Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton vs Walsall

Comments

• Options
    I remember seeing Otzumer play for Dulwich a few years ago. He was a stand-out player at that level and for a player of his size to have such a good goal-scoring record indicates a decent player. It didn't surprise me when he joined a League side, yet it got less hype than when Daniel Carr joined Huddersfield the previous year. Otzumer has proved himself, Carr ended up back at Dulwich after a few unsuccessful loan deals.

Apparently he was approached by Charlton but. upon the realisation he would fail the Charlton Life height test, he decided to sign for Peterborough instead.

Anyway, his goal was a mere nuisance yesterday as the Addicks romped to their best win in what seems to be ages. 3 wins on the bounce is a good effort considering the disastrous December and our current off-field issues.
  • Options
    purdis said:

A game of two halves and a bit.
    When Tariq came on we came to life, especially DaSilva and Mavididi.

Thought the first half was almost pedestrian although we were in control.

Positives first half - we were well on top overall, great cross from Marshall and well watched and executed finish by Aribo plus Mavididi’s pace and ability to change direction deserved a goal after a great shot that clattered the bar.

Negatives: too deliberate in our build up play making us easy to defend against, Lennon’s long passing is sadly lacking and he cost us a goal when his cross field pass was so short of the mark that it not only went straight to their player but seconds later the ball was in the back of the Charlton net - a crime as bad as getting caught in possession when no supporting defenders behind.

52nd minute it all changed with the introduction of Tariq Fosu - put them immediately on the back foot, forced them deeper and brought to life our young stars, especially DaSilva and Mavididi.

So, my three hour drive (and missed the first 15mins) from Ipswich to The Valley was eventually rewarded (the M11 was gridlocked as West Ham were at home and I’d agreed to drop my beloved at our daughter’s house in Forest Gate on the way down).

We have Bauer and Pearce back soon, if we can have a bit of luck with reduced injuries, the future’s red and white.

Mavididi is an exceptional talent and a player of such quality and potential we will rarely see at The Valley in the coming years.

Big Josh played a role today and deserves a goal - hopefully it will be against Shrewsbury on 24th Feb or sooner.

So pleased for KR and his coaching team after losing Ricky - it may well turn out that Ricky’s departure could be the catalyst for other players to step up and take us to the play offs.

Hats off, the M11 is horrible on occasions. Train to Stratford from Ipswich would be less stressful? Although you'd be neglecting your taxi duties ;-)
  • Options

bellz2002 said:

We could have had 6 or 7. Very pleased with Mavadidi. Seems another great player produced by Arsenal.

Until the last part of the game, I wasn't comfortable as our defence wasn't great. Again far too much slow sideways and backwards passing.

MOM was Oztumer in my opinion. Great little player. How he was allowed to head in that goal I have no idea.

Overall, pleased with the amount of chances we created but bloody hell we need more composure! We're not out of the woods yet but a 3rd straight win and can't moan about that.

Oztumer is a player we should have boughtnever let go. He ran the show in the same fixture last season.
    Fixed.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Blucher said:

A good quality and entertaining game by League 1 standards and one that was turned by the introduction of Fosu and his attacking verve shortly after half time.

I thought that we started well and deserved the lead following a very good cross by Marshall and cushioned volley by Joe Aribo. Malvidivi’s cracking shot against the bar after being set up by Aribo almost made it 2-0 but Walsall moved the ball quickly and always looked dangerous. Solly was struggling against their speedy winger, Tyler Roberts, and generally down that side and a fine cross was nodded in shortly before half time by the game’s outstanding performer, Ehran Oztumer.

The second half was a very open game and I thought that Walsall were probably the better side for the first 20 minutes or so. Konsa got Harry Lennon out of gaol after the latter was hideously dispossessed just outside our area and Ben Amos made a very good save from one of their guys who got a good clean strike from a left wing cross. Walsall’s refreshingly attacking approach left us space to exploit and Fosu and Maldividi started to terrorise their back four, as we finally got up a head of steam. Magennis hit the post after a good header from a corner and then missed badly from a fairly central position. We got our noses in front when Da Silva intercepted a dangerous ball in the centre circle, danced past a player or two and laid a lovely ball into Malvididi’s path, the ball eventually being poked past his own goalie by their central defender (another Roberts). Marshall blasted a ball over after Malvididi left two defenders for dead by the touchline, Fosu forced a good save from the goalie (Roberts number 3), who then somehow kept the ball out following another set play.

Just as experienced Charlton watchers were clenching their buttocks for the traditional late onslaught, Malvididi went through, turned their defenders inside out and eased home the third - cue an enormous and quite unprecedented queue outside the North Stand Bar for the Heineken’s free pint promotion (I bet, like Hoover’s free flights to the United States in the early 90s, that is one bet they never thought they’d have to pay out on). There are parts of my anatomy that I would not wash in Heineken but my principles are flimsy and I settled for a free pint of John Smiths (a brew almost as bad, but a freebie’s a freebie).

I thought we looked a little vulnerable at the back and could do with Bauer’s experience and calmness in central defence. Chris Solly looked a bit rusty but hopefully he’ll get back to full fitness and sharpness; if not, we know that Dijksteel is an able deputy. Da Silva - in my view, our player of the season so far - was his normal excellent self and is one of our most dangerous attacking players.

Aribo showed some good touches in midfield and I thought that Marshall had one of his best games at The Valley. Magennis had a better game, winning some good flick ons in the air and was unlucky with his header against the post, but should have done better in the second half with a very good chance. Scoring goals is the hardest job on the field but it is his job. Malvididi, drifting in at times to play as a second striker, was very dangerous throughout and his strength and pace really wore Walsall’s defence down. Fosu’s Introduction proved a game changer and his speed and dribbling prowess turned the game decisively our way.

All in all, an excellent afternoon’s entertainment and a very welcome distraction from some of the current off the field nonsense. Credit to Walsall for coming with a positive attitude and to Oztumer for a really outstanding individual performance. Quite why no one has snapped him up after 25 goals from midfield in the last season and a half is a bit of a mystery to me.

Excellent stuff. I'm sure it's Mavididi isn't it, though?

Btw, I'm sure it's been said before, but having just read all the posts, the standard of writing/analysis is on CL so high.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

purdis said:

A game of two halves and a bit.
    When Tariq came on we came to life, especially DaSilva and Mavididi.

Thought the first half was almost pedestrian although we were in control.

Positives first half - we were well on top overall, great cross from Marshall and well watched and executed finish by Aribo plus Mavididi’s pace and ability to change direction deserved a goal after a great shot that clattered the bar.

Negatives: too deliberate in our build up play making us easy to defend against, Lennon’s long passing is sadly lacking and he cost us a goal when his cross field pass was so short of the mark that it not only went straight to their player but seconds later the ball was in the back of the Charlton net - a crime as bad as getting caught in possession when no supporting defenders behind.

52nd minute it all changed with the introduction of Tariq Fosu - put them immediately on the back foot, forced them deeper and brought to life our young stars, especially DaSilva and Mavididi.

So, my three hour drive (and missed the first 15mins) from Ipswich to The Valley was eventually rewarded (the M11 was gridlocked as West Ham were at home and I’d agreed to drop my beloved at our daughter’s house in Forest Gate on the way down).

We have Bauer and Pearce back soon, if we can have a bit of luck with reduced injuries, the future’s red and white.

Mavididi is an exceptional talent and a player of such quality and potential we will rarely see at The Valley in the coming years.

Big Josh played a role today and deserves a goal - hopefully it will be against Shrewsbury on 24th Feb or sooner.

So pleased for KR and his coaching team after losing Ricky - it may well turn out that Ricky’s departure could be the catalyst for other players to step up and take us to the play offs.

Hats off, the M11 is horrible on occasions. Train to Stratford from Ipswich would be less stressful? Although you'd be neglecting your taxi duties ;-)
    Would usually have headed towards the bridge via the M25 and join the A13 at Lakeside then onto Blackwall - never had a problem, even when WHU at home.
    I’ve gently encouraged my beloved to consider the future timing of her visits to said daughter in Forest Gate to a non match day at Stratford!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
  • Options

Gutted for Josh that his two attempts didn't hit the net....he is crying out for a confidence boosting goal and hope it comes soon for him as a good player in there when firing.

I felt the same for Marshall when he skied his shot. He needs a confidence boosting goal too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Well I think we started well with some solid w

Watched a stream, Marshall was really good, gave them endless problems and a good cross for the first goal. Enjoyed that.

That Oztumer is a decent player

Rare support for Marshall, and deserved I think. He didn't have a bad game yesterday and his cross for the first goal was probably our best cross of the season. He gives 100%, tracks back well, rarely looses the ball, and he scored a couple of games ago. His second chance yesterday wasn't as easy as it looked, and he didn't hit it all that badly.
    I'd play Fosu ahead of him though, but he still has a role to play imho.

[Edit: Speaking of rare support, I think Mag has taken a lot of stick for 'missing' the one one one. Anyone who's ever played up front will know that when you're one on one with the keeper, and you're just about to be tackled (or think you are) you're just going to whack it. Their keeper did well to spread himself, and the ball hit his arm or something. Only the real top draw might have dinked it over him. It was probably about a 60/40 for an average striker, and he just got unlucky.]

Also, Ozhumer was exceptional yesterday, and without him it would have been a far more comfortable win for us.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    HandG said:

Decent performance, much more dynamic in our attacking play. Stephy is so skillfully and so strong, he is doing much better than I thought.

Only blight for me was Lennon. Is Sarr made some of the mistakes he did today some fans would be nuclear.

Which mistakes? I thought he was pretty solid today-his main fault seemed to be not being as comfortable on the ball as others which doesn't really bother me as he is paid to defend which I thought he did well...

Well apart from that brainfreeze at the start of the 2nd half which should have led to a goal for Walsall, his distribution was terrible and directly led to problems.
    Solly's booking was as a result of a poor pass putting him into trouble
    His poor pass directly started the move which led to the Walsall goal
    Oztumer was then completely unmarked in the box for the goal (also Konsa's fault)

He DID put in some good blocks though but in the first half he seemed quite casual at times, wanting an eternity to receive and clear the ball when he didn't have that much time
  • Options
    Oh, and their centre half with the long hair. Serious crap. No pace and won very little.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Redrobo said:

Oh, and their centre half with the long hair. Serious crap. No pace and won very little.

Too much wind resistance? Should've had it in a bun like Ricky.........Oh hang on a minute, :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Redrobo said:

Killer and Flash's first rule of football - Centre backs must have short, sensible hair cuts.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed the second half after growing very frustrated with our first half tippy tappy. It really could have been six or seven and Mav, Fosu, Marshall, Aribo and Dasilva when they are all firing at once is a joy to behold. The defence needs sorting. Lennon to his credit never let his head drop but doesn’t look top end league 1 level to me. Konsa was pretty solid and Solly did ok although he stood off his man badly for their goal allowing the cross to come in. Reeves I’m afraid continues to disappoint and I don’t understand some of the marks on the other thread.

As a by the way, Mrs SB who has zero interest in football adopts abandoned pets from time to time so we have a steady flow of hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits. We collected a guinea pig and a hamster yesterday called Ted and Nigel respectively. I explained before I left for the footy that Nigel would need to be renamed and lost her about five minutes into the explanation. I returned home in an unusually good mood to hear that she has renamed the hamster “Solly” at which point I burst into the appropriate song and was immediately told to leave. Apparently Solly is a character from one of her favourite books but I’m not having that. I think she secretly knows. At least that’s what I’m choosing to think. Nigel remains to be renamed. I suggested Fosu and was asked to leave again. Just thought I’d share on this cold cheerless Sunday.

Won yesterday, great win for Kyle Edmund in the tennis, and we won out first ever one day series against the Aussies in Oz. That's given me a warm glow.
    Unfortunately I'm now emptying the kitchen in advance of builders coming in tomorrow to strip out the kitchen in advance of the new one being installed. Absolute mare.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst it is clear that big Josh is lacking in confidence, I think he did ok yesterday. I also think Fosu and Mav looked to hit it off and that is a positive sign as together it is a real headache for defenders at this level. We have to take players on more and less of playing in front of them, which in the second half we did.

Need a bit of luck now with injuries.
  • Options
    As others have said a game of two halves. Our opener came about as the crowd told the team to bloody go forward. Second half was great with a few scrapes at either end..how did that melee on the goal line not go in.

We should have had a a penalty also, anyone close to that confirm a trip, looked dead cert to me.

Enjoyable for once.
  • Options

Thoroughly enjoyed the second half after growing very frustrated with our first half tippy tappy. It really could have been six or seven and Mav, Fosu, Marshall, Aribo and Dasilva when they are all firing at once is a joy to behold. The defence needs sorting. Lennon to his credit never let his head drop but doesn’t look top end league 1 level to me. Konsa was pretty solid and Solly did ok although he stood off his man badly for their goal allowing the cross to come in. Reeves I’m afraid continues to disappoint and I don’t understand some of the marks on the other thread.

As a by the way, Mrs SB who has zero interest in football adopts abandoned pets from time to time so we have a steady flow of hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits. We collected a guinea pig and a hamster yesterday called Ted and Nigel respectively. I explained before I left for the footy that Nigel would need to be renamed and lost her about five minutes into the explanation. I returned home in an unusually good mood to hear that she has renamed the hamster “Solly” at which point I burst into the appropriate song and was immediately told to leave. Apparently Solly is a character from one of her favourite books but I’m not having that. I think she secretly knows. At least that’s what I’m choosing to think. Nigel remains to be renamed. I suggested Fosu and was asked to leave again. Just thought I’d share on this cold cheerless Sunday.

Is the hamster stripy and does it fall over a lot? If the answers to both are yes, I'd suggest he's already got the right name
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Is the hamster stripy and does it fall over a lot? If the answers to both are yes, I'd suggest he's already got the right name
    This ^ and don't forget to tell the Mrs make him a nice little black coat with hood for these cold winter nights :wink: .
  • Options
    Is a Siberian hamster ?? If so, call it Sybil.
  • Options
    Funnily enough little Nigel is rather stripey. But that’s where the coincidence ends as he is adorable and I don’t want to stamp on him.
  • Options

Enjoyed that . Two teams who wanted to play football.
    Could have been 8-5 .
    Mavididi and Fosu were superb .
    Ricky who ?

Ricky Holmes. The man who marked his Sheff Utd debut by sitting on the subs bench all game.

Get used to it, Ricky.
    Dad heard him interviewed on Radio Sheffield this week and it didn't seem as though he was after a move at all. Was very complimentary of his time at Charlton and it didn't sound like the move was his idea.
  • Options
    holmes departure galvanized everyone. Lennon redeemed himself with some good blocking and tackling. Loved Amos for shouting his way through the game...very good that and gives confidence to the back four. Mavididi must be allowed to continue to express himself and make mistakes. Fosu hopefully is focused and if fit must always start ahead of reeves who at present is a poor second best.....far too lightweight. Good that Solly is back. Looking forward to being in an enthusiastic away support at Blackpool. Winning runs dont go on for long but then again....why not. Last night became a lot happier with that result and performance
  • Options

holmes departure galvanized everyone. Lennon redeemed himself with some good blocking and tackling. Loved Amos for shouting his way through the game...very good that and gives confidence to the back four. Mavididi must be allowed to continue to express himself and make mistakes. Fosu hopefully is focused and if fit must always start ahead of reeves who at present is a poor second best.....far too lightweight. Good that Solly is back. Looking forward to being in an enthusiastic away support at Blackpool. Winning runs dont go on for long but then again....why not. Last night became a lot happier with that result and performance

Was that who I could hear all the way on the other side of the pitch in the north west quad?
  • Options
    That shot off the crossbar was ridiculously unfortunat, such power and accuracy.