Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cocktails

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sam, the bar manager ;-)
  • Options
    Mention of Rumours got me trying to remember where it was, and it led me to this nice article, written in 2005, but recalling Rumours' heyday from the cocktail wench's viewpoint, and how it went all "high-end ingredient"
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Sam, the bar manager ;-)

sam3110 said:

I work for London Cocktail Club in Shoreditch, we're kinda set up to be a dive bar, but still bang out decent cocktails

Thanks. If I was to say Hello, who should I ask for?
    I'd go with "Sam"
    I think you'll find most people on here use a nom-de-plume of some kind or other so it's not as obvious as you make out.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Sam, the bar manager ;-)

sam3110 said:

I work for London Cocktail Club in Shoreditch, we're kinda set up to be a dive bar, but still bang out decent cocktails

Thanks. If I was to say Hello, who should I ask for?
    I'd go with "Sam"
    I think you'll find most people on here use a nom-de-plume of some kind or other so it's not as obvious as you make out.
    don't know about anyone else but my name really is Juan Tufree
  • Options
    Yep. Thought so. I've still got "The Savoy Cocktail Book". Reprinted 1982 but updated only in 1965, original version 1930.

Mojito, not mentioned!!

Used to use that book a lot in the 80s, but kinda went off cocktails, other than mojitos and impressing Czechs with Pimms. Think I might get back into it, thanks to this thread.

if you are visiting, Prague does have one cocktail bar which is really highly rated on the international scene, Tretters.
  • Options

Yep. Thought so. I've still got "The Savoy Cocktail Book". Reprinted 1982 but updated only in 1965, original version 1930.

Mojito, not mentioned!!

Used to use that book a lot in the 80s, but kinda went off cocktails, other than mojitos and impressing Czechs with Pimms. Think I might get back into it, thanks to this thread.

if you are visiting, Prague does have one cocktail bar which is really highly rated on the international scene, Tretters goldfingers.

• Options
    Goldfingers is a bar for cocks with their tails up. But I can understand the confusion :-)
  • Options
    Love a proper caipirinha, or maybe a mojito. Not tried too many whisky cocktails, but nice with ginger ale and lime
  • Options
    Ive just put a new one on my list.

Matcha Sours
    Green tea gin, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, egg whites.

Im a massive cocktail snob, always order a manhatten, old fashioned or daiquiri first as a tester if im going to order another cocktail at any bar.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dark and stormy for me
  • Options
    Used to spend too much time and money on happy hour in the Long Island Iced Tea Shop on the corner of Great Newport St. and Upper St Martin's Lane!

Literally drank every cocktail on the menu, except for those with cream in them.

Favourites:

Long Island Iced Tea
    Zombie
    Very spicy Bloody Mary
    Cuba Libre
    Moscow Mule
    Rusty Nail
    Old Gashioned

• Options

Used to spend too much time and money on happy hour in the Long Island Iced Tea Shop on the corner of Great Newport St. and Upper St Martin's Lane!

Literally drank every cocktail on the menu, except for those with cream in them.

Favourites:

Long Island Iced Tea
    Zombie
    Very spicy Bloody Mary
    Cuba Libre
    Moscow Mule
    Rusty Nail
    Old Gashioned

Old Gashioned? Is that the house special at The Millers in Bexley?
  • Options

sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

Does a daiquiri count as a cocktail? If so, then thats mine. Got me absolutely smashed a few times in Mexico last year.

Definitely a cocktail, one of the oldest and greatest rum cocktails
    EastStand said:

Mojito is the worst cocktail. Most places just smash a bit of mint and sugar up in a glass, 50ml (if you're lucky) of Bacardi and top it with soda. You're paying £8+ for a double of shit rum.

I usually have a stirred dirty vodka martini (extra dirty, easy on the vermouth), a rye whisky old fashioned or a manhattan. I like my alcohol mixed with more alcohol. That's a cocktail.

No soda in our Mojito.

We have a nice Manhattan Sour on our menu, as well as a couple of decent "short, strong and brown" cocktails too.

Rye Whiskey is one of my favourite things to drink, a Canadian Rye with just a barspoon of maple syrup and some bitters, absolute heaven
    What's your recipe for a proper Mojito, Sam?
    2 parts white rum, 1 part sugar syrup, half a dozen lime wedges muddled in the bottom of the glass, a handful of mint leaves, crushed ice, churn it up and garnish with a mint sprig. All the dilution you need should come from the churning of the cocktail
    Yeah that's how I make it
    Down here, its served in a pint glass and with a chaser! ;)
  • Options
    Do Harvey Wallbangers still exist?

Used to drink them on occasion back in the day.
  • Options
    Whiskey Mac's are the bollocks... Dangerous though
  • Options
    Riviera said:

sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

Does a daiquiri count as a cocktail? If so, then thats mine. Got me absolutely smashed a few times in Mexico last year.

Definitely a cocktail, one of the oldest and greatest rum cocktails
    EastStand said:

Mojito is the worst cocktail. Most places just smash a bit of mint and sugar up in a glass, 50ml (if you're lucky) of Bacardi and top it with soda. You're paying £8+ for a double of shit rum.

I usually have a stirred dirty vodka martini (extra dirty, easy on the vermouth), a rye whisky old fashioned or a manhattan. I like my alcohol mixed with more alcohol. That's a cocktail.

No soda in our Mojito.

We have a nice Manhattan Sour on our menu, as well as a couple of decent "short, strong and brown" cocktails too.

Rye Whiskey is one of my favourite things to drink, a Canadian Rye with just a barspoon of maple syrup and some bitters, absolute heaven
    What's your recipe for a proper Mojito, Sam?
    2 parts white rum, 1 part sugar syrup, half a dozen lime wedges muddled in the bottom of the glass, a handful of mint leaves, crushed ice, churn it up and garnish with a mint sprig. All the dilution you need should come from the churning of the cocktail
    I used to frequent a Cuban bar near Rules in Covent Garden and their Mojito's were made with with darker rum, not Lambs dark but more a light brown. Does it have to be white run in a Mojito? I much prefer the darker ones.
    Most of the best commercial rums are gold in colour. I'd use a standard Mount Gay, £16 bottle.