a biggish forward to help out Magennis who played well today despite his awful misses.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Funny old game. We were terrible(-ish) at times, and then brilliant going forward. Don't want to slate anyone, but we miss a Pearce or a Bauer. When they're both missing we tend to look shaky at the back.

Walsall gave us a lesson in passing through the midfield, rather than passing sideways behind it. Oztumer was quality. Proper little dynamo.

Fosu received a great welcome from the fans when he came on. And he picked up from where he left off. He has an uncanny ability to hang on to the ball in tight situations, and what a difference he made.

Also great to see Mavididi proving the doubters wrong. The shot that hit the crossbar was a proper centre forward's strike. Not sure he can head the ball well enough to fill the Magennis role, but wherever he plays he's likely to wreak havoc.
  • Options
    My brief take on it all.

Great game & probably best 2nd half this season. Aribo its looking better & better & one sublime pass in the 2nd half to Marshall was worth the entrance fee in itself (but don't tell Roly that I only paid a fiver....)

Game changed when Fosu came on for Reeves. Much more direct & better than I had imagined after being out for 2 months. No idea what KR sees in Reeves - too lightweight & doesn't even pass it forward when he gets the ball. Magennis a bit unlucky with the shot that the keeper saved well in the first half & the header that hit the post in the 2nd but should have scored with the 1on1. Marshall is so frustrating; always wants the ball to feet before attacking the defender instead of receiving a pass on the run. Solly was tearing his hair out in the 2nd half. Also did himself no favours with his 2 appalling attempts at goal - just good job we have Mavvy to finish things off.

Da Silva MOTM with Fosu & Aribo close behind. Lennon needs a rest & can't wait for Bauer to come back. Last time we scored 3 goals was end of September. Heineken are pretty safe with their promotion me thinks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best performance for quite a while (possibly since Bradford away that I've seen). Aribo looks like such an important player and Fosu and Mavididi getting forward is something we should really look forward too. Josh looked much more lively and on another day could have had a goal.

If we're going to play with Konsa and Lennon at the back we need to work on what we're doing when one of them has possession of the ball, we got away with it against Walsall and might do against Blackpool, we won't against better sides.
  • Options

Oztumer was everywhere for them today, it did show at the end though as he tired and started to make some mistakes.

Jay DeSilva is going to be a massive miss for us when he goes.

Having watched him dominate for Hamlet over a cople of seasons, i have a soft spot for Oztumer. The girl mascot was taller than him, I'd love him to come to the Valley, certainly in the place of Reeves. Love the fact that he and Da Silva combined would only just get above Magennis. Great player and pleased he scored for the losing side.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    shirty5 said:

Trying hard to remember the last time when someone came on a sub and made

1) Show how bad the fella he replaced really is

2) Turn a game so much in our favour.

Here's hoping that young Fosu goes nowhere before the end of the month.

I really do struggle to see what Reeves brings. He's getting decent marks on the player ratings thread so some people must see something in him but to me he just seems to have very long periods of ineffectiveness punctuated by random shots from wherever he happens to be on the pitch that go miles over/wide.

Hopefully Fosu will be ready to start against Blackpool.
  • Options
    Well done all those who made the effort on a wet, miserable day.

I'm pleased you were rewarded for your effort and dedication.

I was ambivalent about making a 70 mile round trip to watch on my tod so when my daughter turned up with one of my grandsons just as I was preparing to leave I was happy to change my mind.

Serves me right and I'm always glad to be punished/rewarded (if you know what I mean) by an emphatic Charlton victory on the increasing number of occasions I lose the motivation to make the effort and travel.

Please God can we 1) Keep Fosu 2) Wrap him in cotton wool.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

Bullet points:

- Fosu is the absolute key to our season now. We looked aeons better in attack with him on the field. He can beat a man and caused endless problems.

- People will remember Magennis for that admittedly horrible one on one miss, but my word he made it difficult for their centre backs (especially the bloke who ended up scoring the OG). He needs a goal, desperately. He also probably needs a rest - but who replaces him?

- Kashi was understated and played really well. Couple of great blocks in the second half in particular. Aribo alongside was also instrumental.

- Marshall was willing. Don't think the defence liked playing against him much. Should have buried that chance though - as bad a miss as Magennis' miss.

- Reeves is immensely frustrating. He did a couple of excellent bits of skill, but he's clearly used to being the focal point and now he isn't, it's a bit off-putting for him.

- Mavididi has a something that players literally cannot defend against and that is his ridiculous acceleration over around 20 yards. Coupled with skill and confidence, and we have a real player on our hands! Played very well today.

- KAG/JJ not on for long enough to say much about.

- Amos... Well, he couldn't do anything about their goal, and otherwise was basically a passenger, except for one good reflex save second half.

- Lennon made up for the horrendous mistake with a couple of crucial blocks when they got round the back of us. Konsa was good - think their striker (Bakayoko) caused him a few problems, but he managed it well.

- Solly good; Dasilva great. One thing I will say is how Solly manages his game - he was still energetic at the end, and that's very smart. Dasilva is just class.

--------------------------

- Robbo has his attack the way he likes it. We play MUCH better as a team without Ricky Holmes, too. We should've scored about 2 more goals at least.

- Nice to hear We Want Roland Out!

- We have a genuine chance if we can maintain attacking like that for the rest of the season.

COYR!

Yes yes that's all very well but what about the lemon drizzle cake?
    Had my cake and ate it. Thanks.

Game was enjoyable too.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Didn't get to watch the game today but listened to the commentary and have watched the goals. Sounded like Fosu made a big difference when he came on. No surprise, it's been obvious for a few weeks how much we've missed his ability to carry the ball and use it intelligently. He doesn't run down blind alleys and hang onto the ball anywhere near as much as a most 'tricky' wingers, notably one recently departed to South Yorkshire. Mavididi's direct powerful running has also added a new dimension. With the two of them in the team together, it won't be possible to triple mark them both, as was happening to Holmes while Fosu was out, so at least one should always be able to find some pace.

Better from Mag too, with room for improvement still. He's starting to get chances again, which wasn't the case a couple of weeks back, just needs one to go in soon and has confidence will start to return.

Marshall still improving too, I reckon he's got maybe another game to hit the heights though or he'll be on the bench, Reeves may have already blown his last chance for a while.

Defensively we may not look that solid, but we've not conceded many with Lennon in the team. Personally think he's done remarkably well given he was out for the best part of 2 years. Think he'll get better but would also much prefer to have Bauer or, to a lesser extent, Pearce back.

If I was Robbo, if everyone in the match day squad today is fit enough to start the next game, I'd be considering putting Aribo in the no. 10 role and bring JFC back in. I think JFC's defensive work is underrated, and his calm and expansive use of the ball adds something to the team. Aribo, on the other hand, is really getting amongst the goals now and can take the ball past a man - league one defences will not enjoy having Mav, Fosu, and Aribo interchanging and running at them with the ball. Could be a delight to watch for us though and may help us unlock deep massed ranks defences.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Decent performance, much more dynamic in our attacking play. Stephy is so skillfully and so strong, he is doing much better than I thought.

Only blight for me was Lennon. Is Sarr made some of the mistakes he did today some fans would be nuclear.

Which mistakes? I thought he was pretty solid today-his main fault seemed to be not being as comfortable on the ball as others which doesn't really bother me as he is paid to defend which I thought he did well...

Watched a stream, Marshall was really good, gave them endless problems and a good cross for the first goal. Enjoyed that.

That Oztumer is a decent player

Born in Greenwich and spent 7 years at Charlton! Although, to be fair, we released him in 2007 when we weren't in shitty League One...

Scoham said:

Look what happens when you play 4-4-2

Was it 4-4-2? Watching the stream Mavididi played deeper and out wide, I assumed it was the usual 4-2-31.
    That's what I thought
    We started with one up front and then, after about 25 minutes, Robinson realised that josh was winning every header so he went two up front and instructed the defence to go long.